Week 14: San Francisco 49ers vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers

J-ALL-DAY

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Haven't seen 49ers defense exposed like that in a long time...

49ers gave up a 40 burger to the Chiefs a little over a month before in one of the worst defensive team performances of the last 20 or so years by epa I believe

Yeah, that Chiefs game was wild. That was one of those where our zones just couldn't get close enough to receivers and Mahomes tore it to absolute shreds. Mahomes is awesome (and we were banged up on the line), but he's not always as perfect as he was that day. Really impressive. That and the Josh Allen game in 2020 are the only two games since 2019 where it felt like the defense just couldn't handle what was being thrown at them.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

So you think that Purdy was overlooked because he doesn't run a 4.4? Because I'd argue the physical tools that made him a 7th round pick probably have more to do with his arm, which QBs use often as someone who passes the ball. If it's not his lack of running ability and breakaway speed, and it can't be his arm that you're referencing, do you think it's just his measurables H / W / L ? 

Crocker had a guy on his show yesterday that trained Purdy for the draft with QB Collective and he said they worked on a few mechanical issues to increase his velo by 5 mph, which he said is virtually unheard of. His draft value was mostly based on the arm like you stated and his overall stature. He played against good comp in College and as a 3 1/2-4 year starter played a ton of ball, but we all know that teams take the high upside of more measurable QBs. Especially in the back half of the draft. It makes sense that he ended up where he did. He isn't  top 3 round talent and could have easily been anywhere from 4-7

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Tua definitely missed on some throws but it is hilarious how Simms ignores how Warner took the middle of the field away and made him throw more to the sidelines. He's made a killing in the middle of the field and that's where he is most accurate at but it was taken away from and as result, he ended up being less accurate. 

The Niners would feel just fine if they get this rematch as well. 

Agreed, he's almost like Acho, saying because of 2 plays Parsons does more than Bosa, where Sims bases it off of players being open? What about the pressure we did get on Tua, or like your said Warner took the middle away.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Haven't seen 49ers defense exposed like that in a long time...

49ers gave up a 40 burger to the Chiefs a little over a month before in one of the worst defensive team performances of the last 20 or so years by epa I believe

Right? That also made no sense LOL. I will say, the team is becoming more opportunistic as of late while opposing QBs are having some success in the passing game. But once the pass rush gets better, then I suspect that will go back to the norm. With Armstead getting in better form by each week, it's going to unlock something we haven't had all season in that regard.

But yeah, the defense definitely did not get exposed even though Tua DID miss some open targets. Both can be true. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Forge said:

So you think that Purdy was overlooked because he doesn't run a 4.4? Because I'd argue the physical tools that made him a 7th round pick probably have more to do with his arm, which QBs use often as someone who passes the ball. If it's not his lack of running ability and breakaway speed, and it can't be his arm that you're referencing, do you think it's just his measurables H / W / L ? 

I'm on my phone now at work, so response grammar may suck.

The quote was generally speaking, and I had a list of guys.  Goff's 70 yard passes, Mitch Trubiski's Height, weight, speed, athleticism.  Trey Lance's ability to truck guys at the fcs level.  

I think the combo of short, with less than adequate arm strength is what dropped him.  Most throws in this system are short to intermediate, so although he uses his arm, he doesn't use top end arm strength on most plays, and neither did Jimmy G. 

I understood max protect to mean keeping specifically 8 men blocking.  Not 6, 7, or 8, but I'm wrong all the time.

2 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Crocker had a guy on his show yesterday that trained Purdy for the draft with QB Collective and he said they worked on a few mechanical issues to increase his velo by 5 mph, which he said is virtually unheard of. His draft value was mostly based on the arm like you stated and his overall stature. He played against good comp in College and as a 3 1/2-4 year starter played a ton of ball, but we all know that teams take the high upside of more measurable QBs. Especially in the back half of the draft. It makes sense that he ended up where he did. He isn't  top 3 round talent and could have easily been anywhere from 4-7

This is a great response. Agree with a lot of it. 

I have no idea ultimately what Purdy is. Odds are stacked against him being good, but it's not impossible either. It'll be weeks before I'm comfortable with him...hell, it may not happen until next year or later. But like you said, guys like this can go anywhere on day 3 and nobody is going to be that surprised. If the pats had taken Purdy where they took Zappe and we took Zappe where we took Purdy, does anyone bat an eyelash? I don't think so. So I don't think it's a "purdy was overlooked thing" so much as it's just a preference thing and sometimes maybe an "I made a choice" thing and then nobody else in the immediate aftermath likes either of those guys as much. 

3 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I understood max protect to mean keeping specifically 8 men blocking.  Not 6, 7, or 8, but I'm wrong all the time.

Depends on where you go for a definition, tbh lol 

Generally, I would personally view max protect as 7 or maybe 6+ a chip given how frequent 6 is. 

17 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

What would y'all say is Purdy's best case comparison?

At this juncture, there really isn't any reason to change pre-draft expectations 

Colt McCoy would be a really good long term, approachable comp result. Case Keenum ? He's a little more skittish and boppy in the pocket than Keenum, but they are comparable in terms of true speed I think.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

This is a great response. Agree with a lot of it. 

I have no idea ultimately what Purdy is. Odds are stacked against him being good, but it's not impossible either. It'll be weeks before I'm comfortable with him...hell, it may not happen until next year or later. But like you said, guys like this can go anywhere on day 3 and nobody is going to be that surprised. If the pats had taken Purdy where they took Zappe and we took Zappe where we took Purdy, does anyone bat an eyelash? I don't think so. So I don't think it's a "purdy was overlooked thing" so much as it's just a preference thing and sometimes maybe an "I made a choice" thing and then nobody else in the immediate aftermath likes either of those guys as much. 

Dead on correct. The Tom Brady scenario is a once in a generational scenario. If teams missed badly on late round QBs we would have much more evidence of it. We actually have more evidence of them missing on the early ones. As with anything these QBs are only going to ever be as good as the sum of their parts. The QB will only have success if the system fits, the coaching is good and the supporting pieces are good. It is extremely rare that a QB with less overall physical talent prospers regardess of at least 2 of the three mentioned.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Idk about best case, but I compared him to Minshew since draft season. 

I thought hard about including Minshew in my group as well, but ultimately decided against it if only because Minshew is like the Brandon Aiyuk of quarterbacks in the way his body is. He's like weirdly long with big hands for his size. I have no idea what that means or if that helps him or what lol. 

I also thought about including Taylor Heinicke, but Heinicke is far more athletic than Purdy so I took him out. But Purdy could have that same sort of "it factor" or moxie that you can't really gauge until you see it, if you know what I mean? I said it a few weeks ago in the NFL Gen thread but Heinicke does have that - he's the worst QB I've seen with the "it factor". It only exists like 3-5 times a game, but you see it like every game lol 

• Like 1