2023 FA Targets

dll2000

On 12/10/2022 at 9:11 AM, AZBearsFan said:

Who is a FA you guys don’t want us to sign?

For me it’s OBJ. “I don’t need to play in the regular season.” Oh yeah? Then go play somewhere else. **** that guy. Want no part of that in our locker room, and that’s before you even consider his 2 ACLs in 2 years, his likely price point and that he hasn’t produced like a #1 WR since 2018, which next year will be five years ago

I would be really disappointed with an OBJ signing.  

Red flag guy who has been mostly down in recent years and oft injured to boot.  

Living off past rep in a big market. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Same. If the first is involved for a WR I better be getting a #1 AND two firsts, one being in the top 10 this year. Rams aren't going to shop Kupp, SEA isn't going to shop Metcalf, Raiders won't shop Adams, and PHI doesn't need a QB so there is zero reason to part with Brown or Smith.

I was toying with the idea last night on the PFN draft sim of trading down from 3 with IND or CAR (in most of the scenarios I ran SEA took Anderson 2nd), taking the best available DL, and then trading back up with the draft capital from the trade down to the mid 1st for a top WR prospect. Essentially it turned picks 3 and 58 into 7 or 9 and like 18, plus an extra 2024 1st, and I kept ending up with Tyree Wilson and JSN. This is obviously more plausible if we end up picking 2nd…

60-FE1-A7-E-5663-41-A8-BF72-F834-D4-F181

00239012-1-CEB-4373-8674-B716-B9-DF9-CDC

F10162-C4-DD9-E-4-FF3-9123-C2-BEF8-D2-FA

3 2nds for a WR prospect is rich, no doubt, but they were just borrowed and never really ours in this scenario anyway. You’re basically swapping Carter and like Cedric Tillman here for Wilson JSN and an extra 1st next year. I wouldn’t oppose the idea of trading them for an established stud WR1 either. I also wouldn’t oppose the idea of just keeping the 2nd rounders or at least most of them and flipping the 2024 CAR 1 or our own for a proven stud player.

But again, all of this works better if we’re picking 2nd and not 3rd… 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I was toying with the idea last night on the PFN draft sim of trading down from 3 with IND or CAR (in most of the scenarios I ran SEA took Anderson 2nd), taking the best available DL, and then trading back up with the draft capital from the trade down to the mid 1st for a top WR prospect. Essentially it turned picks 3 and 58 into 7 or 9 and like 18, plus an extra 2024 1st, and I kept ending up with Tyree Wilson and JSN. This is obviously more plausible if we end up picking 2nd…

60-FE1-A7-E-5663-41-A8-BF72-F834-D4-F181

00239012-1-CEB-4373-8674-B716-B9-DF9-CDC

F10162-C4-DD9-E-4-FF3-9123-C2-BEF8-D2-FA

3 2nds for a WR prospect is rich, no doubt, but they were just borrowed and never really ours in this scenario anyway. You’re basically swapping Carter and like Cedric Tillman here for Wilson JSN and an extra 1st next year. I wouldn’t oppose the idea of trading them for an established stud WR1 either. I also wouldn’t oppose the idea of just keeping the 2nd rounders or at least most of them and flipping the 2024 CAR 1 or our own for a proven stud player.

But again, all of this works better if we’re picking 2nd and not 3rd… 

Sign me up!

14 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Tricky because of the injury history…that said when he is on the field he makes the QBs life so much easier just because of how good a route runner he is and his overall reliability so I would make a run at him on a short term deal if he were to become a FA…Fields needs that high volume easy target type guy

Injury history is scary but that and age SHOULD bring the price down too. 

I'd be very interested in a trade but they aren't even getting the 2nd rounder in the conversation. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Injury history is scary but that and age SHOULD bring the price down too. 

I'd be very interested in a trade but they aren't even getting the 2nd rounder in the conversation. 

Allen might be tough to get because the Chargers think they can compete now...Allen is a master at what he does but what we need to do is find a target who brings the same 3 top traits...hands, release, route running...we just need a guy who can win off the LOS quickly and provide an easy and reliable target...JSN is probably the best option in the draft for that at the right price...JuJu probably the best in FA but getting him out of KC now would be tough...

Throw 40 times out the window...we have the chunk play downfield weapons...just need someone to average 12 YPC but catch everything thrown his way with ease.

