Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

17 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

He'd be neither cut nor traded for 2023. He'd be paid in full. We can't get out of paying the 2023 stuff, no matter what we do. But I don't see where cutting him after this season triggers 70 million in dead money as long as he's cut in the first 4 days of the initial 2024 waiver period. I have us carrying an additional 27.1 Million in dead cap through 2024 with nothing after that. 3 years of signing bonus remains for 24.3ish Mil. Plus declining the 2024 option only causes the 2.25 base salary to turn to a bonus per spotrac--not the 30 Million bonus. Is there a Capologist that can clarify precisely? Rodgers has a good agent this contract is difficult AF to figure out. 

I don't know what you mean. He's definitely getting traded in 2023.

https://zonecoverage.com/2023/packers/how-does-an-aaron-rodgers-trade-impact-green-bays-cap/ (tried to find it from a Packers friendly site 😃)

However, things get much worse in the future. If Rodgers plays for the Packers in 2023 and retires or is traded right after, the dead money in 2024 will be $68.21 million. And $76.8 million the following year. Even considering a strong increase in the salary cap, that would be a significant part of the cap, and the Packers would have to operate for two years with less space than their counterparts.

2 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

I’m sure they would. But not for a “conditional 7th”.

I would feel very comfortable taking nothing if the return was a conditional 7th. I think that if the Packers absolutely fold they'll get a 3rd. I do not think they will fold. 2024 1st or conditional 1/2

4 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

https://zonecoverage.com/2023/packers/how-does-an-aaron-rodgers-trade-impact-green-bays-cap/ (tried to find it from a Packers friendly site 😃)

He will get traded but not necessarily to the Jets.  Your GM is going to blow the deal.  He'll end up in SF.  1st round value is not too much to ask.  Love how all you Jets fans think the Packers are over a barrel.  They are not.  This is Aaron Rodgers we are talking about.  The longer this drags on the more likely other teams are going to enter the fray.  Gute may accept less from another team just to spite the Jets for jerking him around. 

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

He will get traded but not necessarily to the Jets.  Your GM is going to blow the deal.  He'll end up in SF.  1st round value is not too much to ask.  Love how all you Jets fans think the Packers are over a barrel.  They are not.  This is Aaron Rodgers we are talking about.  The longer this drags on the more likely other teams are going to enter the fray.  Gute may accept less from another team just to spite the Jets for jerking him around. 

That's just how good Brad Holmes is. We've been happy with him so far but this is a new level.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I suspect the reason the Jets are holding firm (so far) to keeping their 1 is that they very much would like to add an offensive tackle.  Since Becton is unreliable and the Jets RT play last year was dire.

And they don't want to give up both 2's because they don't have a 3. So I suspect a 2 (at least for 2023) is probably the offer from them

1 hour ago, nagahide13 said:

Playing devils advocate here,

I’m aware of the huge dead money created in doing this. I just want to know how bad we can really make this go.

Mark Murphy and Brian Gutekunst are gonna need that value in return though, or we’ll trade his rights to someone else for less than the Jets are offering now just to dump him and prove a point. Jim Irsay would probably talk Rodgers into playing for him and showing a rookie the ropes. I almost like that better, honestly. Rodgers would look better in a Colt uniform than a Jet.

26 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

And they don't want to give up both 2's because they don't have a 3. So I suspect a 2 (at least for 2023) is probably the offer from them

I’m willing to send back a 4th and 7th as Green Bay to make this transaction happen. We got a deal?

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I suspect the reason the Jets are holding firm (so far) to keeping their 1 is that they very much would like to add an offensive tackle.  Since Becton is unreliable and the Jets RT play last year was dire.

I’ll throw in broken David Bakhtiari and you give me the 1st and a 2024 2nd that becomes a 1st if you make the AFC Championship. Just ask Aaron how awesome he is (when he’s actually on the field). Deal?

They are not alone as possibilities, but the Colts are a vastly under considered location.  They have stunk for a while, and they are young, but they could rise quickly.  The Packer brass I would bet have talked to and continue to talk to numerous teams.  The Jets could get the tablecloth yanked out from under them and wouldn’t that be sweet.

More than likely there is less of a blockage between the Pack and Jets than we speculate.  I don’t think it’s a OT desire holding things up because number one we could include Nijman and also because I don’t think our demand is a number 1 this year.  I see a number of picks this year with maybe a player along with a conditional pick next year that could become a 1 sounds good to me.  In the meantime, my understanding is the Jets can not and have not been able to talk to Rodg.  No playbook, no contract restructure talk etc.  I will be very surprised if his move isn’t completed by draft day, but it is possible.

Edited by 15412

6 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

I’m willing to send back a 4th and 7th as Green Bay to make this transaction happen. We got a deal?

Given how bad the Packers draft in the 3rd round...

'24 Conditional Pick

for 

QB Aaron Rodgers

That's worth roughly the 17th/18th pick.  The Jets have picks at 15 and 78 in the first 3 rounds.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Playing devils advocate here,

I’m aware of the huge dead money created in doing this. I just want to know how bad we can really make this go.

Mark Murphy and Brian Gutekunst are gonna need that value in return though, or we’ll trade his rights to someone else for less than the Jets are offering now just to dump him and prove a point. Jim Irsay would probably talk Rodgers into playing for him and showing a rookie the ropes. I almost like that better, honestly. Rodgers would look better in a Colt uniform than a Jet.

This is bat-**** crazy fan talk, because some fans in both fanbases are unstable individuals doesn't mean those in the FO's are. Very little chance any of the real decision makers on this deal are wigging out like you are. 

31 minutes ago, R T said:

This is bat-**** crazy fan talk, because some fans in both fanbases are unstable individuals doesn't mean those in the FO's are. Very little chance any of the real decision makers on this deal are wigging out like you are. 

I think it is “bat-**** crazy fan talk” to say that GB would give him to the NYJ for a conditional 7th. 

there are lines to draw. That does not make someone “unstable”. 

2 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I would feel very comfortable taking nothing if the return was a conditional 7th. I think that if the Packers absolutely fold they'll get a 3rd. I do not think they will fold. 2024 1st or conditional 1/2

I'd settle up for those two seconds this year and a conditional pick in 24 or 25.