2023 FA Targets

dll2000

19 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Payne

Jenkins

Omenihu

Really any of those top 3/4 UTs should be the #1 which then gives you real options come draft time…say you have Payne and draft Carter you interior is elite because you slide Payne to NT…if you draft Anderson to play RE then have Payne at UT…or you trade down for a ton of picks but still have a quality addition at UT…Paynes ability to play UT or NT puts him ahead of the other guys but any of Payne/Hargrave/Allen/Jones gives you at least some flexibility…Hargrave played as a 3-4 NT for long enough…both Allen & Jones have played as edge defenders…best OL in FA then opens you up to drafting the best available OL in the draft at the other spot…Jenkins again gives you real flexibility because he can play OG or OT…even played centre in college but you could sign Bradbury to fix centre then draft a OG or OT…Omenihu is just that big long DE that teams want who can line up outside on early down and inside on passing downs…would be thee guys who give us plenty of options moving forward.

The DL needs an overhaul and the OL needs help.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

The DL needs an overhaul and the OL needs help.

I'm all or Payne, Elgton Jenkins, Pocic.

First priority for me is to beef up the OL and Jenkins and Pocic give you the OT and C you need. Jones - Whitehair/Borom - Pocic - T. Jenkins - E. Jenkins is a great OL. Keep Whitehair or not, either option would be the Garza of the OL, great if they are the weakest link or you're screwed if they're the best.

Payne gives a presence in the middle, but regardless of Anderson or Carter you can build around them. If we get to trade back we can add talent. With a late 1st or early 2nd Dexter might be available ( I think he'll rise to mid-late 1st), with our other 2nd Mazi Smith likely will be available. Ika would be another guy at NT that could be disruptive, though he would need to lose some weight too. There should be plenty of good talent in the first 3 rounds and to be honest even rookies in the 2nd and 3rd will likely be immediate upgrades compared to what the Bears are fielding now. Might be a pipe-dream but I'd love to see Breesee fall due to his injury history. I'd most likely be down for that gamble.

Get 2 best OL you can and use Whitehair as the 5th OL wherever there is the hole, get 1-2 best DL you can, and fill in the rest as you can with the draft and bargain bin. I'd have no issue starting 3 rookies on the DL with Payne. Having Payne and Allen would be awesome though, especially if able to get Anderson/Carter and Mazi.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

they are absolutely not correct haha

No doubt.... but if they can pin people to a general RANGE of picks it's helpful at least.  I think the Ohio State EDGE  Zach Harrison was talking about is an interesting one to bring up for that reason... He was a 5 star prospect coming out, and allegedly is going to have elite measurables and RAS..... but his production kind of sucks, especially relative to the potential.  I've seen some draft sims peg him as late as a 4th rounder, and I've seen at least one draft sim have him in the top 40.  It'll be very interesting to see where he ends up during the process, though expectations would obviously be that the combine shoots him up the boards into the 2nd round range. I wouldn't take him as a  team's #1 edge guy, but like in my example above, I think he'd be a very tempting pick up in the 3rd if we snagged Anderson in the first to be that #1 EDGE guy, and let him be the #2 on the other side with high upside.

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

No doubt.... but if they can pin people to a general RANGE of picks it's helpful at least.  I think the Ohio State EDGE  Zach Harrison was talking about is an interesting one to bring up for that reason... He was a 5 star prospect coming out, and allegedly is going to have elite measurables and RAS..... but his production kind of sucks, especially relative to the potential.  I've seen some draft sims peg him as late as a 4th rounder, and I've seen at least one draft sim have him in the top 40.  It'll be very interesting to see where he ends up during the process, though expectations would obviously be that the combine shoots him up the boards into the 2nd round range. I wouldn't take him as a  team's #1 edge guy, but like in my example above, I think he'd be a very tempting pick up in the 3rd if we snagged Anderson in the first to be that #1 EDGE guy, and let him be the #2 on the other side with high upside.

When @Madmike90 mentions Omenihu as a big, long DE who can slide inside on obvious pass rush downs Zach Harrison is the exact guy I think of in this draft. I love the idea of Harrison as the guy opposite a stud edge rusher like Anderson, Murphy or Wilson in the top 10. Signing Omenihu on top of that would be even better. He’s a guy I think can be for us what Flus thought AQM could be. 

