Week something GDT: Texans @ Cowgirls

lumberjackchris

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think that’s not necessarily a fair take - it’s not like those options suddenly become appealing if Tua is 6’ 4” 230lbs. It’s not like Danny Jones would succeed there because he’s 6’ 5” 230lbs (but I think you agree with that - some QBs got it, some QBs don’t, supporting cast goes a long way).

I know I’m basically driving the Bryce train since October, but prior to that - I was 100% agreement with the board in regards to his size, I wasn’t a Bryce Young fan at all. I honestly thought Anthony Richardson or Hendon Hooker would pass him as the QB of choice and how Bryce’s size was about to be exploited by that Tennessee D. However - once I actually watched Bryce in that and other games, I saw something that’s beyond his height.

I might be on an island here and I could end up wrong (wouldn’t be the first time, as everyone here can attest)  but I think Bryce has that elusive “IT” factor that you simply can’t quantify or explain. It seems as if we’re on a collision course to get him at 1.1, so I’ll be proven right or wrong in some capacity.

At least this time I won’t have a screen name like BYoung_Texan or something like that.

(I totally WOULD rock that name, tbh).

What I’m saying is that you just don’t see smaller guys elevate bad teams very often. Guys with size like Burrow and even Jones can survive the growing pains because of their size. I’m afraid Young would end up hurt. 

On 12/8/2022 at 6:59 PM, Pastor Dillon said:

What I’m saying is that you just don’t see smaller guys elevate bad teams very often. Guys with size like Burrow and even Jones can survive the growing pains because of their size. I’m afraid Young would end up hurt.

Can we really point to an example of a small QB getting hurt? I understand it in principle, but the only two examples I can think of with QBs who got hurt in this fashion would be two BIG guys - 6’ 4” 240lb Andrew Luck and 6’ 2” 220lb Robert Griffin III. Maybe I’m forgetting somebody? I mean, Drew Brees in San Diego, maybe (but his New Orleans run sort of kills this narrative).

I don’t disagree with you in principle, but I think it’s more nuanced: Deshaun was 6’ 3” 220lbs, plenty of size - but he hung onto the ball too long, ran too recklessly when he scrambled and took hits he didn’t have to take, which led to the ACL and the other various injuries. Ditto Kyler - yeah, his size is concerning, but it’s not like his injuries are due to his size. He’s pulling hamstrings frequently (more of a conditioning issue over a size issue) because his first instinct is to run if his first target isn’t open. 

I’d argue play style is more important than play size. And in that respect, Young isn’t really a runner in that sense - he’s elusive, but he’s surprisingly disciplined in the pocket, feels the pressure and steps in and around to find his extra second or two. He only runs when the defense gives him the yardage and he’s surprisingly adept at getting out of bounds or sliding to avoid hits.

I get the concern, but I don’t have it with Young - because he’s got a very advanced sense in the pocket (I actually DO have this concern with Levis and Richardson, taking unnecessary contact). What Bryce can do in the pocket is unique, I’ll say that - but I’m on an island on that (maybe @Marco79 does too).

• Like 2