Week 14: San Francisco 49ers vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers

J-ALL-DAY

16 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

we have Jackrabbit on ours, I assume he would be next after DJ, of course.  Every time a bell rings, Dontae Johnson gains or loses his roster spot.

Dontae got hurt in this one. Not sure how serious. We lost him and Womack 

2 hours ago, straighthate said:

Heard Shanny say it but first I had heard of it. When did Purdy hurt it? Guessing some time after starters should have been out anyway 

Purdy said it was due to all of the hits he took throughout the game. Sounds like a pain issue and maybe some bruising in uncomfortable spots

58 minutes ago, adamq said:

What a run. 6 in a row since the KC game

31-14 Rams

22-16 Chargers

38-10 Cardinals

13-0 Saints

33-17 Dolphins

35-7 Bucs

McCaffrey has provided a major juice to the offense. He’s just the grease that lets the thing keep moving. It’s awesome. I expected him to be good, but it’s been transformative. We haven’t played any major teams, but kicking butt is kicking butt. 

• Like 3

Purdy's passing thus far looks way more polished than Trey when he showcased what he can do. That's not surprising due to the limited experience, but as a consumer it's immediately comforting to not see balls consistently sail into another area code. Purdy was still off the mark a couple of times, but at a rate that wasn't disturbing. 

A friend of mine texted me saying he'd much rather have a QB that just scrambles when he has to, instead of having someone that has a running skillset as their offensive hallmark. Guessing he meant more Steve Young/Fran Tarkenton than Lamar Jackson/Josh Allen/Trey Lance with how he was looking to be used. I might be inclined to agree. Obviously he's not at a Steve Young level or that type of athlete, but he has some Roger "The Dodger" Staubach mobility in him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

We haven’t played any major teams, but kicking butt is kicking butt. 

I don’t know that I’d say that. During that six game streak, if the season ended today 3 of those 6 (Dolphins, Chargers, and Bucs) would be in the playoffs. Agreed they aren’t the elite of the NFL like KC or Philly, but these aren’t all teams picking in the top ten in the draft this off-season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

A friend of mine texted me saying he'd much rather have a QB that just scrambles when he has to, instead of having someone that has a running skillset as their offensive hallmark. Guessing he meant more Steve Young/Fran Tarkenton than Lamar Jackson/Josh Allen/Trey Lance with how he was looking to be used. I might be inclined to agree. Obviously he's not at a Steve Young level or that type of athlete, but he has some Roger "The Dodger" Staubach mobility in him. 

100%. Steve Young couldn’t win the big one until he realized he was a thrower of the football before a runner. Even guys like Russell Wilson aren’t runners. They scramble around until someone gets open to throw it to. It’s nice to have a guy that can pick up ten yards on a scramble when no one can get open, but it’s way more important to be able to buy some time for your receivers to get open and hit them for a bit gain. 

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

McCaffrey has provided a major juice to the offense. He’s just the grease that lets the thing keep moving. It’s awesome. I expected him to be good, but it’s been transformative. We haven’t played any major teams, but kicking butt is kicking butt. 

Shanny has long wanted a natural receiver out of the backfield and has tried like crazy to obtain one. First he signed McKinnon to a big deal when he had not shown he could be an every down back but he did not care as he was a good receiving back. Then he tried to sign Bell who in his prime was one of the best receivers in the entire league when it came to route running. And now he finally gets his guy in CMC and the offense has been booming since he came the starter during the six game win streak.

In those six games, he has 388 rushing yards on 81 carries (4.8 YPC) and more importantly 33 catches for 292 yards. Oh yeah, six TDs to go along with those numbers. 

No doubt he's been a game changer and we are back to having a top 7ish offensive unit. In the seven games before he became THE guy, we had surpassed the 30 points mark only one time and in the last six games we have surpassed that mark four times. 

Game on for the rest of the NFC. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Purdy's passing thus far looks way more polished than Trey when he showcased what he can do. That's not surprising due to the limited experience, but as a consumer it's immediately comforting to not see balls consistently sail into another area code. Purdy was still off the mark a couple of times, but at a rate that wasn't disturbing. 

It probably always will. Trey's passing motion is really long and it's going to be prone to hiccups and inconsistencies because of that. Harder to get the motion perfect every time when it's that much longer. He's also overly aggressive down the field in comparison to what shanny usually has in his offense

49 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Couldn't care less how they do it, so long as they move the chains. You have to be able to throw the ball and throw the ball well from the pocket. Allen and Lamar will torch you with their arm just as well as their legs. Same for Hurts this year.  Wanting a scrambler as opposed to a runner if each one has the same capabilities as a passer is pretty much splitting hairs to me.