2023-Looking Ahead

BStanRamFan

13 minutes ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

I agree with everything Colin said in the video. If the Chiefs vs Eagles SB has taught me anything, it’s that no matter how good your defense is (Eagles) a championship QB and some weapons will shred you every time in this league.

I want the Rams to address the edge position and perhaps a safety. But it’s looking like our resources are shifting to the offense. 

Some fans may be on board with this, but I want to look at a RB in FA. Akers has lost my trust, and I don’t care how good he looked the last few games of the season, he’s been here for years and could never solidify the main back position for himself. 

I'd prefer the draft for RB, but Kareem Hunt. Kenyan Drake, David Montgomery, and Samaje Perine are interesting FA options. I would have loved Saquon but that's not happening

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I'd prefer the draft for RB, but Kareem Hunt. Kenyan Drake, David Montgomery, and Samaje Perine are interesting FA options. I would have loved Saquon but that's not happening

Wouldn’t mind Ekeler. Trade Akers and a pick for him?? 

6 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Cowherd is based in LA and I would assume he has a decent source in the organization. Let's say he's right and this entire offseason is dedicated to building a top 5 offense. Who do we go after?

I don't buy Cowherd analysis at all. I don't think Mcvay use his retirement for more power on the personnel or anything...

Beside, it's not like we didn't adress the offense these last couple of years. 

We use our high draft pick to select player like Tutu, Akers, Van Jefferson, Darell Henderson and we signed players like OBJ or Allen Robinson last year. 

I mean, it's not like they didn't give him any weapons to be good in offense. They are just failling expectation. And also, he thought the OL was good so no need for him to improve this line. That's on him.

He made his choice and made some mistakes, that's simple as that. 

And maybe he did the right choice but Stafford ruined this by targeting too much Kupp and not everyone in the offense...it could also be an explanation.

14 minutes ago, Flounch said:

I don't buy Cowherd analysis at all. I don't think Mcvay use his retirement for more power on the personnel or anything...

Beside, it's not like we didn't adress the offense these last couple of years. 

We use our high draft pick to select player like Tutu, Akers, Van Jefferson, Darell Henderson and we signed players like OBJ or Allen Robinson last year. 

I mean, it's not like they didn't give him any weapons to be good in offense. They are just failling expectation. And also, he thought the OL was good so no need for him to improve this line. That's on him.

He made his choice and made some mistakes, that's simple as that. 

And maybe he did the right choice but Stafford ruined this by targeting too much Kupp and not everyone in the offense...it could also be an explanation.

Colin said he has his sources within the Rams organization and he has been spot on with a lot of his takes. He talked about Ramsey being traded before Ramsey started tweeting about things and it came out the Rams were looking trade him. Colin also said he heard nothing about McVay retiring when all the talk was he was retiring and was going to make a decision soon. So I wouldn’t totally dismiss Colin when it comes down to the Rams. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Colin said he has his sources within the Rams organization and he has been spot on with a lot of his takes. He talked about Ramsey being traded before Ramsey started tweeting about things and it came out the Rams were looking trade him. Colin also said he heard nothing about McVay retiring when all the talk was he was retiring and was going to make a decision soon. So I wouldn’t totally dismiss Colin when it comes down to the Rams. 

Ramsey being the one getting traded was pretty obvious but still something I personally didn't want to happen. After the SB everybody but him was extended and given more money. That alone tells you he was the one they felt they could do without. He goes to the Rams this off season and asks for the same thing and the Rams let him know it won't happen so he gets traded. 

12 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Kareem Hunt is definitely on my radar. One of the few vet RBs who’s not riddled with injuries. 

On 3/14/2023 at 10:56 AM, MDY10 said:

Wouldn’t mind Ekeler. Trade Akers and a pick for him?? 

The whole reason Ekeler wants out is because the Chargers and he are far apart on contract talks.  2023 is the last year of his current contract and paying him at just under $8m ($6.25m in new money/salary this season), so safe to say he's seeking in the $10m+ region given his recent production.  Now he's only 27, so there's likely a contract in him that takes him through his age-30 season before there's concern of the wheels falling off.  I bring this up more because of the timing concern - Ekeler, I would expect, would hold out for an extension with any team that traded for him before he played a snap or showed up to camp.  And I don't know that committing with draft assets and immediately available cap space to Ekeler (i.e. tacking a prorated portion of a signing bonus to an already $6m+ figure) is in our best interest, when the pick used to acquire Ekeler could just be spent on someone like Tank Bigsby (who is a pretty freaky fit for a McVay/LaFleur scheme).

