Week 14: San Francisco 49ers vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers

J-ALL-DAY

I think what the Patriots did with Zappe earlier in the year is a good blueprint for how to succeed and win games with someone limited like Purdy. Super heavy play action and max protect. I'm sure Shanny will have the hot reads in place in case a team tries to blitz purdy out of his mind. 

Sure, Zappe played Detroit and Cleveland, but he did what was needed and then the defense did the rest. Though Zappe played worse teams, I don't think he has the weapons that Purdy does and this defense can probably do more heavy lifting. 

51 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Good stuff. 

Doesn't it seem like Purdy may have been slept on by the League during the draft season? I mean, from the moment he stepped foot on the field even back in training camp, players and coaches were raving about him. He played pretty well in pre-season, won the back up job over a coaching staff favorite, and even Shanahan mentioned he wanted to get Purdy on the field during the regular season earlier this year. 

Then, he goes out and looks pretty decent. It feels like if the draft happened again, he'd probably go a few rounds earlier. 

Yes, because people value physical tools that QB's almost never use, and overlook mental tools QB's use on every play.  

• Like 1

I love how we can be down to our 3rd string QB and folks still mainly have the same opinion of the team LOL. 

Speaks volume to Shanny's scheme and just the overall talent of the team. 

I still think this will be a tough game but the majority of the people are still picking us. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think what the Patriots did with Zappe earlier in the year is a good blueprint for how to succeed and win games with someone limited like Purdy. Super heavy play action and max protect. I'm sure Shanny will have the hot reads in place in case a team tries to blitz purdy out of his mind. 

Sure, Zappe played Detroit and Cleveland, but he did what was needed and then the defense did the rest. Though Zappe played worse teams, I don't think he has the weapons that Purdy does and this defense can probably do more heavy lifting. 

Purdy moved through his reads well, no need to dumb anything down for him.  I think we add a couple of concepts to the playbook with regards to play action, zone read, and bootlegs. 

The Bucks blitzed the saints the entire first quarter, and then stopped for most of the game.  I think they will try to blitz Purdy, but I think we beat it by hitting quick hitters to the outside and getting the ball to CMC or Deebo with numbers on a quick pass.  Purdy hung in there quite well against the blitz and delivered a few good footballs.  I don't think we will sit back and try to block their 6 rushers with 8 blockers on most plays.

5 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Purdy moved through his reads well, no need to dumb anything down for him.  I think we add a couple of concepts to the playbook with regards to play action, zone read, and bootlegs. 

The Bucks blitzed the saints the entire first quarter, and then stopped for most of the game.  I think they will try to blitz Purdy, but I think we beat it by hitting quick hitters to the outside and getting the ball to CMC or Deebo with numbers on a quick pass.  Purdy hung in there quite well against the blitz and delivered a few good footballs.  I don't think we will sit back and try to block their 6 rushers with 8 blockers on most plays.

Adding play action and max protect isn't dumbing anything down lol 

Hot reads are also not dumbing things down. They are a release valve that teams often have in place - you just may see more of those built in for this game given how often Bowles will blitz 

13 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Yes, because people value physical tools that QB's almost never use, and overlook mental tools QB's use on every play.  

If you think that QBs don't use physical tools, I don't know what to tell you. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Adding play action and max protect isn't dumbing anything down lol 

Hot reads are also not dumbing things down. They are a release valve that teams often have in place - you just may see more of those built in for this game given how often Bowles will blitz 

I don't recall seeing a lot of max protect since Lance was in the lineup.  Generally, Shanahan likes to use misdirection to create advantages with blocking numbers.  The ability to hang in there, work the screen game, and work short passes are the three things Purdy is good at from day 1, and it plays to Shanahan as a play caller.  If Purdy starts to eat contact and take sacks, we might see a few blockers added back there.  

I didn't say anything about not having safety vales on plays.  Having a hot route and check down are on each play is important for Purdy and this offense.  

Purdy doesn't have the strongest downfield arm, but neither did Jimmy, and the coaching staff and team were able to make the most of the 25 yard box that these guys play in.

