Week something GDT: Texans @ Cowgirls

lumberjackchris

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

The Davis Mills revenge game 

We have some wiggle room, I’m good with getting as many wins as possible and still having pick 1. I’d love to beat the cowboys after failing to do so against the browns. 

my fear is that Mills is gonna look really good these next 5 weeks. This is kinda what happened last year. He started for a while, was replaced and then came back and was a completely different t QB. This is his 3rd and final chance at playing in the NFL. 

I would say his only chance at keeping the job long term is a 4 or 5 game win streak that knocks us out of position to take one of the top 3 QBs. 

At this point it would be pretty nuts to see us winning 2 or 3 more games but we do end the season with the Jags and Colts. So an upset against the cowboys, chiefs or titans and we could be in real danger. 

I think the most likely thing is that mills is playing for a chance to start at the beginning of next year knowing that our number 1 pick is taking the job sooner or later. Though it’s really rare for the number 1 overall pick when it’s a QB to not be a day 1 starter. Guys picked in the top 5 but not 1 are more likely to have to “earn” it. 

im skeptical on Bryce Young because of his size. Recent memory shows Tua and Murray as being good enough when surrounded by extreme talent and not very good when not, which I guess could be said about most QBs. But guys like Watson and Burrow were good enough to thrive without great talent throughout the roster. The most important thing is a pro bowl caliber WR to pair with them. 

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

But guys like Watson and Burrow were good enough to thrive without great talent throughout the roster. The most important thing is a pro bowl caliber WR to pair with them. 

…wasn’t Burrow throwing to JaMarr Chase and Justin Jefferson in college (with Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the backfield)? And immediately joined a team with Tyler Boyd, Joe Mixon and Tee Higgins?

I don’t disagree with your overall premise (I’m not going to argue height, it’s a stalemate on physical preferences - some are good on it, some aren’t - I get it) just curious on your example. Tua in Y1/Y2 might be a better choice for this particular example.

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We have some wiggle room, I’m good with getting as many wins as possible and still having pick 1. I’d love to beat the cowboys after failing to do so against the browns. 

Yeah - don’t look now, but Dallas is actually a really good team, probably a top 2-3 team in the NFC. Tony Pollard/Ezekiel Elliott is a tandem we have very little ability to stop, CeeDee Lamb is a WR we have very little ability to cover, Dak Prescott is going to air the ball out to several targets, our OL doesn’t really have a response to Micah Parsons (they’re going to scheme him away from Laremy Tunsil) and Trevon Diggs is going to create a few turnovers. 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot of Cooper Rush in this one. Cowboys should take care of business and rest starters after they build their lead.

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

…wasn’t Burrow throwing to JaMarr Chase and Justin Jefferson in college (with Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the backfield)? And immediately joined a team with Tyler Boyd, Joe Mixon and Tee Higgins?

I don’t disagree with your overall premise (I’m not going to argue height, it’s a stalemate on physical preferences - some are good on it, some aren’t - I get it) just curious on your example. Tua in Y1/Y2 might be a better choice for this particular example.

The Bengals offensive line was horrible and they went to the Super Bowl. 

57 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The Bengals offensive line was horrible and they went to the Super Bowl. 

Well, yeah - I don’t deny that. However, he had an a top 5 WR with two more WRs that would be #1 WRs on most teams, along with a top 5-10 RB.

It wasn’t a complete team, sure - but it was a dangerous offense to step into. It’s arguably the best WR unit in football with an elite RB to boot.

^ for that reason exactly I'm a little bit thinking that WR might be a greater need than QB. Imagine the Kubiak era without Andre Johnson, or the O'Brien era without Hopkins. Those guys were QB proof, a lot of our success happened with backup QBs in the game. I think the Texans biggest need might be to find the heir apparent to those two.

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Well, yeah - I don’t deny that. However, he had an a top 5 WR with two more WRs that would be #1 WRs on most teams, along with a top 5-10 RB.

It wasn’t a complete team, sure - but it was a dangerous offense to step into. It’s arguably the best WR unit in football with an elite RB to boot.

Chase was a rookie. It wasn’t like he had the WRs that Tua has this year. 

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Chase was a rookie. It wasn’t like he had the WRs that Tua has this year. 

Tua didn’t have WRs like that until this year - prior to that it was Preston Williams and DaVante Parker.

Chase was a rookie, but so was Burrow basically - he only played five games his rookie season before tearing his ACL, so it’s not like he really played much without Chase, he was there when Burrow got back. Even then, Higgins and Boyd were better than everyone Tua had prior to this past offseason, and Mixon was better than anyone Tua ever had at RB.

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

Tua didn’t have WRs like that until this year - prior to that it was Preston Williams and DaVante Parker.

Chase was a rookie, but so was Burrow basically - he only played five games his rookie season before tearing his ACL, so it’s not like he really played much without Chase, he was there when Burrow got back. Even then, Higgins and Boyd were better than everyone Tua had prior to this past offseason, and Mixon was better than anyone Tua ever had at RB.