That said, the Chargers aren't interested in Akers.  They just sunk a mid-round pick into Isaiah Spiller last year and Josh Kelley was productive for them when Ekeler missed time for injury.

• Like 1

so, if the bucs cut baker, we even won't get a comp pick and even if he stays the whole season its a 6th or 7th.
plus our only player signed by another team is the kicker? seems like plan 2024 does not look look pretty good.
i thought this was because we would have such a huge amount of cap space. to do what exactly?
signing fa's like leonard floyd?

but we collect alot of picks atleast. well, we will have less picks in 2024 than we have today for 2023. great.
i'm fine with rebuild and all that, but can we please put les snead on the list of a possible cut too next year?
2023 must be his best draft class or he needs to go.

I spoke with someone who has sources inside the team (I have a semi-large following on Twitter related to sports handicapping and have made contacts over the years.) You can choose to believe me if you want. Few tidbits from my conversation yesterday that I thought we would find interesting:

• One guy inside said " Man I dont know wtf we are doing" in regards to letting Edwards, Gaines, Scott all walk.
  • Aubrey Pleasant came back to coach Ramsey and was told he wouldn't be traded. He was pissed when they moved Ramsey regardless of compensation.
  • Rams brass love the following guys: Bobby Brown, Hoecht, Decobie, Kendrick, Ernest Jones (why we cut Wagner), Yeast and Lake.
  • They REALLY want OBJ back and it's likely down to Rams and Jets.
  • A-Rob came thinking it was the start of a dynasty and when he came he felt like the lockerroom came off "satisfied" with their super bowl win. Lack of hunger. He didn't make a big deal about it, just wanted to win. Felt like they looked at him as a "piece" and he thought he would be a playmaker, but wasn't given the chance. Then he hurt his foot on special teams and was turned off. He'll be cut post June 1st (no surprise).
  • Only big moves will be for their own guys or guys that have played for the Rams before. John Johnson III returning is very much on the table.
  • They are open to literally every position in the draft. No position they feel great about.

It's nothing earth shattering, but wanted to share. 

Edited by BStanRamFan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I spoke with someone who has sources inside the team (I have a semi-large following on Twitter related to sports handicapping and have made contacts over the years.) You can choose to believe me if you want. Few tidbits from my conversation yesterday that I thought we would find interesting:

• One guy inside said " Man I dont know wtf we are doing" in regards to letting Edwards, Gaines, Scott all walk.
  • Aubrey Pleasant came back to coach Ramsey and was told he wouldn't be traded. He was pissed when they moved Ramsey regardless of compensation.
  • Rams brass love the following guys: Bobby Brown, Hoecht, Decobie, Kendrick, Ernest Jones (why we cut Wagner), Yeast and Lake.
  • A-Rob came thinking it was the start of a dynasty and when he came he felt like the lockerroom came off "satisfied" with their super bowl win. Lack of hunger. He didn't make a big deal about it, just wanted to win. Felt like they looked at him as a "piece" and he thought he would be a playmaker, but wasn't given the chance. Then he hurt his foot on special teams and was turned off. He'll be cut post June 1st (no surprise).
  • Only big moves will be for their own guys or guys that have played for the Rams before. John Johnson III returning is very much on the table.
  • They are open to literally every position in the draft. No position they feel great about.

Definitely interesting if true. Feel for Aubrey if that’s the case.  Wouldn’t mind a JJ return, but if they like those young safeties back there then why bring him in? 

I still think OBJ would be really solid. I doubt it’ll happen at this point but if the defense is going to be doodoo I’m hoping the offense can score 30 per game. I personally think he’s still a good WR. 

22 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Thanks for the insight. But i have a hard time believing A Rob would be cut post june. I think the dead cap would be huge if we do it.

For me, letting Gaines walk for me was a mistake...he's still very young, i don't understand this move except...yeah we will have a 6th round compensatory pick for him 🙄

I don't really know what they are thinking, but scoring 30 pts with the same Oline than last year would be very hard.