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

If you think that QBs don't use physical tools, I don't know what to tell you. 

The noun is physical tools, then it is followed by the word "that", which would signify a qualifier in the type of physical tools in which I was describing.  The sub category of fiscal tools that QB's don't use very often.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I don't recall seeing a lot of max protect since Lance was in the lineup.  Generally, Shanahan likes to use misdirection to create advantages with blocking numbers.  The ability to hang in there, work the screen game, and work short passes are the three things Purdy is good at from day 1, and it plays to Shanahan as a play caller.  If Purdy starts to eat contact and take sacks, we might see a few blockers added back there.  

I didn't say anything about not having safety vales on plays.  Having a hot route and check down are on each play is important for Purdy and this offense.  

Purdy doesn't have the strongest downfield arm, but neither did Jimmy, and the coaching staff and team were able to make the most of the 25 yard box that these guys play in.

Adding extra blockers even if not a max protect is still spiritually the same thing. You're letting perfection in verbiage be an enemy.  And Shanny will do that and has done that even going back to uber successful seasons (2019). 

57 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

The noun is physical tools, then it is followed by the word "that", which would signify a qualifier in the type of physical tools in which I was describing.  The sub category of fiscal tools that QB's don't use very often.  

So you think that Purdy was overlooked because he doesn't run a 4.4? Because I'd argue the physical tools that made him a 7th round pick probably have more to do with his arm, which QBs use often as someone who passes the ball. If it's not his lack of running ability and breakaway speed, and it can't be his arm that you're referencing, do you think it's just his measurables H / W / L ?

If Purdy was overlooked because of physical tools that QBs don't use, why is Zappe a 4th round pick and Purdy nearly undrafted? Why is Colt McCoy a third round pick? If Purdy succeeds, I'd actually argue that it's the underrating of intangible qualities that Purdy may have more so than an overrating of physical tools he lacks and aren't used by QBs. Sometimes it happens. Look at Taylor Heinicke. Dude is not a great QB, but he definitely has a certain degree of moxie that just translates on the field that allows him to be more effective than guys with far superior physical traits. I honestly can't explain it. 

29 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I love how we can be down to our 3rd string QB and folks still mainly have the same opinion of the team LOL. 

Speaks volume to Shanny's scheme and just the overall talent of the team. 

I still think this will be a tough game but the majority of the people are still picking us. 

I was listening to Ben Solak yesterday and he was laughing because he was adamant that this team is going to win a playoff game with Brock Purdy starting and I think he found it hilarious because he truly believes it 

Nacho's updated PFF top 5 / bottom 5. Andy Dalton is top 5 qb apparently. 

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

A disclaimer: I do not own a PFF subscription but my friend does and sent me this list to post it. PFF is obviously flawed, and in some cases downright laughable, I do not necessarily share their opinions on the top/worst players. Still, this should be interesting. Keep in mind their new player grade scale lists players via a 1-100 format. Also keep in mind that players of most positions who do not have a certain Snap % are not included (I think its like 25%).

Previous update (Week 9): https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/45924-profootballfocus-topbottom-at-every-position-as-of-week-9-2022/

QUARTERBACK

Top 6:
1. Patrick Mahomes 91.4
2. Josh Allen 90.8
3. Tua Tagovailoa 90.4
4. Joe Burrow 88.0
5a. Andy Dalton 87.0
5b. Jalen Hurts 87.0

Bottom 6:
1. Zach Wilson 48.8
2. Taylor Heinicke 49.0
3. Baker Mayfield 52.2
4. Joe Flacco 55.0
5. Cooper Rush 57.3
6. Mac Jones 59.1

RUNNINGBACK

Top 7:
1. Josh Jacobs 93.4
2. Nick Chubb 90.5
3. Aaron Jones 87.8
4. Tony Pollard 86.8
5. Brian Robinson 86.4
6. Christian McCaffrey 85.9
7. Rhamondre Stevenson 85.2

