Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

I'm having deja vu having this conversation again, but here we go. 

So thanks to @Packer_ESP, the options on Rodgers contract have been laid out: He can retire or be traded for $40M cap hit next year. If he plays next year only, it's a $59M cap hit., If he plays two more years, it's north of $100M spread out over 2-3 years. Much has been discussed about whether Rodgers is here for the future or it's Love's time to shine. Please leave those discussions on other threads.

But since it's the bye week, I wanted to ask another question: From Rodgers point of view, what is the best team to play on in 2023? Any team that would trade for Rodgers would essentially need his blessing to justify a trade. Said team would also need to be a playoff contender. They would also need enough cap space to sign him. One other thing that might make an ideal destination: ability to take on Bakh. Trading him saves the Packers $6M, and Zach Tom might prove to be the future LT in the coming weeks while Bakh recovers from appendicitis. 

So with all of that in mind, here's my list of teams that I analyzed with this in mind:Capture.jpg

First Impressions: Rodgers has always mentioned wanting to retire a Packer, so that can't be ruled out. But if I'm him, I can't help but think about teams like the Seahawks and Commanders. Good rosters. I'd also have to give serious consideration to playing with Belichick in NE. Or even the Colts, if they were to decide to bring in Hackett to the staff.

So the question for discussion: If you were Rodgers, and the money is all the same no matter where you go, would you stick with the Packers or try somewhere else, possibly bringing your buddy Bakh with you?

I feel it is most likely that Rodgers stays here.  Infinitely more likely.

But if he were to go somewhere, I'll bet he wants somewhere warm and with low taxes.  In other words, he wants Brady's job.

If I look at it like a fan, I think the Jets would want him.  I think that Wilson likes Rodgers and vice versa.   Wilson could learn much from him and that is a good young team to put around Rodgers.

But yah, I want him playing here, if he is playing somewhere.  That's me being sentimental.

43 minutes ago, chefj85 said:

Im getting tired of this conversation. 

Unless he retires, Rodgers is back in GB next year. I simply cannot fathom them making that trade and gutting the team to eat all that money.

Dead money only gets worse from here on out though. 

If you trade him, you eat nothing. What happens is everything we've already pushed into future years gets rushed into next year's payroll. Right now, with a starting QB on a rookie contract, it's the best time to take that hit. 

--------------------------------------------

As for the original list of teams, 49ers can absolutely add Rodgers, and have the best roster and best motivation to do so. Probably don't get any high 2023 picks in return unless they swing a Lance trade, but I'm ok with picks in 2024 that can supplement a young Jordan Love offense.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, chefj85 said:

Unless he retires, Rodgers is back in GB next year. I simply cannot fathom them making that trade and gutting the team to eat all that money.

Might need to start preparing for GB Packers without Rodgers at QB.  

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, chefj85 said:

Gute pretty much confirmed this in his press conference.

26 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Dead money only gets worse from here on out though. 

If you trade him, you eat nothing. What happens is everything we've already pushed into future years gets rushed into next year's payroll. Right now, with a starting QB on a rookie contract, it's the best time to take that hit. 

--------------------------------------------

As for the original list of teams, 49ers can absolutely add Rodgers, and have the best roster and best motivation to do so. Probably don't get any high 2023 picks in return unless they swing a Lance trade, but I'm ok with picks in 2024 that can supplement a young Jordan Love offense.

You’re misinformed. We eat quite a lot if we trade him. Only way we don’t is if the other team agrees to pay some of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pgwingman said:

So the question for discussion: If you were Rodgers, and the money is all the same no matter where you go, would you stick with the Packers or try somewhere else, possibly bringing your buddy Bakh with you?

I think the odds of a Bakh/Rodgers combo trade is virtually non-existent.

• Like 3