Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

22 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

Yup, trade his rights to the Texans in August for a 2030 conditional 7th…. Escalates to a  2024 first if traded to the Jets or the NFC

Let the Texans deal with trading him mid season to a contender for profit, don’t care.

or just trade him to the Patriots for a 3rd, they have cap, just to give the Jets nation the middle finger.

Saleh and Douglass will be looking for new jobs, Gute o and MLF will be fine.

It is March 17th, have a green beer and relax. There zero reason to be in a panic here, the deal will get done soon enough and the Packers will have a little extra draft capital to work with. No need to go all scorched earth now.  

44 minutes ago, R T said:

It is March 17th, have a green beer and relax. There zero reason to be in a panic here, the deal will get done soon enough and the Packers will have a little extra draft capital to work with. No need to go all scorched earth now.  

You mean.......R-E-L-A-X?  :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I can't imagine the Packers have the stomach to really dig their heels in.  If they did they would announce that until there is a deal the Jets could no longer speak with Rodgers.  

You may want to have a green beer also. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I can't imagine the Packers have the stomach to really dig their heels in.  If they did they would announce that until there is a deal the Jets could no longer speak with Rodgers.  

Except Rodgers already confirmed that the Jets aren't allowed to talk to him outside of that window last week.

• Like 1

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't think the Packers are likely to go nuclear, or even raise the stakes towards more acrimony.  Their game is just "wait for the Jets to offer more".  It's a passive negotiating position not an active one.

Pretty much.  Unless the Packers and Jets are close to completing the trade, I can't imagine there's a lot of discussion going on between the two franchises.

Like the thing about leverage is that the Jets benefit more from having Rodgers in house sooner for obvious reasons.  But the Packers only have two points in time where "getting rid of Rodgers becomes more awkward".  The first one is the draft where if you wait until after the 2023 draft, Rodgers can't be traded for 2023 draft picks.  The second one is September 1 when his option bonus needs to get paid.

It's entirely likely that the trade actually goes down during the draft, where the teams want to take a look at who's there at 13 before that pick is traded.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't think the Packers are likely to go nuclear, or even raise the stakes towards more acrimony.  Their game is just "wait for the Jets to offer more".  It's a passive negotiating position not an active one.

I'm not confident in their mindset with the return on Rodgers. 

My gut instinct was they really want to maximize the return for two reasons:

1) Chasing losses. I really believe they could have moved him for a lot more last year and they're kicking themselves.

2) Return for absorbing cap hit(s) from the ugly contract. They want to get as much as they can for all this dead cap and are deadset on pick 13 to offset that.

And I've also thought at times that they might be of the mindset "Yo, let's hold out until (x-date) and then get what we can". Knowing that the "real" win is having Jordan Love under center, Aaron out of the building, and his contract off the books - anything else is just gravy.

I'm really really curious what their risk appetite is on holding Aaron.

On 3/16/2023 at 5:50 AM, Mr Anonymous said:

Almost assuredly going back and forth on the benchmarks for the variable '24 (and possibly '25) compensation rather than the picks themselves. The haggle over any '24 pick(s) is likely over how far the Jets go into the playoffs to trigger a better pick going to Green Bay. Packers likely want it to trigger for simply making the playoffs, Jets likely want it to trigger for making or winning the Super Bowl. And a potential '25 pick is almost assuredly being discussed based on whether or not Rodgers plays more than 1 year in NY.

Missed this post, but this feels likes the hold up on the deal.