Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

12 hours ago, LacyIsGood said:

Thought the issue with SF was their lack of draft picks to acquire Rodgers?

If SF has no 1st and 2nd round picks this year why would Gute call them?  IF Gute and company want to move on from AR and/or Rodgers requests a trade they are going to try and make a deal to get the highest return on their considerable investment in #12.

@Pugger  ......................or maybe they recognise that it's Green Bay that want to get rid of that huge contract and the maximum price that likely to be offered to the Packers reflects that. Personally I'd let Rodgers go for a large bag of Doritos, not because I don't like him (I've always enjoyed watching him play), but because of THAT contract that hamstrings this team going forward and it suffocates any chance of progressing with Love to see what he can offer with several starts under his belt.

I don't think the 49ers are a realistic trade option, just pointing out that the pick value for trading Rodgers is probably very small given the combination of his contract,  his age and his performance this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

@Pugger  ......................or maybe they recognise that it's Green Bay that want to get rid of that huge contract and the maximum price that likely to be offered to the Packers reflects that. Personally I'd let Rodgers go for a large bag of Doritos, not because I don't like him (I've always enjoyed watching him play), but because of THAT contract that hamstrings this team going forward and it suffocates any chance of progressing with Love to see what he can offer with several starts under his belt.

I don't think the 49ers are a realistic trade option, just pointing out that the pick value for trading Rodgers is probably very small given the combination of his contract,  his age and his performance this year.

The 49ers aren't the team he'd be going to but there are a couple of teams minimum that would snap Rodgers up in a heart beat and offer reasonable compensation to get him.

• Like 1

You have to factor in where Rodg would be willing to go.  That lessens the potential suitors greatly.

His contract is like Marley dragging his chains, it greatly lessens his value on top of his poor performance and advancing age.  Murph and Gute were played like fools in giving the old man that bloated contract.  I’m afraid we’re stuck with him.

Don’t know if this has been asked, but can Rodgers and the team agree to replace his current deal with a new one that makes a trade a more viable option?

To clarify, can they essentially void the original deal in favor of one which lessens the cap charges without simply pushing cap charges into future years?

is that allowed within the rules?

2 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Don’t know if this has been asked, but can Rodgers and the team agree to replace his current deal with a new one that makes a trade a more viable option?

To clarify, can they essentially void the original deal in favor of one which lessens the cap charges without simply pushing cap charges into future years?

is that allowed within the rules?

I don't think it's necessary. The contact is extremely tradable in it's current construct. 

I'm with @OneTwoSixFive, as someone who studies the cap this contract is like a doomsday clock. If Rodgers is on the team next season, our long term future will be totally ****ed whatever season he does retire.

It's a time bomb.

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

So should we trade Rodgers to another team for anything we can get just to get rid of him?   Evidently a lot of folks here think he is well past his prime so it is prudent to rid ourselves of this albatross as soon as we can.   I for one would want us to get as much as we can if indeed Gute and company are entertaining the notion of trading him away (and I doubt they are).  He has a little more value than a bag of Doritos.  I have a feeling AR will either retire or come back for one more shot.  

28 minutes ago, Pugger said:

So should we trade Rodgers to another team for anything we can get just to get rid of him?   Evidently a lot of folks here think he is well past his prime so it is prudent to rid ourselves of this albatross as soon as we can.   I for one would want us to get as much as we can if indeed Gute and company are entertaining the notion of trading him away (and I doubt they are).  He has a little more value than a bag of Doritos.  I have a feeling AR will either retire or come back for one more shot.  

I am not looking at this from a personality point of view. I'm looking at age + performance this year + contract. The Packers cannot cut him, though he could retire. Trading relies on another team picking up a huge contract which is not good value for money considering how he played this year (don't get me wrong, he wasn't awful, but he wasn't worth what the Packers paid him, either). So yes, retire or return are the two most likely options, but I still believe that trading him is the best option, if it is at all possible.

Reading the tea leaves at this time, it would appear that Gutekunst wants him back. I'm not certain that is what LaFleur wants, maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Then there is what Rodgers thinks, which is a very important part of the puzzle. Maybe another team WILL pay plenty for a rental for a year or two, but I don't think so. There are too many weights on the negative side of the scale for him to have anything close to the perceived value he had, before this season started.

I think he IS past his prime and he will regress further. I don't think his deep ball is like it was when he was younger, though he can still drop it in a bucket sometimes. The real albatross is less Rodgers himself and more the contract he has.

I advocated that he be traded at the end of last year and I think its the best option this year (but this year that particular option is chosen from several uncomfortable options).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sandy said:

I don't think it's necessary. The contact is extremely tradable in it's current construct. 

I'm with @OneTwoSixFive, as someone who studies the cap this contract is like a doomsday clock. If Rodgers is on the team next season, our long term future will be totally ****ed whatever season he does retire.

It's a time bomb.

I guess I am not getting it- so help me out.  I can see the problem the contract causes for the team, but what makes it “tradable” ?

The contract being tradable implies to me that the last two years of it are not a problem for the team that trades for him, and I don’t understand the monetary splits that makes that so.

4 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I guess I am not getting it- so help me out.  I can see the problem the contract causes for the team, but what makes it “tradable” ?

The contract being tradable implies to me that the last two years of it are not a problem for the team that trades for him, and I don’t understand the monetary splits that makes that so.

Trading team can get Rodgers for 15+ million for 2023 and 31 million for 2024.  The contract won't scare off a team that thinks he's their missing piece. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tperk said:

I'm still thinking we move Rodgers to the Raiders for their #7 pick. Anything more than #7 would be gravy at this point.

But would the Raiders want to relinquish that high a pick for a one or two year rental on a 40 year old QB on the decline?  If I were them I'd rather keep that valuable pick and draft a younger guy this spring.

• Like 1