2023 FA Targets

dll2000

Just now, Docknstein11 said:

I don’t see why not. He’s not 2015 JJ anymore but he’s still a damn good player and probably has a couple more good years in the tank. They have the money and he’d be a great leader for a young Dline. Would have been a good fit. 

I would be far more worried about him wanting one year in GB than coming here...at his best simply dominant but after what happened to him with the cardiac arrest and with a new baby this is the right time for him to hang them up. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Docknstein11 said:

I don’t see why not. He’s not 2015 JJ anymore but he’s still a damn good player and probably has a couple more good years in the tank. They have the money and he’d be a great leader for a young Dline. Would have been a good fit. 

Pass for me. With his advanced age, medical history, and the fact that he would not come cheap I wouldn't do it personally. For that we could have kept Mack who is younger. This regime seems to also want to get younger.

40 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

I don't think Watt would have been an ideal target given his age. I doubt if Poles would sign someone getting ready to be 34 at this point.

I dont think we really know what his actual preferences are. We know what he did when he was trying to clear the roster an tank, but I dont think thats the plan for any other year going forward.

I could see a standard practice of not giving older vets multiple years worth of guaranteed dollars. I would actually be very happy with that. But if for some reason, we were looking for a specific type of player, to fill a hole, on a playoff contending team. I dont think just because a guy is 31+ or whatever would stop him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I dont think we really know what his actual preferences are. We know what he did when he was trying to clear the roster an tank, but I dont think thats the plan for any other year going forward.

I could see a standard practice of not giving older vets multiple years worth of guaranteed dollars. I would actually be very happy with that. But if for some reason, we were looking for a specific type of player, to fill a hole, on a playoff contending team. I dont think just because a guy is 31+ or whatever would stop him.

I will ban myself from the forum if Poles gives big money to a 34 year vet for the team as it stands. I wouldn't say what he did this off-season will be the plan moving forward, however, signing aging veterans with a pretty substantial injury history would be bad practice. Watt hasn't been Watt for quite some time. This has been the first decent season that he has had in a while.

10 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

I will ban myself from the forum if Poles gives big money to a 34 year vet for the team as it stands. I wouldn't say what he did this off-season will be the plan moving forward, however, signing aging veterans with a pretty substantial injury history would be bad practice. Watt hasn't been Watt for quite some time. This has been the first decent season that he has had in a while.

I don’t think anyone wants Poles to give Watt a huge deal but a 1-2 year deal?Especially if we were to end up with Carter he would be the perfect mentor. With the amount of cap and the youth movement in full stride they could afford to add someone like Watt IMO but this is a moot point anyway. 

26 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Yep, I wouldn't shy away from him. Would he be above Payne for me on my list? Hell no, but JJ for a 2-3 year deal with only 1-2 years guaranteed? I'm down. We need playmakers and if healthy he is a stud. Vs TB he was downright dominant.

This team is void of talent almost across the board. Hopefully Poles realizes we aren't getting everyone in their prime, but aging vets can offer him a stopgap while he (hopefully) builds through the draft. Take advantage of Fields' rookie deal because it will be long gone soon. He's going to eat a big chunk of your cap space if he is the guy.

1 hour ago, Docknstein11 said:

I don’t think anyone wants Poles to give Watt a huge deal but a 1-2 year deal?Especially if we were to end up with Carter he would be the perfect mentor. With the amount of cap and the youth movement in full stride they could afford to add someone like Watt IMO but this is a moot point anyway. 

I think we’re gonna see a fair share of that this year tbh. We have starters reps to give at, what, maybe 10 positions? Figuring WR, C, RT, DE (2), DT (1-2), LB (1-2 depending on whether Morrow is retained), CB2. Could potentially count TE2 as a starter in our scheme too. Figure 2-3 multi-year deals for longer term fixes in FA and our R1/2 picks to be expected starters. That only fills half those spots. Still capable vets past their prime on short term deals and guys on prove-it deals are ideal bridges for developmental prospects.

