Falcons starting rookie QB Desmond Ridder

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

The fact that it's this late makes it look more like a "what do we have here" than a "beating Mariota for the starting spot" thing to me.

Bingo - season is pretty much ticking to midnight, need to see if Ridder is going to get a shot at the starting job or if there’s an immediate need to draft a QB. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Bingo - season is pretty much ticking to midnight, need to see if Ridder is going to get a shot at the starting job or if there’s an immediate need to draft a QB. 

Agree, I wished it was earlier being a 4 game sample size is small. Better late than never, I guess.

• Like 2

Just now, DABEARSLCF04 said:

The division is still up for grabs, and have scored the most points in the NFC south? And there goong this route? The defense is a bigger problem.

The record is skewed. Beating the Niners down 10 starters and the Browns completing only 7 passes would be 2 examples. We have holes everywhere for sure, and it's not all his fault at all. The defense can't tackle or get pressure and LG/C has been an abomination, those won't get any better until free agency/the draft. Good QB play can make up for some of that though and missing open receivers when you aren't asked to throw a lot is a problem. 7 years in the league, he is what he is. I'd punt on the playoffs in a hearbeat to find out if Ridder could be the guy. If not, QB needs to be revisited again this offseason. I just don't see the point in making the playoffs to say you made it only to get demolished by Dallas or someone like that first round. That's just me though.

• Like 4

The Carolina OT game, another example. We've literally won in spite of poor QB play several times. Playing in all of these close games is a testament to the job the coaches have done as far as maximizing the talent (or lack thereof) on this roster.

Edited by DM316

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Puts Atlanta in a weird (favorable?) spot if he looks somewhat decent. There’s going to be some talented, if a little flawed, QBs in the mid-to-late first. One way or another it sort of seems like Atlanta’s going to put their eggs in Ridder’s basket, or someone else’s. 

Scenario A, where they don’t draft someone, worst case scenario (for Ridder) ATL signs a veteran QB, of which he’ll be breathing down their neck anyway. Best case scenario Ridder outright wins the job and walks into 2023 as the starter.  

Scenario B, ATL drafts an upside guy early…they still probably need a veteran in there, so now you’re battling for a spot 1-3. And even then, it’s only a matter of time before the new guy gets his shot, whether he deserves it or not.

Will be interesting to see how he does, it’s really going to change their plans IMO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DawgX said:

Might as well and see what they have in him since Mariota sucks.

Yup.

4 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Hope is better than Mariota. Need that dub vs the Saints plz.

Saints W would go a long way for Ridder.

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

The fact that it's this late makes it look more like a "what do we have here" than a "beating Mariota for the starting spot" thing to me.

It was also just Art Smith being stubborn.

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I have no clue why they stuck with Mariota for so long? Excited to see what Ridder can do for them however. 

Arthur SMith was being stubborn.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Yup. But let's say they go 4-0 to close out the season. Good momentum for Ridder and the team heading into 2023.

2 hours ago, DABEARSLCF04 said:

The division is still up for grabs, and have scored the most points in the NFC south? And there goong this route? The defense is a bigger problem.

Mariota was a big issue in losses. His inability to convert 3rd downs lost 5 games this year. Defense is an issue yes, but they will have nearly $100M this offseason to address the defense and add some weapons for Ridder with.

• Like 2