You are 100% right about Tua, and before he had those WRs prior to this year, there was talk that the dolphins wanted to trade him because they didnt know he was the answer long term. That's my point. Very rarely do smaller QBs have the ability to elevate a team unless they are loaded with talent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

You are 100% right about Tua, and before he had those WRs prior to this year, there was talk that the dolphins wanted to trade him because they didnt know he was the answer long term. That's my point. Very rarely do smaller QBs have the ability to elevate a team unless they are loaded with talent. 

I think that’s not necessarily a fair take - it’s not like those options suddenly become appealing if Tua is 6’ 4” 230lbs. It’s not like Danny Jones would succeed there because he’s 6’ 5” 230lbs (but I think you agree with that - some QBs got it, some QBs don’t, supporting cast goes a long way).

I know I’m basically driving the Bryce train since October, but prior to that - I was 100% agreement with the board in regards to his size, I wasn’t a Bryce Young fan at all. I honestly thought Anthony Richardson or Hendon Hooker would pass him as the QB of choice and how Bryce’s size was about to be exploited by that Tennessee D. However - once I actually watched Bryce in that and other games, I saw something that’s beyond his height.

I might be on an island here and I could end up wrong (wouldn’t be the first time, as everyone here can attest)  but I think Bryce has that elusive “IT” factor that you simply can’t quantify or explain. It seems as if we’re on a collision course to get him at 1.1, so I’ll be proven right or wrong in some capacity.

At least this time I won’t have a screen name like BYoung_Texan or something like that.

(I totally WOULD rock that name, tbh).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

^ for that reason exactly I'm a little bit thinking that WR might be a greater need than QB. Imagine the Kubiak era without Andre Johnson, or the O'Brien era without Hopkins. Those guys were QB proof, a lot of our success happened with backup QBs in the game. I think the Texans biggest need might be to find the heir apparent to those two.

I’m all for Quentin Johnson with the Cleveland pick. Not sure he’ll be there, but I like him. Not as high on Jordan Addison, would rather get Jaxon Smith Njigba if Johnson is gone. 

I’m very interested in how Jalin Hyatt tests at the combine; He reminds me a lot of Will Fuller, a guy who can turn on some jets and sprint past everyone. If his medicals come back clean and he runs through the testing as expected, he’s a sneaky day 2 pick who could really bring a deep threat element to the field.

I really wouldn’t mind bringing in two WRs this draft - a guy early (Cleveland pick or a 2nd rounder) along with a day 3 guy who either has ridiculous production with poor testing, or poor production with unbelievable testing. Ideally, next years’ WR unit will be:

1. Rookie

2. Nico Collins

3. John Metchie III

4. Rookie 2

5. Chris Moore

I mean… it’s not The Avengers or anything, but this sort of lineup can get work done for the right (Bryce) QB.

• Like 1

I'm currently rooting for a trade down from 1.1 and we take Quentin Johnston. If we can get three 1s, or two 1s and two 2s for Bryce Young I think we absolutely have to take it. I don't even think we should waste any time thinking about it if we're offered something like that in case our trade partner changes their mind. At 1.1 Young is really the only player that makes sense, but we've got more holes than I can ever remember us having, and we're not really set up for Young to succeed right away. We probably won't have the opportunity to trade out tho.. 

Also I've been thinking about, if we're not able to trade out possibly going Carter at 1.1 (yes, even though it's a less impactful position), maybe trying to trade back up for Quentin Johnston (honestly I'd be cool taking him at 1.1 too, I don't expect him to make it out of the top 5, it's really not that crazy), but then rolling the dice on one of these other guys at QB and letting him compete against Mills. If a guy like Richardson slips into the second round, that's a pretty sweet value and it buys us a similar level of hope that Bryce would. 

We've got to find an alpha dog pass catcher for whoever's throwing next year.

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I’m all for Quentin Johnson with the Cleveland pick. Not sure he’ll be there, but I like him. Not as high on Jordan Addison, would rather get Jaxon Smith Njigba if Johnson is gone. 

I’m very interested in how Jalin Hyatt tests at the combine; He reminds me a lot of Will Fuller, a guy who can turn on some jets and sprint past everyone. If his medicals come back clean and he runs through the testing as expected, he’s a sneaky day 2 pick who could really bring a deep threat element to the field.

I really wouldn’t mind bringing in two WRs this draft - a guy early (Cleveland pick or a 2nd rounder) along with a day 3 guy who either has ridiculous production with poor testing, or poor production with unbelievable testing. Ideally, next years’ WR unit will be:

1. Rookie

2. Nico Collins

3. John Metchie III

4. Rookie 2

5. Chris Moore

I mean… it’s not The Avengers or anything, but this sort of lineup can get work done for the right (Bryce) QB.

I did not like what I saw from Johnson in the Big 12 Championship