Bottom 7:
1. Chase Edmonds 45.6
2. Melvin Gordon 49.1
3. J.D. McKissic 54.2
4. Jerrick McKinnon 54.8
5. Kenneth Gainwell 55.5
6. Darrell Henderson 57.7
7. Kenyan Drake 57.8

FULLBACK

Top 5:
1. Michael Burton 77.2
2. Derek Watt 74.1
3. Patrick Ricard 63.4
4. Kyle Juszczyk 63.2
5. Alec Ingold 62.1

Bottom 5:
1. Adam Prentice 40.8
2. C.J. Ham 48.6
3. Troy Hairston 50.0
4. Keith Smith 51.0
5. Jason Cabinda 52.5

WIDE RECEIVER

Top 8:
1. Tyreek Hill 92.6
2a. Stefon Diggs 90.7
2b. Davante Adams 90.7
2c. Amon-Ra St. Brown 90.7
5. Justin Jefferson 88.9
6. CeeDee Lamb 88.6
7. A.J. Brown 86.4
8. Cooper Kupp 86.3

Bottom 8:
1. Shi Smith 46.5
2. Keelan Cole 47.0
3. Robbie Anderson 47.8
4. Cam Sims 49.2
5. Marcus Johnson 50.9
6. Bennett Showronek 54.0
7a. A.J. Green 54.9
7b. David Bell 54.9

TIGHT END

Top 6:
1. Travis Kelce 91.3
2. David Njoku 81.4
3. Pat Freirmuth 79.6
4. Mark Andrews 79.2
5. Chigoziem Okonkwo 77.8
6. Dallas Goedert 77.2

Bottom 6:
1. Tre' McKitty 30.4
2. Trey McBride 35.6
3. Quintin Morris 41.8
4. Tommy Tremble 47.3
5. Mo Alie-Cox 48.9
6. Johnny Mundt 49.4

OFFENSIVE TACKLE

Top 7:
1. Trent Williams 93.8
2. Christian Darrisaw 90.0
3. Andrew Thomas 86.9
4. Tristan Wirfs 86.8
5. Kaleb McGary 84.3
6. Lane Johnson 83.4
7. David Bakhtiari 82.1

Bottom 7:
1. Greg Little 32.4
2. Matt Pryor 44.0
3. George Fant 47.3
4. Spencer Brown 48.8
5. Evan Neal 49.5
6. Dennis Daley 50.0
7. Tyre Phillips 52.8

OFFENSIVE GUARD

Top 7:
1. Chris Lindstrom 93.8
2. Joel Bitonio 87.7
3. Michael Onwenu 81.6
4. Teven Jenkins 80.1
5. Joe Thuney 75.9
6. Quinn Meinerz 75.6
7. Robert Hunt 75.5

Bottom 7:
1. Bobby Evans 29.8
2. Calvin Throckmorton 33.9
3. Cody Ford 35.4
4. Kenyon Green 40.7
5a. Dillon Radunz 41.5
5b. Luke Goedeke 41.5
7. Dan Skipper 41.6

CENTER

Top 5:
1. Jason Kelce 89.4
2. Creed Humphrey 88.1
3. Ethan Pocic 83.0
4. Frank Ragnow 80.2
5. Connor Williams 77.5

Bottom 5:
1. Scott Quessenberry 39.5
2. Sean Harlow 43.4
3. Billy Price 47.9
4. Austin Blythe 50.6
5. Coleman Shelton 53.3

CORNERBACK

Top 7:
1. Isaiah Rodgers 85.7
2. Sauce Gardner 84.2
3. L'Jarius Sneed 83.5
4. Jalen Ramsey 82.2
5. Patrick Peterson 80.6
6. Jamel Dean 80.1
7a. Stephon Gilmore 79.5
7b. Michael Carter II 79.5

Bottom 7:
1. Amani Oruwariye 28.5
2. J.C. Jackson 28.7
3. Darnay Holmes 42.3
4. Damarion Williams 43.5
5. Jalen Mills 44.6
6. Pauslon Adebo 45.1
7. Ahkello Witherspoon 45.4

