Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I appreciate so many of your posts but this notion that it's OK to keep kicking the can down the road and eat up cap increases is what got us into this cap mess we are in. We need to clean this **** up and quit with the void years and big balloon payments to guys at the end of their career. We know those will become big, dead cap hits. It's a shell game. 

Drives me crazy the idea we'll worry about it later. 

It's one thing to be doing this with a FEW elite players, but when it's Cobb, Lewis, Lowry, Amos, Tonyan, Reed etc., etc. It's just bad business. 

I agree with you - in this case I was illustrating what we would have to do if the Rodgers trade falls apart - technically, our "leverage" over the Jets. At the very least, it's proof that the team doesn't HAVE to trade Rodgers, while if we don't, Joe Douglas is going to be looking for a new job next year.

On the other side, where we deal with Rodgers dead hit now, then cut Bakh next season to save $21m then we could start next offseason with at least $40m in cap space without restructuring anyone.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 1:19 PM, Scoremore said:

What are you a Jets fan?  Packers actually lose cap space this year by trading him.  We don't need to trade Rodgers he can come back and compete with Love for the starting gig.  Hell maybe they use both of them throughout the season.  Jets role with Zac Wilson?  Did you see him play?   Rodgers 3rd string?  What are you smoking.  Yes we can play him Sure we'll just give him away for a conditional 7th because nobody want Rodgers.  This is so wrong on so many counts my god dude.  

Bottom line is the Packers do not have to trade Rodgers.  Jets can either pony up or pound sand.  They can suck with Wilson all next year or become instant contenders with Rodgers.  It's pretty simple.  Gute knows this and why he's in no hurry to just cave and give Rodgers away.  At this point I hope another team comes in and trades for Rodgers.  Jets shouldn't be jerking the Packers around.  It would serve them right.

There is a lot of information about Rodgers contract and how bad it gets (beyond 2023) if he plays for us in 2023. Not going to regurgitate it here - sure you can find it but at this stage, keeping Rodgers on the roster this season isn't an option.

Maybe .. if we were going 100% all in and want Rodgers to lead it then you can go that direction. In a partial rebuild where you have all but moved on to Love it isn't remotely an option. And Jets know that.

Its a big game of chicken .. Packers must trade him. And Jets have pretty forced themselves to having to trade for him. But sides must be absolutely cra****g themselves hoping the other will back down. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Well Enegbare was good for a rookie. I want more of players like him. 

would have to be a johnson and a pick + conditional pick 

He was good, a pleasant surprise. I want at least 2 more EDGE rushers this off season. Gary is an unknown as far as when returns and what he is this year. I have no doubt he'll get back to be dominant at some point. 

There are a ton of EDGE rushers in the draft. I think I'd rather take a couple of shots at guys in the draft. If the Jets were willing to part with him as part of a trade, that would be telling. 

Edited by Old Guy

People sleeping on Micheal Clemons. Same amount of sacks as Johnson, better PFF grade. A 4th rounder so perceptually easier to trade for than a 1st rounder like Johnson. 

Give me Moore, Clemons and a 2nd rounder, conditional pick next year and that is my final offer!

This talk of it being a disingenuous game of chicken...it doesn't have to be. Just stand on principle and maintain your self-respect: preventing yourself from knowingly getting fleeced is worth alot, especially if we are talking about selling out for a bag of peanuts. "Oh, but's a gamble...we might lose out on...a bag of peanuts from the Jets if the deal falls through, if we refuse to let them fleece us." This makes the big assumption that even if a bag of peanuts is the best we can ever get for Rodgers, there simply wouldn't be another team willing to give up a measely bag of peanuts for Rodgers after June 1st. I'll call that bluff. If I lose, all I lost was a bag of peanuts that was barely gonna move the needle for a team which, honestly, had their contention window close in 2021, and needs a bit of a rebuild of at least a couple seasons. I tell the Jets to go pound sand, and get back to us after June 1st if they have a change of heart and are serious. Sorry, but reading Jets fans comments about how Rodgers isn't worth more than a 3rd round pick and we should be grateful to get even that from them to "take Rodgers off our hands" is as freaking ridiculous as it is insulting to the point you hope another team gets into the mix, even if the bag of peanuts offered has a few less peanuts. 

Edited by DWhitehurst
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

This talk of it being a disingenuous game of chicken...it doesn't have to be. Just stand on principle and maintain your self-respect: preventing yourself from knowingly getting fleeced is worth alot, especially if we are talking about selling out for a bag of peanuts. "Oh, but's a gamble...we might lose out on...a bag of peanuts from the Jets if the deal falls through, if we refuse to let them fleece us." This makes the big assumption that even if a bag of peanuts is the best we can ever get for Rodgers, there simply wouldn't be another team willing to give up a measely bag of peanuts for Rodgers after June 1st. I'll call that bluff. If I lose, all I lost was a bag of peanuts that was barely gonna move the needle for a team which, honestly, had their contention window close in 2021, and needs a bit of a rebuild of at least a couple seasons. I tell the Jets to go pound sand, and get back to us after June 1st if they have a change of heart and are serious. Sorry, but reading Jets fans comments about how Rodgers isn't worth more than a 3rd round pick and we should be grateful to get even that from them to "take Rodgers off our hands" is as freaking ridiculous as it is insulting to the point you hope another team gets into the mix, even if the bag of peanuts offered has a few less peanuts. 

Yah I hope another team enters the fray.  The Jets fans can all cry when Rodgers goes somewhere else. I'd take a bit less at this point just to screw them. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

I’d say it’s more like trying to get a bag of peanuts for a Kleenex you just blew your nose into.   (Rodgers being the delicate kleenex, the snot being the contract they signed.).  If they don’t like it - take a few less peanuts but discard the virus.