Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

15 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

It’s a pointless exercise to try to explain it. They cannot comprehend the Significant risk and malpractice it would have been because last year did not turn out in our favor and where we’re at now.

Exactly. If Rodgers doesn't break his thumb and we go 11-6 even with his ****ty offseason conditioning and win a playoff game against a ****ty Vikings team and a ****ty Giants team to lose another NFCCG to the 9ers or Eagles, they'd just be lamenting Gute for something else.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hitnhope said:

There was nothing in 2020 that suggested Rodgers talents had diminished.  He stated at the time he wanted to play at least 5 more years.

You're intentionally missing the personality that Rodgers has shown clearly through his time in GB.  If you thought you could draft Love and not have it lead to issues you were deluding yourself and not understanding the petty that is/was AR.  If you deem it still the right move to bring in that drama you better be ready to carry out the plan completely.  AR has not and will never forgive the Packers for drafting his replacement.  It has been a series of punishments, and passive aggressive communications between the parties since.

So even giving you that it would be tough to trade a 2 time MVP, then how do you excuse the contract extension and all that comes with it given last year?  

I said that they needed to trade him last year, but I was wrong in this forum's eyes then.  Yes, sometimes doing the normal thing is a big mistake.  It should have been apparent to Packer leadership last year that the normal thing would hurt the organization in the long run.   The Packers leaders did the wrong thing out of concern for their jobs.   Scared leaders aren't the best leaders.

I actually don’t disagree with any of your logic here, but one thing I think doesn’t get talked about enough (by anyone, not just you) is that maybe Love was drafted based on more than Rodgers’ “perceived” physical/talent decline. I agree with you that that part is majorly oversold.

But you mentioned his personality as a reason drafting Love would become a problem. Maybe his personality is a big reason why they drafted Love to begin with. We know he threw his weight around to get McCarthy fired. We know he threw his weight around to prevent Russ Ball from getting the GM job. We know Murphy thinks he’s a complicated fella. We don’t know just how much he has said, aired out, butted heads, etc over the years. 

I don’t know if it’s good reasoning or not, but maybe his personality had the CEO & the GM worried that this thing was going in the wrong direction with him. It’s not too much of a stretch to think that that turned them off as much or more than a 2018-2019 decline. 

16 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I actually don’t disagree with any of your logic here, but one thing I think doesn’t get talked about enough (by anyone, not just you) is that maybe Love was drafted based on more than Rodgers’ “perceived” physical/talent decline. I agree with you that that part is majorly oversold.

But you mentioned his personality as a reason drafting Love would become a problem. Maybe his personality is a big reason why they drafted Love to begin with. We know he threw his weight around to get McCarthy fired. We know he threw his weight around to prevent Russ Ball from getting the GM job. We know Murphy thinks he’s a complicated fella. We don’t know just how much he has said, aired out, butted heads, etc over the years. 

I don’t know if it’s good reasoning or not, but maybe his personality had the CEO & the GM worried that this thing was going in the wrong direction with him. It’s not too much of a stretch to think that that turned them off as much or more than a 2018-2019 decline. 

Possible.   There was a tweet a week or so ago about there being more behind the scenes in this player - team relationship 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Isherwood said:

Maybe.

But maybe the Packers FO viewed Love as too good of a value at that point in the draft to not go get, much like TT taking Rodgers only with a small trade up. A QB that they had a very high grade on and the likelihood of such a player being within their reach again may be many years down the road. It can be that simple. 

The Miami football people wanted to draft Love with the 5th pick instead of Tua but were overruled by the owner. That came out in the HC's lawsuit against the Dolphins, so is it out of the question that the Packers and others had a much higher grade on him than the position he was drafted. 

There doesn't need to be an internal turmoil to justify the selection, maybe he was just by far the best player on their board. 

Edited by R T
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

Everything you say is really possible.  Why the last contract extension though?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Everything you say is really possible.  Why the last contract extension though?

Yeah, that’s the rub. Feels like a PR move after AR trashed the org publicly. But at that point you have to have the guts to just move on, I agree with you there. Gute should have had the stones to trade him at that point 

• Like 2

"Leverage", huh?

It sounds like the only leverage we truly have is the fear of job security if the Jets can't secure Rodgers. To which I say; are we SURE the people holding the proverbial guillotine- in this case Mr. Woody- have the will and thirst to pull the lever? I know the pressure from the fans will be worthless; the Jets have been a Buttfumble for YEARS and those poor [BLEEP]ers still attend their games, so it's up to the owner. Is Woody something more than an empty suit and a briefcase of cash?

2 hours ago, R T said:

The Miami football people wanted to draft Love with the 5th pick instead of Tua but were overruled by the owner. That came out in the HC's lawsuit against the Dolphins, so is it out of the question that the Packers and others had a much higher grade on him than the position he was drafted. 

Is there a source on that?

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Is there a source on that?

Omar: “…you asked me to dig which QB Brian Flores wanted to draft, instead of Tua.. it was Jordan Love…” The media could not be played. “He's never been a Tua guy, never advocated for Tua, never really wanted Tua,” Kelly said.Apr 24, 2022

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Two things I'll look for in his first year.

Can he move the football consistently?

Does he die in the redzone?  Things change and are a lot different when get down there.

With AR the redzone sweet spot always seemed to be between 12-8 yards out. Closer than that it seemed to crowd him. Dang I used to get mad when 1st and goal from the 6 would be followed by two incomplete pass attempts.

We will soon find out if that sh** was on 12 or on MLF. Love’s younger legs could come in handy as a redzone weapon. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

With AR the redzone sweet spot always seemed to be between 12-8 yards out. Closer than that it seemed to crowd him. Dang I used to get mad when 1st and goal from the 6 would be followed by two incomplete pass attempts.

We will soon find out if that sh** was on 12 or on MLF. Love’s younger legs could come in handy as a redzone weapon. 

Last year perhaps. It was not a problem when Adams was around. He'd just throw a back shoulder and let Adams go get it. 

On 4/1/2023 at 8:51 AM, hitnhope said:

Where are the Micah Hydes, Bakhtiari, Sittons?  TT was a great drafter.   Gute is at best average.   Average isn't good enough.  Especially in GB where free agents aren't exactly begging to come live.

Well, Rudy Ford was the 17th ranked safety on PFF last year.

He scored 74.6 on Pff last year.  I know it isn't the end all be all, but it is a set of data.

Hyde's best score in GB was....71.4 as a rookie.  Then he was in the 60's for the 3 years after.

Zach Tom looks the part of a long term answer at LT.  Nijman was a UDFA that we trained hard and now he's a starting tackle.

Jenkins is already at Sittons level.  Runyan was a fine late pick for a guard, though not on Sitton's level.

And Micah Hyde was the nickle cover guy here that was usually roasted for first downs on third and 5 or 6 across the middle because he lacked speed to keep up.  He flourished outside of GB as a pure safety.  We drafted him, but we didn't really use him as the Bills have.  And they've gotten more out of him.

50 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Pete Schrager still thinks the Packers want pick #13.  Some interesting stuff from him.  No deal has been completed yet, so somebody is still holding out for something.  

Did he have a mini seizure at about 2:15?

Also, GB better demand swapping 15 for 13 no matter what. So yes I bet they do still want it.