SAFETY

Top 7:
1. Minkah Fitzpatrick 85.2
2. Kamren Curl 85.0
3. Kyle Hamilton 84.6
4. Ryan Neal 81.3
5. Rudy Ford 79.6
6. Andrew Adams 79.3
7. Malik Hooker 79.1

Bottom 7:
1. Dane Belton 29.4
2. Tre Norwood 35.6
3. Darnell Savage 46.5
4. Jalen Pitre 47.8
5. Jeremy Chinn 48.1
6. Jaquan Johnson 48.9
7. Johnathan Abram 49.5

LINEBACKER

Top 7:
1. Bobby Wagner 90.4
2. Alex Singleton 85.9
3. T.J. Edwards 84.6
4. Lavonte David 84.1
5. Fred Warner 83.1
6. Tremaine Edmunds 83.0
7. Dre Greenlaw 82.5

Bottom 7:
1. Christian Harris 28.6
2. Tae Crowder 29.6
3. Kamu Grugier-Hill 30.0
4. Jacob Phillips 36.7
5. Micah McFadden 37.3
6. Kenneth Murray 37.9
7. Jayon Brown 40.2

"INTERIOR DEFENDER"

Top 7:
1. Chris Jones 91.9
2. Dexter Lawrence 91.4
3. Aaron Donald 90.5
4. Quinnen Williams 90.2
5. Cameron Heyward 88.7
6. Jeffery Simmons 86.1
7. Derrick Brown 85.5

Bottom 7:
1. Zachary Carter 28.8
2. Tyson Alualu 29.5
3. Justin Ellis 29.7
4. Tommy Togiai 30.4
5. Michael Dogbe 31.1
6. Michael Dwumfour 31.7
7. Quinton Bohanna 32.5

"EDGE DEFENDER"

Top 7:
1. Myles Garrett 92.2
2. Micah Parsons 91.4
3. Maxx Crosby 90.2
4. Nick Bosa 89.9
5. Brandon Graham 89.7
6. Montez Sweat 87.3
7a. Von Miller 85.8
7b. Josh Uche 85.8

Bottom 7:
1. Alex Wright 40.2
2. Robert Quinn 41.2
3. Adetokunbo Ogundeji 41.4
4. Jihad Ward 43.1
5. Chris Rumph 44.8
6. Tomon Fox 45.6
7. Terrell Lewis 46.1

KICKER

Top 5:
1. Justin Tucker 90.3
2. Brett Maher 89.2
3. Matt Gay 83.3
4. Jason Myers 82.4
5. Greg Zeurlein 80.3

Bottom 5:
1. Rodrigo Blankenship 42.6
2. Greg Joseph 49.0
3. Cairo Santos 49.4
4. Jason Sanders 54.1
5. Harrison Butker 56.7

PUNTER

Top 5:
1. A.J. Cole III 85.8
2. Riley Dixon 84.8
3. Tommy Townsend 81.8
4. Bradley Pinion 78.1
5. Logan Cooke 77.3

Bottom 5:
1. Michael Palardy 52.9
2. Kevin Huber 54.4
3. Arryn Siposs 55.0
4. Trenton Gill 56.3
5. Jake Bailey 57.5

I'll post a final update after the conclusion of the regular season.

Tua definitely missed on some throws but it is hilarious how Simms ignores how Warner took the middle of the field away and made him throw more to the sidelines. He's made a killing in the middle of the field and that's where he is most accurate at but it was taken away from and as result, he ended up being less accurate. 

The Niners would feel just fine if they get this rematch as well. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Tua definitely missed on some throws but it is hilarious how Simms ignores how Warner took the middle of the field away and made him throw more to the sidelines. He's made a killing in the middle of the field and that's where he is most accurate at but it was taken away from and as result, he ended up being less accurate. 

The Niners would feel just fine if they get this rematch as well. 

Haven't seen 49ers defense exposed like that in a long time...

49ers gave up a 40 burger to the Chiefs a little over a month before in one of the worst defensive team performances of the last 20 or so years by epa I believe

• Like 1