Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Brady should sign a cheap(ish) one-year deal with the Jets.  Packers nation would despise him forever.

Still don't believe Brady is "done done" yet. I think he'll be waiting for that mid-season call from Lynch and Shanahan if the Brock Purdy train starts to derail. 

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Brady should sign a cheap(ish) one-year deal with the Jets.  Packers nation would despise him forever.

So, I already despise him, Also, are you a Packer fan or what? Pretty sure our GM's job is to maximize compensation and that seems to really bother you. 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Conspiracy of the Day: The more news I hear about this situation, including the latest that the "Packers and Jets haven't talked" and "talks are stalled" etc., the more I start to believe that this entire thing is d.o.n.e. already and probably has been for a week or two. Why? A few reasons:

There's no logical reasoning to not finish this deal.  None.  If a deal was struck, they would have announced it already.  There's probably some haggling going on in the backend of the deal.

15 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

... However, up until the draft, neither team knows which players will fall to eachother’s draft slots. So it would involve GB sharing some of its draft board with NYJ, rather than just 1-2 players. Gm’s might be reluctant to do that sort of thing.

Don't the Jets have back-to-back 2nd rounders?  Gute could keep his own board to himself, have the Jets on the phone, and tell them who he wants.  Especially with back-to-back picks, there would be some extra minutes to manage the communication about the 2nd of those.   No need to share his board. 

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's no logical reasoning to not finish this deal.  None.  If a deal was struck, they would have announced it already.  There's probably some haggling going on in the backend of the deal.

That's fine, but can we agree that by "backend" that doesn't mean the two sides are entrenched over whether the deal includes a 1st? My main point is that an issue of that magnitude is the first thing that gets worked out, not the last. If there's a minor detail or two left, I could see that. Again, I tend to believe Wingo when he said over a week ago that this thing was pretty much done. 

Edited by packfanfb

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Conspiracy of the Day: The more news I hear about this situation, including the latest that the "Packers and Jets haven't talked" and "talks are stalled" etc., the more I start to believe that this entire thing is d.o.n.e. already and probably has been for a week or two. Why? A few reasons: 

1. Start from the beginning -> there simply is no logical explanation or reason why the Packers would allow the Jets to speak with Rodgers in the first place unless compensation was discussed before that communication. That doesn't have to mean that everything was agreed to at that time, but pretty close, or at the very least, the parties were on the same page of what a trade would look like. It simply makes no sense that Gute would tell Douglas, "yea, go chat with Rodgers and formulate a plan for him to be your QB, and then afterwards, we'll talk about what it's going to cost." There's is no way that happened. 
  2. The Jets' actions over the last few weeks -> every single move the Jets have made thus far in FA indicates that they not only believe Rodgers will be a Jet, but that he basically already is. Starting with the signing of Lazard who the Jets very aggressively targeted from the jump. Lazard is a decent player, but I don't buy for one second that the Jets were sitting on the edge of their seat waiting to sign him without Rodgers' influence on the matter. From there, the Jets traded Moore (which was going to happen no matter what) but then immediately signed Hardman, and seem to be the clear frontrunner to land Beckham. Again, I highly doubt the Jets and Beckham would even be talking if the Jets did not already know that Rodgers was 100% going to be a Jet. 

Yet, despite what has happened, the media is saturating the air waves with stories that talks have stalled and that the Packers are dug in on wanting the Jets' 1st rounder, plus more, while the Jets are resolute in not giving up their 1st, etc. Again, fighting over something as big as a 1st round pick is not a "minor issue" that needs to be worked out. That's not a deal that is 90% done. Fighting over a first rounder is quite literally a threshold issue. That is something that is discussed in the first 5 minutes of the first call between Douglas and Gute -- before the Jets even talk to Rodgers. It's a deal-breaking issue (if you assume both sides are serious). IMO, there is quite literally a 0% chance that the conduct described above would have occurred if the Jets and Packers have not even agreed on something as important as a 1st round pick v. no 1st round pick. 

Moreover, the idea that this deal is actually done or basically done also lines up with Wingo reporting that being the case over a week ago. I trust Wingo over most others when it comes to Rodgers news. So what do I think is possibly happening? Quite literally that Gute and Douglas probably have an agreement in place, but only a few people in each organization know about it and it was decided between them to hold off announcing it, probably until after the Pro Day circuit is done in early April. Both teams don't have organized team activities until later in April, and holding off on announcing the trade doesn't impact either team from a FA standpoint (again, the Jets are already proceeding through FA as if Rodgers is their QB, and the Packers are arguably proceeding as if they already know that extra $9m from Rodgers is gone). 