2 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

There is no point in a FA WR.... The only real need is a young guy to develop with Fields...Claypool, Mooney, and Jones Jr. are kind of going to be the guys and Pettis got a roster spot for his ST play

Pettis has kept a roster spot in 2022 because he’s a PR they trust to catch the ball, but he isn’t a particularly good PR such that you have to hold a roster spot for what he brings there, and his value as a WR is entirely replacement level or below. If they don’t see Velus being the KR/PR in 2023 and beyond after refining his craft over the offseason then you have to look to upgrade there over Pettis IMO with someone who brings more overall. Either way, I think his return for 2023 is no more than as a fall back option. 

My top 3 FA targets: 

1) DT Da’Ron Payne - he’s exactly what we need at 3T and he’d be a long term fixture at just 25 years old.

2) C Ethan Pocic - he’s been arguably the best center in the NFL this year (1 sack allowed and 0 penalties in 629 snaps for CLE). He’ll be just 28 next year.

3) OG/OT Elgton Jenkins - highly versatile upper echelon starter can plug in for us at RT or LG (if Whitehair moves on). Maximizes draft flexibility to add the best player on the OL regardless of position. Getsy familiarity. Hurts the team to the north. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

My top 3 FA targets: 

1) DT Da’Ron Payne - he’s exactly what we need at 3T and he’d be a long term fixture at just 25 years old.

2) C Ethan Pocic - he’s been arguably the best center in the NFL this year (1 sack allowed and 0 penalties in 629 snaps for CLE). He’ll be just 28 next year.

3) OG/OT Elgton Jenkins - highly versatile upper echelon starter can plug in for us at RT or LG (if Whitehair moves on). Maximizes draft flexibility to add the best player on the OL regardless of position. Getsy familiarity. Hurts the team to the north. 

The first 2 are really the only ones I want

The whole Lucas Patrick thing kind of spoiled me on the Packers Oline haha, like all these 7th round guys, undrafted guys, all of a sudden get good?

I think Rodgers is just a hall of fame talent who makes his team look good because he gets the ball out quickly and has a high IQ. Patrick is straight up injured garbage but somehow was a really good player when put next to Rodgers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

The first 2 are really the only ones I want

The whole Lucas Patrick thing kind of spoiled me on the Packers Oline haha, like all these 7th round guys, undrafted guys, all of a sudden get good?

I think Rodgers is just a hall of fame talent who makes his team look good because he gets the ball out quickly and has a high IQ. Patrick is straight up injured garbage but somehow was a really good player when put next to Rodgers

Elgton was a 2nd rounder though, so it isn't like he came out of nowhere. Bak being in the 4th could have been lumped in that group maybe but he's been good for so damn long. I think Patrick was definitely a beneficiary of Rodgers and having all that talent around him though. Kind of like what I said with Bushrod when we signed him, the quick passing game fit but I didn't think he was going to be as good for us because he had a fair number of bad reps that were almost inconsequential because of how fast the ball came out. I liked Runyan pre-draft so I'm torn in hoping he is like Patrick or wanting him to be good for my own ego. lol

Really though I am glad Bak has over $20 mil in dad cap if he is cut next year, because I could see them cutting him and re-signing Jenkins since he has had issues with that knee for the last two years.

In a completely meathead and unrealistic dream Rodgers retires and jacks up their cap, so GB says they're going to just tank and cuts off big/aging deals and cuts Bak too. Bears sign both Bak and Jenkins, and both stay healthy to support Fields so they can get revenge on GB for whatever personal vendettas they can imagine.

• Like 1

Who is a FA you guys don’t want us to sign?

For me it’s OBJ. “I don’t need to play in the regular season.” Oh yeah? Then go play somewhere else. **** that guy. Want no part of that in our locker room, and that’s before you even consider his 2 ACLs in 2 years, his likely price point and that he hasn’t produced like a #1 WR since 2018, which next year will be five years ago

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

My top 3 FA targets: 

That’s my dream trio as well. I’ve read Payne may not make it to the open market but if he does we should be all over it. 

A capable center imo is the number 1 thing the offensive line needs and Pocic is more than that. 

Jenkins is a perfect fit for many reasons. His versatility is invaluable. 

