Titans fire GM Jon Robinson

RaidersAreOne

26 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I guess if you plan on getting rid of him anyway, might as well rip the bandaid.🤷‍♂️ I loved JRob and everything he’s done for the franchise but Sunday’s game plus the pass couple of offseasons doomed him. I know our record was good but the direction of the team was honestly heading in the wrong direction.

Hard to argue with that list of busts.

6 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

Because he sucks at his job? 

Sure but the GM roster construction job is done until offseason.   If the FO doesn’t like Robinson’s work seems weird not to wait until end of season. Unlike HC where it actually impacts the game outcome.  Just very weird timing. 

36 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Sure but the GM roster construction job is done until offseason.   If the FO doesn’t like Robinson’s work seems weird not to wait until end of season. Unlike HC where it actually impacts the game outcome.  Just very weird timing. 

I'm guessing it's to be first to hire a new GM, scouts etc. Since GM isn't involved in much else for the rest of the season so it makes sense.

15 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I'm guessing it's to be first to hire a new GM, scouts etc. Since GM isn't involved in much else for the rest of the season so it makes sense.

Yeah, I get that - it used to be the reasoning - but you can't interview anyone under contract until after the season's done. 

If it's about a culture shift, though - I get that.   As I think DEN should have fired Hackett already to send a culture message (incompetence to that degree isn't OK), I can get a culture change being seen as necessary.    I recall reports saying Robinson was a hard*ss in negotiations - and that burned bridges with ex-players, and players under contract - am I mistaken, or is that corrrect?   I can see how he'd outstay his welcome pretty quickly.   The timing says it can't just be about football operations, because there's so little left (and you can't interview anyone, even scouts, under contract, right now).

Edited by Broncofan

This has to be an emotional reaction by the owner to getting burned by A.J. on Sunday. Like, I'm not entirely surprised by this, I believe I had Robinson in my list of maybes for GM spots opening up during the offseason. But I totally get people surprised by the timing. Mid-season firings at HC or GM are normally reserved for like, hot garbage. Guys so bad that not only are they bad at their job, their existence is actively making things worse around them. Like, Todd Haley is my go to example of that for KC. He wasn't just bad, he needed to be actively removed before he caused more damage. I'm not sure Jon Robinson is that. This is a really weird time to have a GM vacancy. Especially for a competitive team. So it honestly feels to me like an reactionary firing from what happened on Sunday.

It is for sure random to do it now, and the Titans have largely been a successful team - but is anyone confusing the Titans for this incredibly talented team? They’ve got some pieces (Henry, Simmons, Byard) and they’re very well coached, but they remind me of the early Keim Cardinals when they had Carson Palmer. 

• Like 1