Week 14: San Francisco 49ers vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers

J-ALL-DAY

5 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

If we win Thursday we get the 3 seed, I don’t think we can get the 4 seed unless we lose out and ATL wins out since there the only South team that beat us

Nope, if we win on Thursday night, then we are locked into one of the top 3 seeds. We would be 10-4 with only three games remaining while the Falcons already have 8 losses. 

8 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We got TWO 20+ yard TDs on the left sideline yesterday BUT, the great David Lombardi told us this last week:

It's down right laughable how smart he thinks he is when he tweets these things LOL. While the middle of the field is definitely something this offense will always target, he is INSANE if he believes Shanny wants everything thrown there and to avoid the sidelines. 

Hopefully Purdy does not take Lombardi's advice and continues attacking the sidelines!!!!

Yea that's laughable. No need to try and pump up Jimmy and downplay his limitations. We target the area he's most comfortable operating in. Doesn't take a rocket science to figure that out.

I tried to temper my expectations last week. But yesterday just confirmed what I was hoping I would see...

This offense is more dangerous with Purdy than Jimmy. 

I know it's only two games. And Purdy will have his Jimmy-esque moments, like that int that got overturned.

BUT this offense is more dangerous with Purdy@QB than Jimmy.

Purdy is more athletic, which allows from him to escape the pocket and make off schedule plays. Jimmy couldn't.

He's not afraid to push the ball downfield, outside the numbers. That means more grass for defenses to have defend, which helps create space between the hashes. Jimmy just simply refused to make those throws. 

His throws off platform are effortless and crazy accurate. Those are plays Jimmy would make once in a blue moon, never routinely. Those type of throws keeps us from facing a bunch of 2nd/3rd and Long. It keeps us manageable situations and allows for more options from your playcaller. 

We absolutely let off the gas when we got it to 35-0. The stat line doesn't do justice to just how efficient Purdy was and how he maximized the opportunities presented to him. It was as if he was a 10 year starter out there. That's with one full week of QB1 reps. It's hard to believe he can be better but I actually think he can....and he will be.

Might not happen on a short week, on the road, in one of the most hostile environments in the league. BUT if he can pull it off....with no Deebo also?? Maaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnn listen....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 49erscap said:

Dontae Johnson tore his ACL, I know we make jokes about him, but DAMN, feel for him.

Yeah that really sucks. Even as up and down as he's been, he's a decent backup, and was able to hang on as a fringe starter last season opposite the corpse of Josh Norman. Wouldn't have minded having him back in the lineup for the stretch to the playoffs with his experience in the defense. Already 31, so I wonder if he calls it a career. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

PFF’s highest- and lowest-graded 49ers players vs. Buccaneers, plus snap counts

The San Francisco 49ers improved their record to 9-4 after a 35-7 win against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Week 14. Today, Pro Football Focus released its grades from the game. Which Niners played well, and who has more work to do?

Below are Pro Football Focus' five highest-graded 49ers players on offense against the Buccaneers.

Trent Williams, LT, 84.7, 58 snaps
Jordan Mason, RB, 79.4, 19 snaps
Mike McGlinchey, RT, 75.2, 58 snaps
Brandon Aiyuk, WR, 74.7, 49 snaps
Jake Brendel, C, 74.1, 58 snaps

Below are the five highest-graded 49ers players on defense.

Azeez Al-Shaair, LB, 90.0, 11 snaps
Dre Greenlaw, LB, 83.9, 71 snaps
Charvarius Ward, CB, 79.7, 76 snaps
Samson Ebukam, DE, 73.8, 38 snaps
Tashaun Gipson Sr., FS, 73.3, 72 snaps

Below are the three lowest-graded 49ers players on offense.

Spencer Burford, RG, 39.5, 41 snaps
Tyler Kroft, TE, 42.7, 16 snaps
Jauan Jennings, WR, 49.5, 22 snaps

Below are the three lowest-graded 49ers players on defense.

Kerry Hyder, DT, 43.9, 30 snaps
Arik Armstead, DE, 51.7, 51 snaps
Charles Omenihu, DE, 51.8, 41 snaps

In his first NFL start, rookie quarterback Brock Purdy earned the eighth-highest grade among his offensive teammates. Purdy finished the game 16-of-21 for 185 passing yards, three touchdowns (two passing, one rushing), and a passer rating of 134.0. His 69.1 overall grade was a step higher than the 61.4 mark he earned in his first extended playing time—Week 13 against the Dolphins.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/164560-pffs-highest-lowest-graded-49ers-players-buccaneers-plus-counts/

13 hours ago, Herodreamer79 said:

Locked in as a 3 seed. 49ers can beat Seattle and treat the rest of the season like pre-season. plays starters for quarter or two and call it a day. let purdy heal up. wrap trent williams and nick bosa in bubble wrap. 

Except none of this will happen. First, Kyle has a terrible track record of pulling the plug on starters. Second, some of these guys have incentive bonuses for downs played, production etc. Coaches do not like cheating a player out of money. Last, you have the battle of becoming stagnant versus staying in a rhythm. 

As long as the 1 and 2 seeds are a possibility you will see guys playing.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Check out JTO's breakdown of Purdy. Specifically, the TD play to Aiyuk. JTO says that what Purdy did at the LoS not only saved them from getting flagged, but also is something that 10 year vets rarely do and rookies almost never do. 

On that play, Aiyuk said that Shanahan and Purdy had gotten that double move installed the night before and it wasn't a part of the game plan during the week. So McCloud and Kittle weren't on the same page for the shifts and motions and Purdy had to direct everything. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

On that play, Aiyuk said that Shanahan and Purdy had gotten that double move installed the night before and it wasn't a part of the game plan during the week. So McCloud and Kittle weren't on the same page for the shifts and motions and Purdy had to direct everything. 

And he did it all really well and was in command of the play the whole time. Very impressive.

• Like 1