Titans Fire Jon Robinson (No, this isn't a joke)

-Hope-

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

the bigger red flag is that there was chatter that a lot of teams took him off their boards due to character concerns that we apparently didn't catch. hard to actually confirm the extent of that though.

I just hated the pick totally. I wanted a WR. 

He might as well have handed in his resignation the second Vrabel stood up. Vrabel said AJB would be a Titans as long as he was the coach of the Tennessee Titans and I don't think he was throwing that statement out there carelessly.

Edited by TitanSS

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

the bigger red flag is that there was chatter that a lot of teams took him off their boards due to character concerns that we apparently didn't catch. hard to actually confirm the extent of that though.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2020/12/09/titans-isaiah-wilson-decline-puzzling-troubling-and-worsening/3831886001/

Yea, I thought there were character issues too. But I honestly don't seem to be finding much. It seems like all the stuff he did with us was a shock to people who knew him best. He maybe just got freedom through money and was in his early 20s and didn't know how to act. He needed more structure.

Like or dislike JRob or whatever else, we're potentially headed down a very dangerous path of allowing Vrabel full control.

Vrabel is a fantastic coach, but asking your head coach to be your GM far more often blows up in your face than it works out. Belichick is the best example most people generally give of it working, and he was simply carried by Brady over some truly bad roster building.

Need to hope we actually hire a real GM to do a GM's job.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Ah, okay. For some reason I thought everyone on the forum freaked out for the reach. Maybe I'm just remembering a couple posters who didn't like him though.

I mean, I had him as a later pick. But the buzz from the NFL that started to leak in the days before the draft was that he was valued higher. He was one of those guys that moved up a lot in like the week before the draft.

It was a pretty unpopular pick on the forums at the time. I think his value was as a theoretically ascending player.

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

Like or dislike JRob or whatever else, we're potentially headed down a very dangerous path of allowing Vrabel full control.

Vrabel is a fantastic coach, but asking your head coach to be your GM far more often blows up in your face than it works out. Belichick is the best example most people generally give of it working, and he was simply carried by Brady over some truly bad roster building.

agree

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

I do agree that I want an actual GM to do a GMs job.

I also think that if said GM wants to trade away a star player they now need HCs approval.

I would assume, we will be getting that type of hybrid. I don't think it will just be a cut and dry Vrabel makes all decisions. But I would assume he has a heavy hand in not allowing things like the AJ trade happen, and say in the general direction of decisions on draft day.

Since I am usually talking about things JRob got more blame on than he deserved, and in the interest of the other side, something that JRob didn’t get enough blame for: overspending resources on DBs.

Byard and Hooker are both excellent players, but spending the percentage of our cap that we do on safeties is certainly an odd allocation of resources.

Also, spending a first, two seconds, a third, and a sixth on corners in a three year span when there are other big needs is a horrible move.

8 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Worked for Andy Reid, worked for Sean Payton, Pete Carroll, Sean McVay, Kyle shanahan is doing fine. I trust Vrabel in drafting players & coaching them far as OC’s he’s 1-1 for In Art & downing 

Just now, Daniel said:

Since I am usually talking about things JRob got more blame on than he deserved, and in the interest of the other side, something that JRob didn’t get enough blame for: overspending resources on DBs.

Byard and Hooker are both excellent players, but spending the percentage of our cap that we do on safeties is certainly an odd allocation of resources.

Also, spending a first, two seconds, a third, and a sixth on corners in a three year span when there are other big needs is a horrible move.

Especially when we seem to do well with CBs off the street.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

And still having massive holes at the position. Same as the OL.

The more everyone talks about it, the more it just continues to make sense. Dudes time was up. Not saying a change will definitely make it better, but I think something had to be done. 

Find me a QB.

Find me a Super Bowl.

At the very least, find me some dogs on the o line. I cant watch this garbage anymore.

For better or for worse, Amy at least has a finger on the pulse. And she seems to want a Super Bowl as much as we do.

Edited by twotonebluenation

17 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

i think that we will probably hire a GM, but that vrabel will have a bigger piece of the pie than he used to. at least, that's the most realistic scenario that i'm hoping for. agree that the potential for vrabel taking over GM duties entirely is worrisome.

Just now, TitanRedd said:

Worked for Andy Reid, worked for Sean Payton, Pete Carroll, Sean McVay, Kyle shanahan is doing fine. I trust Vrabel in drafting players & coaching them far as OC’s he’s 1-1 for In Art & downing 

Andy Reid is the only coach on that list that I'm personally aware of that has anything close to full control( and in fairness he's a good case of it working out, so fair enough). He won a power struggle over John Dorsey.

Mickey Loomis has a ton of power/control in New Orleans, hell, he's the guy who hired Payton. Pete Carroll is a maybe case as Schneider's hiring came after his, but Schneider is often given a ton of credit by media for his work in team building/drafting/etc, so don't think Pete is totally running the show there. Les Snead has a lot of power in LA, he also hired Sean McVay. John Lynch also holds a lot of power in SF, and again, he hired Shanahan.

All of these situations outside of Reid is either a case of the GM being the one who hired the coach you mentioned, or in the case of Schneider, is given a lot of credit by both local Seattle media and national media for his roles in building the team.

Those GMs are more than just yes men for the head coach.

A yes man GM is something that must be avoided.