Titans Fire Jon Robinson (No, this isn't a joke)

-Hope-

Just now, titans0021 said:

I mean, please, fire Downing. But when Vrabel’s identity is clearly based around physical football and the run game, you shouldn’t be surprised that Robinson is held more accountable for assembling this abomination of an offensive line than Downing is for not being able to run the ball with this abomination of an offensive line.

Exactly. And I don't think this means he won't be held accountable. I just don't think they believe mid-season is the best time for coaching changes.

49 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

You can blame Wilson on covid, even though that was a bit of malpractice also because he had issues that clearly were not investigated. To me tho, the beginning of the end was the Farley pick. That pick is straight up idiotic. Just a dumb pick. With that injury history you just don't make that pick. You just cant make that pick.

Can you? Wasn't he a projected 3rd rounder?

i think one underrated failure is the sheer number of first round picks that never made it to a second contract. like, imagine if we had even just retained conklin. that alone might legitimately have saved robinson's job lol, because there would've been no need to draft 3 straight OTs, 2 of whom are massive busts. failing to keep guys like CD and adoree, AJ brown of course....you can't spend half the time bombing on early-round picks and the other half of the time hitting but then not locking them up long-term!

Edited by -Hope-
  • Like 2

So I have a lot of thoughts.  Primarily, that this is a bad move midseason.  Firing a GM isn't going to do anything right now to change the trajectory of this team this year.

I also think that firing Downing is the major thing that needs to be done, first and foremost.  I think his scheme holds this team back, even with the talent problems we have.

That said, I think Robinson has made many large errors in both the draft and free agency that he really should not have made.

Still, I do not think Robinson deserves the blame for everything that is wrong with this roster.  I'll start with the AJ Brown trade.  We have a scheme, and still had it at the time, that not only undervalues WRs in general, but also doesn't value getting the ball into the hands of playmakers.  AJ Brown having a career year as soon as he leaves this team says that we were not getting the most out of him.  It's hard for me to put all the blame on JRob for not wanting to invest a ton of money (the cap is real) on a position that the coaching staff won't utilize fully.

I also don't blame JRob completely for the OL issues.  Isaiah Wilson no one saw coming, and I think the staff is ******* up not having Radunz at least trying out LT, where he's been OK in the one start he got (and OK is far, far better than what we've got now).  I do think the Daley trade was a horrible move.  I also think drafting NPF over Abram Lucas was a foreseeable mistake he should not have made.

Still, the 2022 draft class looks very good overall.  Treylon Burks and Chig Okonkwo look like future stars, Malik Willis has shown enough to be excited about, and even though McCreary and Haskins were both bad resource decisions, they've been solid.  NPF and Phillips weren't the best players he could've gotten, but neither has been terrible, especially for their draft slot.

Overall, his entire body of work has him as an above average GM, and while there was a really bad stretch in both the draft and free agency in 2020 and 2021, 2022's draft decisions looked like the ship was being righted.

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

God I’d love to know what actually happened with AJ. The two stories were always so different. In light of the firing, I really struggle to believe the AJ demanded a trade, asked for $90 million per year and then blocked everyone’s numbers.

I've always believe we just handled the situation incredibly ****ty and pissed him off to where he wanted a trade. Maybe we wanted to offer him what he was worth eventually, but we had already shown him enough that he wanted no part of it. 

We all know AJBs personality. I'm sure part of it was him being a diva. The FO needs to be mindful of player's personalities when doing the business side of things.

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

No, he was pretty firmly projected as a high second rounder at least, and was sneaking into the first right before draft time.

Ah, okay. For some reason I thought everyone on the forum freaked out for the reach. Maybe I'm just remembering a couple posters who didn't like him though.

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

So I have a lot of thoughts.  Primarily, that this is a bad move midseason.  Firing a GM isn't going to do anything right now to change the trajectory of this team this year.

In my mind, this is the time when you would fire a gm. To me it isn't about being better now, it is about getting the succession ready for the off season and draft.

10 minutes ago, Daniel said:

No, he was pretty firmly projected as a high second rounder at least, and was sneaking into the first right before draft time.

Some places had him as a late third, but the consensus had him as a late 2nd rounder and the 8th best OT in the draft. He was a huge reach.

https://theathletic.com/1758405/2020/04/20/2020-consensus-big-board-top-300-nfl-draft-prospects/

Edited by TitanSS

Just now, seminoles1 said:

Ah, okay. For some reason I thought everyone on the forum freaked out for the reach. Maybe I'm just remembering a couple posters who didn't like him though.

the bigger red flag is that there was chatter that a lot of teams took him off their boards due to character concerns that we apparently didn't catch. hard to actually confirm the extent of that though.

I still think we were in position to win some games and even going back to the playoffs last season. 

That team was built (by Robinson) and was in position to win. Incredible defensive performance and offensively we just laid a complete egg. I can't think that is Robinson's fault.  Despite his misses, we were still maybe the best team in the AFC. 

I get it, but I still think it was the wrong move. 

I'd like to know what was the grading scale or thing that said we got to move on. Cause like I've said many times in the grand scheme of being a GM, he was one of the best in the league with his overall success.