If WSH decides to pay Da’Ron Payne instead of letting him hit FA I wonder if either Montez Sweat or Chase Young come available for trade. They already have a ton tied up in Jonathan Allen. Sweat is a FA in 2024 as is Young (5th year option for 2024). Especially if we trade down and acquire extra capital, a move to get a young, established edge rusher would make a lot of sense for us and would free us up to go WR in R1 (with Mooney and Claypool UFA in 2024 as well a drafted WR would better position us to possibly pay both if merited while the rookie is cheap for 4-5 years). It would also give WSH added capital to move up for a QB this or next year. 

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If WSH decides to pay Da’Ron Payne instead of letting him hit FA I wonder if either Montez Sweat or Chase Young come available for trade. They already have a ton tied up in Jonathan Allen. Sweat is a FA in 2024 as is Young (5th year option for 2024). Especially if we trade down and acquire extra capital, a move to get a young, established edge rusher would make a lot of sense for us and would free us up to go WR in R1 (with Mooney and Claypool UFA in 2024 as well a drafted WR would better position us to possibly pay both if merited while the rookie is cheap for 4-5 years). It would also give WSH added capital to move up for a QB this or next year. 

Chase may be someone they are willing to part with due to injuries.   Availability becomes a thing.  

For that same reason I don't want to make a any monster trade for him.

Sweat I am guessing is someone they covet and isn't going anywhere.  

That is only reason someone like Payne hits market.   You can't usually have everyone.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Chase may be someone they are willing to part with due to injuries.   Availability becomes a thing.  

For that same reason I don't want to make a any monster trade for him.

Sweat I am guessing is someone they covet and isn't going anywhere.  

That is only reason someone like Payne hits market.   You can't usually have everyone.

Agree Young may have the better chance to hit the market between he and Sweat. Let’s see where he’s at coming back from his late season torn ACL (supposed to be back on the field this week I believe). He has a durability flag for sure. You’d expect he’ll be fully healthy entering 2023. Young also has a higher ceiling than any of the FA edge rushers in FA this year by far and will be just 24 next year.

A scenario where we go from what we have now to he and Murphy or Wilson in R1 plus an upper tier DT in FA would turn a glaring weakness ant DL into a pretty big strength moving forward too. Risk would be worth the reward to me, at least up to a certain cost, because if you’re making that move you’re doing so with an eye toward him being around for several years in a key role at a premium position. 

With that said, Young has a $11M cap hit next year and Sweat $11.5M. They can almost certainly make that work for 2023 before they have to likely choose between the two on which to keep long term after next season. 

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

For those pining for Mike McGlinchy know that 49ers fans are not big on him at all. 

I saw him give up a few big plays last night.  But I didn’t watch just him.  

But honestly it looked casually like he made most of his blocks.  

On 12/9/2022 at 3:32 PM, Sugashane said:

I'm all or Payne, Elgton Jenkins, Pocic.

First priority for me is to beef up the OL and Jenkins and Pocic give you the OT and C you need. Jones - Whitehair/Borom - Pocic - T. Jenkins - E. Jenkins is a great OL. Keep Whitehair or not, either option would be the Garza of the OL, great if they are the weakest link or you're screwed if they're the best.

Payne gives a presence in the middle, but regardless of Anderson or Carter you can build around them. If we get to trade back we can add talent. With a late 1st or early 2nd Dexter might be available ( I think he'll rise to mid-late 1st), with our other 2nd Mazi Smith likely will be available. Ika would be another guy at NT that could be disruptive, though he would need to lose some weight too. There should be plenty of good talent in the first 3 rounds and to be honest even rookies in the 2nd and 3rd will likely be immediate upgrades compared to what the Bears are fielding now. Might be a pipe-dream but I'd love to see Breesee fall due to his injury history. I'd most likely be down for that gamble.

Get 2 best OL you can and use Whitehair as the 5th OL wherever there is the hole, get 1-2 best DL you can, and fill in the rest as you can with the draft and bargain bin. I'd have no issue starting 3 rookies on the DL with Payne. Having Payne and Allen would be awesome though, especially if able to get Anderson/Carter and Mazi.

Jenkins and Jenkins, attorneys at law

guarding your most precious assets, tackling your legal needs

• Like 1