Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

2 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Not sure where you're getting your cap numbers for SF. They currently have $14m for next year and could easily clear another $55m. Their cap situation is fantastic.

San Francisco 49ers 2023 Salary Cap Table | Spotrac

I used that. Their top 5 or so contracts carry a lot of dead cap, so I assumed those players would be roster locks. How did you clear up $55M?

3 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

San Francisco 49ers 2023 Salary Cap Table | Spotrac

I used that. Their top 5 or so contracts carry a lot of dead cap, so I assumed those players would be roster locks. How did you clear up $55M?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/san-francisco-49ers/2023/

Click on the manage roster and for 2023.  you can do the simple restructure of contracts.

Trent Williams saves $14.5M
Arik Armstead saves $9.8M
Fred Warner saves $9.4M
George Kittle saves $7.9M

Do an extension for Bosa and drop his $17M closer to $8-10M

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Click on the manage roster and for 2023.  you can do the simple restructure of contracts.

Fred Warner saves $9.4M

Ah, I see now. Good call. SF certainly in the mix.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Fred Warner saves $9.4M

Thanks Squire, Christian McCaffrey could save them another $7m too. 

They've got options to take the whole $59m before activating the option, plugging all their holes in FA and being downright terrifying.

12 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Thanks Squire, Christian McCaffrey could save them another $7m too. 

They've got options to take the whole $59m before activating the option, plugging all their holes in FA and being downright terrifying.

Plus you could make a case that they are the best roster of the ones I listed in the original post. Certainly an appealing destination.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Plus you could make a case that they are the best roster of the ones I listed in the original post. Certainly an appealing destination.

Yah, I think playing there would interest Rodgers.

But, the 49ers already gave the team to Lance.  And took him really high.  I'm not sure if they will have interest.  But it is certainly a spot to watch.

• 1 month later...

OK I'm bumping this thread after a few weeks where the season has concluded and things are a little more set.

QB Needy teams by draft order:

• Houston
  • Indy
  • Vegas
  • Atlanta
  • Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • NYJ
  • New England?
  • Washington 
  • Tampa (assuming Brady retires)
  • San Fran

After eliminating teams who are rebuilding, you end up with 2023 potential playoff teams with some commentary:

• Vegas - Internet rumors have linked McDaniels and Rodgers, along with the Davante reunion. Getting rid of Carr opens up enough cap space for his contract
  • Tennessee - Doubtful, they are in even worse cap shape than the Packers.
  • NYJ - Would he play for a bad franchise? Would he want a career that mirrors Favre's so directly? 
  • New England? - My new dark horse candidate for a Rodgers trade. Rodgers gambles on himself one last time with the best coach to ever do it. Belechik gets 1-2 more years to prove his success wasn't all tied to Brady.
  • Washington - See Jets, would he play for a bad franchise?
  • Tampa - Capped out from the Brady Super Bowl runs. 
  • San Fran - Previously discussed, but they could free up the cap space to give Trey Lance another year to learn, while they still have a Super Bowl roster. Also a bonus that you don't have to play Lamar, Mahommes, Herbert, Burrow, and Allen in the playoffs. The downside is that they don't have a first or second round pick this year, so what would you trade for? 

Edited by pgwingman

1 hour ago, LacyIsGood said:

Thought the issue with SF was their lack of draft picks to acquire Rodgers?

Yeah they lack a first and a second rounder this year.

I suppose you could make a case for acquiring future picks, or maybe they could trade a player on a rookie deal. Either way, if the Packers are open to trading Rodgers, his value could be limited given the drop off in play last year and Rodgers retirement discussions.

Murph and Gute aren’t going to admit to their great mistake.  They’re going to double down on it.

If they would entertain the idea of trading him he would have to approve of the destination.  That eliminates a number of teams.  I think the Raiders and 49’ers the most likely potential destinations. More may open up, but I see those two as most likely.