Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

2 hours ago, fistfullofbeer said:

Fans can talk all about "fair value" or "position of strength" and while that may have an element of truth , at the end of the day GM's want to built a reputation as that of a reasonable GM if they plan to continue dealing with other GM's.

Yeah I don't think this has anything to do with that, we are dealing a unique asset and everybody knows that. Also the whole world seems to be forgetting that this happened in 2007, and is refusing to remember history correctly, or the Jets are just trying to use their "big city" cache to out maneuver the Packers - which is beyond ridiculous given the historic record of the two franchises. LA paid the premium - go f yourself. 

Edited by oldmansmell
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

It’s not disingenuous. It’s accurate. It’d be a lie to say that they “couldn’t”. 

I don’t think GB will refuse to budge from the “two 1st’s” demand. But a conditional 7th? I’m telling NYJ to get the F lost w/ that . 

I’d let AR retire or sit the bench before I gave him up for a 7th. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzPackfan said:

This is as fair as it gets IMO…

2023 2nd
2024 conditional 2nd (become a 1st if Jets make playoffs)
2025 Conditional 2nd (if Rodgers plays on in 2024)

I think that would be pretty fair.  I'd not complain at all with that.  I totally expect him to play two years.  So getting three 2nds, one or two of which would condition into 1sts, that's hardly unfair to GB.  That would seem plenty rich enough for me.  

For all we know the Jets are indeed offering something that is fair value and GB is dragging its heels for even more knowing they have plenty of time.  Or, they are lowballing GB.

If they are truly lowballing then Packer brass needs to be talking to other teams.  It is obvious they were fine with Rodgers retiring.  If it is a low ball offer they won’t accept, know what other teams are willing to do.  Go ahead and trade him to say the Colts, without his involvement.  Force him to play or retire.  Or force the Jets to get real once they realize you are willing to do just that.

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Keep the 25 conditional pick and give us Elijah Moore. 

Yup, him or Jermaine Johnson. If the Jets don't give us 13 this year, it has to be a 2nd and one of those young players. If not, I'm hanging up the phone. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yup, him or Jermaine Johnson. If the Jets don't give us 13 this year, it has to be a 2nd and one of those young players. If not, I'm hanging up the phone. 

My tea leaf reading of why GB won't hang up if the comp isn't 13 or 2nd + player:

1. Every other NFL team did its due diligence and backed out (either due to money, #12's lack of interest in them, or because they wouldn't match the Jets offer)

2. Aaron said "I intend to play for NYJ" so the texans aren't sending a pick, any pick, for that contract as the situation stands

3. If GB sits on the contract they have a 70 million dollar dead cap hit next year or they carry #12 at a 60 million cap hit this year

GB and NYJ both want to avoid mutually assured destruction (GB cap nuking by retaining 12; Jets poor season and inevitable firings for not getting #12). They'll settle on fair, but not fantastic comp. I think the three 2's over 3 years sounds about right, but we shall see.

• Like 1