Jones-Whitehair-Pocic-Jenkins-Jenkins

Maybe you draft a starter at LG who makes Whitehair expendable. Regardless that line has elite potential especially if Jones reaches his ceiling. 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

For me it’s OBJ. “I don’t need to play in the regular season.” Oh yeah? Then go play somewhere else. **** that guy. Want no part of that in our locker room, and that’s before you even consider his 2 ACLs in 2 years, his likely price point and that he hasn’t produced like a #1 WR since 2018, which next year will be five years ago

There was a point I would have loved OBJ but after the recent reports about his knee I’m not so sure especially since he will command a big payday. Orlando Brown is another guy I’d have loved to target a few months ago, but he has not had a good year. I think he will be a total bust for whoever signs him. 

A KC Chief I would target is Mecole Hardman. He was having a nice year before the injury. You can never have enough speed and he’d be a great fit for Fields and the offense. 

Claypool, Mooney, Hardman, day 2 pick, Harry. Would we be satisfied with this receiver room? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I can definitely see that. If the Bears had a postseason spot locked up or signed him knowing we were tanking I'd be OK with him being shut down for the year. The way he said it really makes him look like a jack*** though. 

I want no part of Orlando Brown. I think he gets a massive deal and won't be worth it. Since leaving BAL he has been up and down, a good stretch looking mediocre in KC, though he has looked good the last few times i saw him. That's not what I want for a $20+ mil OT. To me he is Roquan, obvious talent but not consistent enough to warrant the market adjusting deal. 

Another is Davenport. I drafted him real time and love how much talent and physicality he brings but he's going to get a big deal and is made of glass it seems.

I don't want Hardman, not because of how things went with Pringle, I've just never been crazy about him. KC thought that Juju and MVS were needed because he wasn't ready to be a 1 or 2 so I don't see that making him worth signing here. We don't have a Kelce to be the defenses priority and I prefer Mooney and Claypool to him. 

McGlinchey is a someone I struggle with. I want to like him and was a really big fan of his predraft but the few times I get to watch SF it seems like he gets his *** kicked. Has me nervous. 

I'm over my desire for CHI to sign Kareem Hunt. He doesn't look like the same guy anymore. Explosion isn't there, he's hesitating more, and now the gap in talent between him and Chubb is just growing. He would be Herbert's back up now imo. As a cheap 3rd down receiving HB I could be on board but I think he gets $6+ mil per year and that's just not what he's worth to me. I'd rather try moving Velus and invest in the OL or DL with the saved money. 

Also no to Amos. Most because I'm bitter. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I can definitely see that. If the Bears had a postseason spot locked up or signed him knowing we were tanking I'd be OK with him being shut down for the year. The way he said it really makes him look like a jack*** though. 

I want no part of Orlando Brown. I think he gets a massive deal and won't be worth it. Since leaving BAL he has been up and down, a good stretch looking mediocre in KC, though he has looked good the last few times i saw him. That's not what I want for a $20+ mil OT. To me he is Roquan, obvious talent but not consistent enough to warrant the market adjusting deal. 

Another is Davenport. I drafted him real time and love how much talent and physicality he brings but he's going to get a big deal and is made of glass it seems.

I don't want Hardman, not because of how things went with Pringle, I've just never been crazy about him. KC thought that Juju and MVS were needed because he wasn't ready to be a 1 or 2 so I don't see that making him worth signing here. We don't have a Kelce to be the defenses priority and I prefer Mooney and Claypool to him. 

McGlinchey is a someone I struggle with. I want to like him and was a really big fan of his predraft but the few times I get to watch SF it seems like he gets his *** kicked. Has me nervous. 

I'm over my desire for CHI to sign Kareem Hunt. He doesn't look like the same guy anymore. Explosion isn't there, he's hesitating more, and now the gap in talent between him and Chubb is just growing. He would be Herbert's back up now imo. As a cheap 3rd down receiving HB I could be on board but I think he gets $6+ mil per year and that's just not what he's worth to me. I'd rather try moving Velus and invest in the OL or DL with the saved money. 

Also no to Amos. Most because I'm bitter. 

I never was a fan of Hardman but after watching a few Chiefs games this year he seemed to have taken a step. His routes looked more crisp than I expected. With how weak the FA class is I think he would be a solid fit as our WR3. Draft a WR in rounds 2-4 and say goodbye to ESB and Pettis for good. 

I’m very intrigued by the RB class. It’s so deep that some of these guys may come as a bargain. My question is will Pollard demand the same pay day as Barkley and Jacobs? I know throwing money at RBs isn’t how you build a team but we have so much money it’s not that crazy of an idea. I love Monty but adding an explosive guy like Pollard would make the run game impossible to defend. 

• Like 1