Week 14 Bye Week/Week 15 Thread: Rest up until the rematch against the Giants. NO TIES THIS TIME. SUNDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!

MikeT14

I am super bummed.  Now we have to win out and I don't see it happening. 

Granted the oline is a giant liability that is hard to plan around, but I have given up on Scott Turner.   Can't believe we just extended him.  I don't think his offense is bad so much as he just doesn't seem to get that there is a time to be cute and there is time not to.  When your team has established an identity (running ball) and it works, you stick with it.  This is game flow 101.  There is no excuse at all for that 3rd and 3 that we handed off to samuel when Robinsons was manhandling the entire giants defense.

While clearly JDR has turned the defense around after a dismal year last year and beginning of this year, I am starting to wonder if it is really just Allen/Payne having all pro years and when they are just good, his lack of coaching doesn't work.  I guess like Turner, he has built in excuses of personnel.  No linebackers, lack of defensive back depth.

I guess none of this matters because if we don't get to the playoffs and we do get a new owner I believe the whole staff will be canned.  I think getting to the playoffs minimum is the only way rivera saves his job if we get a new owner.  

Very frustrating after two weeks of enjoying our position.  Still, to be fair, in October, I would have never thought we would be playing meaningful football in mid December.

• Like 1

Last night really bugged me. Yeah, we show ourselves in the foot quite a bit but I think it was just the culmination of a terrible weekend of officiating. I started to get really annoyed during the Colts Vikings game where the officials were just missing obvious calls. It continued throughout the weekend in other games and then hit our game pretty hard. Unfortunately most of the calls went against us for a second time in a row against the Giants.

I don’t believe there was an inherent bias against us and the refs wanted the giants to win I just genuinely believe the league has an officiating problem. Every weekend this is happening. They’re terrified to throw PI flags at the end of the game or they make a super questionable call while another team is gaining momentum in a situation where it basically can alter the outcome. It’s just getting to the point where it’s hard to watch anymore. The league badly needs full time officials. Something has to be done. This stuff can’t just keep happening in front of millions of people and then being widely accepted as just part of the game. 

• Like 1

And what's the deal punting twice inside your opponents 35-40 yard line?

I mean, damn. I realize the winds are strong but do they not realize that points decide the outcome of games. It's not like Joey Slye doesn't have the leg for that.

I would almost rather go for it in that situation, than punt.

I thought those 2 decisions were stupidly conservative.

I'm all for playing smart & using field position to help your defense, but that's ridiculous, imo.

• Like 1

We can put a lot of blame everywhere on why we lost.

I know we'll have the usual Heinicke blamers, to the offensive line, to the defense, etc.

And all points are probably true.

But the fact is, we scored a TD to tie the game & had that taken away from us.

Then had an obvious call not called, that would have been a TD as well.

Worst case scenario should have been a 20-18 loss, with a failed 2- pt conversion.

To 

Best case scenario in a 20-20 tie, with a made 2- pt conversion.

But I never want hear that Officials don't impact football games, or even decide games.

Because they do. You just can't put yourself in a situation for them to do so.

But if you want to blame someone, other than the refs?

This game was on Rivera! You don't punt inside the 35 yard line cause a little wind, when you have a kicker who can kick at least a 58 yard FG.

Terrible decision making!

I am not going to get upset so much about the penalties and what was called etc...

The worst part about this game is that the Commanders came out flat. They didn't look like a team that was rested. They didn't seem to have any urgency to get after Daniel Jones. I don't think he was sacked at all last night. 

The defense made garbage receivers look like prime time players. 

I loathe Logan Thomas. I cant stand this offensive line. When you have an injury your depth should be able to suffice. I don't remember seeing any chipping help on Kayvon Thibodeaux who literally could do anything he wanted with the LT. 

Get the ball to McLaurin and don't give up on the run. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I think this is what bothers me about this a lot. People screw up. Everyone does at some point. If there was ONE guy though that I would believe went through the motions to make sure he was good and got the okay, it's DEFINTELY Terry. 

• Like 1

I saw this posted on ES

Write up I was compiling during the game about the officiating.

I want to preface this by saying I don't want to make excuses for the loss. I was hoping we could win, this post would come off as not (as) whiny. But we didn't win, and just because we lost doesn't mean the refs shouldn't be held accountable.

Our offense was atrocious all game outside of like 2 drives, their d-line was getting crazy pressure, their secondary was in good coverage, and we couldn't stop them when it mattered. We played very poorly, they played well.

Even with all of that, the officiating was awful. If I'm the NFL that crew are out of a job, and if I'm Rivera I'm demanding an apology.

• (2nd Quarter 13:45 remaining) Charles Leno is called for a hold. There's more holding than that on every single play of every single football game. This play erased a 12 yard run and immediately preceded a strip sack TD.
  • (2nd Quarter 10:34 remaining) Curtis Samuel is mugged, including a hit to the helmet, well before the ball gets to him and should have been a DPI.
  • (2nd Quarter 05:48 remaining) I'll admit this one is less important, but still upset me. Here Matt Breida runs into a pile up for what should be a 2-3 yard gain. After the whistle blows he stumbles forwards and they give him the extra few yards. No real need to whine about a couple extra yards especially since the next play would be good to convert even without them, but I've noticed this more and more across the league recently and I find it pretty infuriating.
  • (2nd Quarter 01:10 remaining) On the final drive of the half Curtis Samuel takes a helmet to helmet shot. Extra upsetting because it takes him an extra few seconds to get back up and the defender starts showboating.
  • (3rd Quarter 08:38 remaining) On the 2-Point try Dotson is called for OPI. At best this is a ticky tacky call. While he does seem to initiate contact, it's against a defender pressing him, he turns back to look for the ball, and the defender wasn't even guarding Samuel, who ended up receiving the pass.
  • (4th Quarter 08:58 remaining) Not actually sure if this one is illegal, but if it isn't it frankly should be. Dotson is already stood up, whistles are blowing, and two Giants defenders cannonball into him. (Also not related to my point, but the defenders who crash into him start dancing over him while he's trying to get up. Weird after just letting up a 60 yard play)
  • (4th Quarter 01:03 remaining) TD is nullified by an illegal formation because Terry wasn't on the line. This is ticky tacky, and especially because Terry repeatedly asks the ref if he is good, with no response, despite the Ref clearly knowing he wasn't considering the flag came out as the ball was being snapped.
  • (4th Quarter 00:56 remaining) Curtis Samuel missed DPI. This is the one that's gonna be on the morning shows tomorrow. And considering it may be the most blatant bad call, and as the last (meaningful) play of the game, it rightfully should be. A TD doesn't guarantee the win, it doesn't even guarantee OT, but it's nonetheless an awful miss.

A couple of bad breaks, the refs were right on these, but these easily could have been mistakes the other way.

• The DJ fumble and the second Heinicke fumble. Both (rightfully) overturned, but both incredibly close. If either goes the other way it could be a huge gamechanger.
  • The second Heinicke fumble also had the whistle being blown before the recovery. Teams are, as I understand, told to play through the whistle on a potential fumble and that recovery can come after the whistle. That being said I've seen many teams (including us) be screwed in the last few years and lose a TO to a bad whistle.

Again this does not excuse the loss. We should've beaten them by 40, even being incredibly generous the refs could've swung the game by a couple scores max, and we should be better enough to overcome that. I can also acknowledge that many teams in many games can probably compile similar lists. But to me that illustrates a larger problem with NFL officiating.

Edited by aceinthehouse