Week 14: San Francisco 49ers vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers

J-ALL-DAY

5 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Man, for Purdy to be available at Mr. Irrelevant. For Shanny to pick him over someone who could be a ST contributor. For him to beat out Sudfeld and decide to keep 3 QB's on the 53. And this move saved our season

Funny story, on another site's forum this user 9moon said it was a dumb pick, because we could have drafted Dohnovan West, who isn't even on any teams practice squad, I kid you not, he complained about the pick for so long, just dumb.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

Funny story, on another site's forum this user 9moon said it was a dumb pick, because we could have drafted Dohnovan West, who isn't even on any teams practice squad, I kid you not, he complained about the pick for so long, just dumb.

I thought it was a wasted pick as well, though I didn't really care about it. I mean, it was the last pick in the draft lol. 

• Like 4

Just now, Forge said:

I thought it was a wasted pick as well, though I didn't really care about it. I mean, it was the last pick in the draft lol. 

I mean, I didn't think Purdy would make the roster, but this guy was adamant that we wasted a precious pick on a QB.

• Like 2

Purdy looks great. He's avg over 30 points a game in 2 starts vs likely playoff teams. jimmy struggled to score 20 vs virtally every team outside the division.

I didn't think much of Purdy either. Why should i have? he's "mr irrelevant". i called him "brock mullens". the chances finding a starter QB taken after the 3rd round is like hitting the lottery. but there's no denying it. he's got SOMETHING -at least right now. we'll see what happens when NFL DCs have enough on the kid to put together a proper gameplan against him. 

I was bullish on Lance, but he can't stay healthy and his development is so far behind at this point and no one seems to have ANY interest at all in letting him develop in real time, so whatever. I've resigned my bullishness and leave his future to the powers that be with complete indifference.  

at least now the 49ers can finally rid themselves of Jimmy Mythappolo.

If Purdy shocks the world and wins the superbowl he's the guy next year and Lance is just going to have to develop on the bench and wait for an opportunity - which should come being that the 49ers can keep their QBs healthy. 

If purdy doesn't win the superbowl next year I'm still on board with shooting the moon on Tom Brady next year. I don't think he's washed. I think Tampa just sucks and he saw it coming that's why he retired and tried to force his way out. again 49ers cant keep their QBs healthy... so if Brady goes down you go right back to Purdy. 

and then in 2025 brady's gone and you let Purdy/Lance have a QB comp

Edited by Herodreamer79

Also, once the 49ers wrap up the division the rest of the season is basically irrelevant - no pun intended. 

There's only 1 post-season bye week and i highly doubt we're running down Philly. The division guarantees us a home game at worst.. and we don't really get much benefit from improving it. so what's the point to the rest of the regular season?

They can literally start resting people and taking minimum risks the rest of the way if they want. 

Edited by Herodreamer79

2 hours ago, Forge said:

It probably always will. Trey's passing motion is really long and it's going to be prone to hiccups and inconsistencies because of that. Harder to get the motion perfect every time when it's that much longer. He's also overly aggressive down the field in comparison to what shanny usually has in his offense

Couldn't care less how they do it, so long as they move the chains. You have to be able to throw the ball and throw the ball well from the pocket. Allen and Lamar will torch you with their arm just as well as their legs. Same for Hurts this year.  Wanting a scrambler as opposed to a runner if each one has the same capabilities as a passer is pretty much splitting hairs to me. 

I think my boy just didn't want to see someone get hurt again in Kyle's offense. 

A Panthers fan made these comment elsewhere in regards to Purdy mania. I got a chuckle, with potential tears to follow, because it might be true. I've just seen too many promising starts from the likes of Tim Rattay, Shaun Hill, Nick Mullens to get me to buy in so quick. And that's just with the 49ers alone. 

I see from the comments that we're back on the young QB with low draft pedigree hype train.

1. Young QB gets first playing time and looks okay

2. QB gets first start and looks unexpectedly good

3. He's the new starter now! This team really struck gold (You are here)

4. Next team looks at tape from the QB

5. QB has much worse results

6. More tape

7. QB looks mediocre to bad

8. Maybe he was drafted late for a reason.

See:

Keenum, Case

Zappe, Bailey

White, Mike

Walker, PJ

Mullens, Nick

Allen, Kyle

Heinecke, Taylor

I'm expecting Purdy to really fall back down to Earth on Thursday against Seattle. 49ers might still get the win via the running game due to the Squawks horrible defense, but I think the potential victory might come in spite of a terrible Purdy performance. Hope he balls out though. The weapons, and maybe best QB coaching staff are a huge bonus for him. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

I was hopeful for the Trey pick to work out,and it may still do so but I doubt it.

Purdy is looking good right now, his TD run was a thing of beauty, picking his way through the d untouched into the end zone.

2 solid wins against good opposition, plenty of points scored.

Purdy making magic happen and I'm almost always dumbfounded. Like, it feels like it shouldn't be sustainable, but he keeps making things happen, in different ways and against defensive looks. 

Like that play where he rolled out, a defender had him dead to rights, and Purdy just sidesteps him  and throws a dime on the run over one defender and under another to Deebo.

Or that play where he pump fakes and then throws a TD to Aiyuk. Aiyuk's route and Purdy's pump fake made the defender bite hard

Or that play where he throws a beautiful back shoulder TD pass to McCaffrey where only he can get it 

Or that play on 2nd & goal where he drops back, doesn't like what he sees, so he scrambles, jukes Devin White and runs for a TD

These are all elements we've been missing for years. And he did it all in one half against a Todd Bowles led defense..

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Purdy making magic happen and I'm almost always dumbfounded. Like, it feels like it shouldn't be sustainable, but he keeps making things happen, in different ways and against defensive looks. 

Like that play where he rolled out, a defender had him dead to rights, and Purdy just sidesteps him  and throws a dime on the run over one defender and under another to Deebo.

Or that play where he pump fakes and then throws a TD to Aiyuk. Aiyuk's route and Purdy's pump fake made the defender bite hard

Or that play where he throws a beautiful back shoulder TD pass to McCaffrey where only he can get it 

Or that play on 2nd & goal where he drops back, doesn't like what he sees, so he scrambles, jukes Devin White and runs for a TD

These are all elements we've been missing for years. And he did it all in one half against a Todd Bowles led defense..

Yeah, I'm not sure how sustainable it is. Nick Mullens against the Raiders, etc. etc. But Brock did more than just pilot the offense and take advantage of coverage busts. He basically did the stuff that the Jets drafted Zach Wilson at 2 to do. Make quick decisions and operate the offense most of the time. Get the kill shots deep down the field when they are there. Make a couple of really impressive off schedule arm-strengthy throws. It was one of the more impressive halves of football I've seen in a while from a young quarterback. A lot of those other names - your Kyle Allens and whatever - were basically checkdown Charlies with a good roster. This wasn't a checkdown Charlie game. Now, I do think that we're going to see turnover regression from Purdy. He's gotten super lucky with a couple of plays. But even with a little turnover regression, he'd be impressive. It's just if there is massive turnover regression that we'd have a problem. 

• Like 3