Think Rap and Pelissero have been the best guys on this so far. I highly doubt this is done yet. My guess is Gute's demand is for pick 13, JD's offer headlines with pick 43. Really no reason for either to cave to the other yet this far from the draft. 

Don't see any reason to pause announcing it, no logical sense there whatsoever. Gute wants 13 and I think Douglas just got two 2nds so he can try and build a package and keep 13. I wouldn't call it a standoff or stall right now either. It's the heart of pro day season and Gute and Douglas have more important things to do right now then squawk back and forth about a trade. 

Think they will sit down and chat at the owner's meetings and maybe get something done, or they'll plan to reconvene in early April. There's just no benefit to letting it carry on, we could use the picks this year as we have about as bare of cabinets as you can have at WR and TE. Not including street FA's we literally don't have enough guys to field a team there and we have a brand new starting QB. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Think Rap and Pelissero have been the best guys on this so far. I highly doubt this is done yet. My guess is Gute's demand is for pick 13, JD's offer headlines with pick 43. Really no reason for either to cave to the other yet this far from the draft. 

Don't see any reason to pause announcing it, no logical sense there whatsoever. Gute wants 13 and I think Douglas just got two 2nds so he can try and build a package and keep 13. I wouldn't call it a standoff or stall right now either. It's the heart of pro day season and Gute and Douglas have more important things to do right now then squawk back and forth about a trade. 

Think they will sit down and chat at the owner's meetings and maybe get something done, or they'll plan to reconvene in early April. There's just no benefit to letting it carry on, we could use the picks this year as we have about as bare of cabinets as you can have at WR and TE. Not including street FA's we literally don't have enough guys to field a team there and we have a brand new starting QB. 

A lot of risk and variables there. What if Gute never moves off 13 and the Douglas is sincere about not giving it up? The parties walk? No chance of that happening. The Jets are carrying on in FA as if this deal is already done--i.e. Rodgers is the QB of the Jets.

Again, the very first phone call between Gute and Douglas had to include an understanding of whether a 1 was in play for Rodgers. Otherwise, the Jets probably never speak to Rodgers in the first place. So, for you to be right, one side has to be, at the very least, completely posturing over their position. Either Gute is holding out for a 1 but already knows that he's not getting it and is fine with that, or vice versa, Douglas is fine with giving up 13 and has been all along, but just hasn't said "yes" yet. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

A lot of risk and variables there. What if Gute never moves off 13 and the Douglas is sincere about not giving it up? The parties walk? No chance of that happening. The Jets are carrying on in FA as if this deal is already done--i.e. Rodgers is the QB of the Jets.

Again, the very first phone call between Gute and Douglas had to include an understanding of whether a 1 was in play for Rodgers. Otherwise, the Jets probably never speak to Rodgers in the first place. So, for you to be right, one side has to be, at the very least, completely posturing over their position. Either Gute is holding out for a 1 but already knows that he's not getting it and is fine with that, or vice versa, Douglas is fine with giving up 13 and has been all along, but just hasn't said "yes" yet. 

I think it’s about first round “value”. The big ask is 13. But like I said in another thread, I bet 42 AND 43 would be hard for Gute to pass on. 

What all the more level headed neutral insiders have said is that the two parties aren’t far apart ( like GB is asking for 2 firsts and NY is only going with a 3rd). This tells me that if that’s the case and the 13 pick ask is true… the value they are discussing is around that level.

And the Jets aren’t just simply walking away because that’s too crazy of an ask. It’s more so, what are the creative ways the Jets can get there without giving up 13. I believe if the value score for 13 is 1150 and the jets get a trade offer that’s like 1000, depending on the pieces (can’t be like a ton of 4ths and 5ths) … Gute would take it.

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Your first sentence of the 2nd paragraph doesn't have to be true. It's very likely our FO thought, we're going to move on from Aaron, he hasn't made up his mind yet if he wants to play or not, lets not waste any more time and at least let the Jets try and sell him on playing there so we can get compensation for him.

There's no reason to move off of 13 yet for either side. When we get into mid April and Gute is trying to figure out how to rebuild his skill position room and Joe Douglas looks at the depth chart for their offseason work and sees just Zach Wilson and Chris Streveler there, now there's some pressure. 

45 minutes ago, craig said:

Don't the Jets have back-to-back 2nd rounders?  Gute could keep his own board to himself, have the Jets on the phone, and tell them who he wants.  Especially with back-to-back picks, there would be some extra minutes to manage the communication about the 2nd of those.   No need to share his board. 

I believe there's something that says drafted players can't be traded for a calendar year, or something like that

• Like 1