Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

But what if they don't think Love is the answer?  It is kinda telling they didn't sit Rodgers down and start Love after Aaron broke his thumb.

what if Rodgers isn't the answer?  why roll with a high priced QB on the backend of his career?  

4 minutes ago, 15412 said:

Gute needs to sit down with ol Rodg and tell him Cobb won't be here next year, Crosby won't be here next year, Jones may not be here next year, P Smith may not be here next year, Lowry and or Reed may not be here next year, Lazard likely won't be here next year.  Let him provide what destinations would work for him.

Based on how they handled him when he was pouting by giving him an insane bloated contract, I have a better chance of playing poker tonight with Chris Cornell, George Harrison, and Elvis later tonight after dinner.

I think people are just assuming Rodgers wants to be back in GB next year because of his comments in the media.  Yet his contract is set up to have this offseason as a pivot point before a de facto 2 year contract, which would be appealing to a team in a trade.  I think he only wants to be back in GB under his ideal circumstances.  Warmer weather and a team willing to go all in for 2 years is a good fit for him. 

3 minutes ago, R T said:

Rodgers will play for GB next season, or he will retire, trading Rodgers is off season fantasyland talk for some people who like to live in that realm.

Rodgers would never admit it, but a big part of his decision is probably tied to if Brady retires or not.    

Agree.  I also don't think he's ready to walk away from the money or attention.  If Brady retires there is no way he wants to be overshadowed going into the hall.

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Ideal playing spot in 2023 for Aaron ... anywhere but GB.  Packers need to bite the bullet and tell #12 they are going with Love, and they will help him find a new location to play in 23'.  Thank him profusely for his years of service, etc, etc.  Then the Packers can create the cap room to eat the remaining 40 mil on Aaron's deal in 2023.  Then in 2024 they are free and clear of Aaron Rodgers' contract, and will know whether Love and LaFleur are the people to continue forward with.  Continuing forward with $60 million dollar #12 in 2023 would be idiotic.  Eating 40 mil. in 2023 ain't great, but you are actually buying some draft capital, while getting out of future cap trouble.

Like the same team that can't fire Joe Barry is suddenly going to have the nuts to stand up to Rodgers.

Sorry y'all, looks like we're hanging into Rodgers. 

The cap hit when he really is done is going to be outrageous.

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Good question.   But they already gave him the contract.   $31M cap hit.  $100 million in dead cap.

OTC is unable to capture the nuances of the contract. We will not have a $100m dead cap if we trade him this offseason, even pre-June 1st.

17 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Agree.  I also don't think he's ready to walk away from the money or attention.  If Brady retires there is no way he wants to be overshadowed going into the hall.

I think he's coming back, but a lot will depend on what they do with Cobb, Bakh and Big Dog.  Those guys are very important to him.   Watch any developments with those guys.

I'm more curious to how they handle Love.   5th year?, trade?, extend? That will be interesting.

Personally, this is the most annoying part of Rodgers and one of the main reasons I'm ready to move on. His biggest concern is keeping his closest friends on the team so he can play with them again, regardless of whether they are over-the-hill and/or JAGs. Wanting Randall Cobb back on the team from a football standpoint is an indefensible position and certainly not one geared towards winning a championship. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Personally, this is the most annoying part of Rodgers and one of the main reasons I'm ready to move on. His biggest concern is keeping his closest friends on the team so he can play with them again, regardless of whether they are over-the-hill and/or JAGs. Wanting Randall Cobb back on the team from a football standpoint is an indefensible position and certainly not one geared towards winning a championship. 

Ya Cobb has looked cooked. I think Gute will likely want Tonyan and Big Dawg back regardless. 

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Ya Cobb has looked cooked. I think Gute will likely want Tonyan and Big Dawg back regardless. 

I wouldn't bring Lewis back either, especially for anything over a minimum-type deal, which he won't take. I don't care how good of a blocker he is at times, the guy is utterly useless in the passing game. It hinders your offense to have someone that limited on the field. Find a newer version of Lewis in the draft. It's time to move on from the 40-year old guys like Lewis, Crosby (and Rodgers). 

In reading the recap of Rodgers appearance on the McAfee show it sure sounds like he is open for a trade if the Packers want to enter a rebuild phase.  He said he has to feel like he has a chance to win it all or he's not interested.  My guess is that the Packers will bow once again to Aaron and start redoing contracts and signing his buddies again, but maybe they will surprise and tell him that they wish to go younger and give Love a shot. 

qNUEPBOz_normal.jpg

"If there's a rebuild going on, I won't be a part of it." If they want to go younger, they'll go with Love and Rodgers (if he wants to play) will play somewhere else. "There's no point in coming back if you can't win it all.''

Edited by {Family Ghost}

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

In reading the recap of Rodgers appearance on the McAfee show it sure sounds like he is open for a trade if the Packers want to enter a rebuild phase.  He said he has to feel like he has a chance to win it all or he's not interested.  My guess is that the Packers will bow once again to Aaron and start redoing contracts and signing his buddies again, but maybe they will surprise and tell him that they wish to go younger and give Love a shot. 

I don't think it has to be one or the other. Starting Love doesn't have to be a "rebuild". Dropping aging vets like Rodgers, Cobb, Lewis, Crosby could be a net-gain if Love plays decent football. Use that cap space you'd be wasting on retreads like Lewis and Cobb on a new pass catcher with better-than 5.0 speed and actually attempt to improve your roster. Defensively, there aren't a ton of moves needed, basically we need to replace Amos and probably look at trying to bring back maybe Reed, Ford and/or Nixon. Nothing major there that can't be addressed in the draft or maybe one FA signing. 

Edited by packfanfb

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I don't think it has to be one or the other. Starting Love doesn't have to be a "rebuild". Dropping aging vets like Rodgers, Cobb, Lewis, Crosby could be a net-gain if Love plays decent football. Use that cap space you'd be wasting on retreads like Lewis and Cobb on a new pass catcher with better-than 5.0 speed and actually attempt to improve your roster. Defensively, there aren't a ton of moves needed, basically we need to replace Amos and probably look at trying to bring back maybe Reed, Ford and/or Nixon. Nothing major there that can't be addressed in the draft or maybe one FA signing. 

I agree, and it is the way I would proceed if I was Gute.