IMO, we shouldn’t go into TC for 2023 with a mid round rookie expected to start at a key position. We have the cap space to pay for a solid stop gap until that young player is ready to start, whether that’s week 1, week 10 or 2024. Best case the young player is ready quick and we have a solid vet backup and a player who may factor favorably into the comp pick formula in 2024. Worst case the rookie isn’t ready at all in 2023 but we still have a capable starter. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think we’re gonna see a fair share of that this year tbh. We have starters reps to give at, what, maybe 10 positions? Figuring WR, C, RT, DE (2), DT (1-2), LB (1-2 depending on whether Morrow is retained), CB2. Could potentially count TE2 as a starter in our scheme too. Figure 2-3 multi-year deals for longer term fixes in FA and our R1/2 picks to be expected starters. That only fills half those spots. Still capable vets past their prime on short term deals and guys on prove-it deals are ideal bridges for developmental prospects.

IMO, we shouldn’t go into TC for 2023 with a mid round rookie expected to start at a key position. We have the cap space to pay for a solid stop gap until that young player is ready to start, whether that’s week 1, week 10 or 2024. Best case the young player is ready quick and we have a solid vet backup and a player who may factor favorably into the comp pick formula in 2024. Worst case the rookie isn’t ready at all in 2023 but we still have a capable starter. 

Wish I could like this post more than once.

Even with a ton of money this will be a multiple year process. Right now Fields' deal is cheap and that needs to be accounted for. We need Poles to get a few impact players and then will need to sign some older guys who are still able to play at a good level. Chicago will have to overpay on some guys and hope they are able to stay healthy. I want to sign Ngakoue but as a bookend I will be damn happy with Brandon Graham/Justin Houston/Clowney being the starting bookend opposite of him. Morrow might be re-signed and start with Sanborn, so we might need to look at someone with injury concerns (Anthony Walker) or potentially overpay for someone who has been up and down (Vender Esch). We will likely have to sign some one-dimensional players or aging guys at DT to rotate in. These deal will be structured to account for potentially being cut due to performance or injury, and to account for guys needing re-signed, and Fields' potential albatross of a deal after his 5th year. With them coming off the books I have no issue throwing high AAVs at guys who should hopefully be studs for the next year or two.

Honestly I REALLY want to go all-in on a top running back. Jacobs, Barkley, and Pollard are guys who can make explosive plays in the run game AND the pass game. I count the cap allotment for QBs and HBs together, as every play (almost) is in one of their hands. A great receiving back also means more productive dump offs for Fields (so less hits on him) and makes it harder to spy him when the HB runs a route (helps Fields get running lanes).

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Wish I could like this post more than once.

Even with a ton of money this will be a multiple year process. Right now Fields' deal is cheap and that needs to be accounted for. We need Poles to get a few impact players and then will need to sign some older guys who are still able to play at a good level. Chicago will have to overpay on some guys and hope they are able to stay healthy. I want to sign Ngakoue but as a bookend I will be damn happy with Brandon Graham/Justin Houston/Clowney being the starting bookend opposite of him. Morrow might be re-signed and start with Sanborn, so we might need to look at someone with injury concerns (Anthony Walker) or potentially overpay for someone who has been up and down (Vender Esch). We will likely have to sign some one-dimensional players or aging guys at DT to rotate in. These deal will be structured to account for potentially being cut due to performance or injury, and to account for guys needing re-signed, and Fields' potential albatross of a deal after his 5th year. With them coming off the books I have no issue throwing high AAVs at guys who should hopefully be studs for the next year or two.

Honestly I REALLY want to go all-in on a top running back. Jacobs, Barkley, and Pollard are guys who can make explosive plays in the run game AND the pass game. I count the cap allotment for QBs and HBs together, as every play (almost) is in one of their hands. A great receiving back also means more productive dump offs for Fields (so less hits on him) and makes it harder to spy him when the HB runs a route (helps Fields get running lanes).

Justin Houston is a guy I would love to see Poles target as well. Has experience working with Flus and seems like a Suggs/James Harrison type who will be productive into his late 30s.

All in on the Tony Pollard train 🚂 

I’d like to see us go after Taylor Heinicke to be our QB2 next year. Nobody has Fields’ skill set, but Heinicke has got enough mobility that you could still run a lot of the same stuff with him, and he’s got the experience you want in a backup IMO (25 starts with some success for a tough fan base, some (but limited) playoff experience, resoundingly liked by his teammates). He’s got enough ability to keep you afloat should Fields miss a few games. We don’t have that with Siemien. If we plan on being a playoff contender next year (and I expect that is the plan) then I think it’s a prudent move. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’d like to see us go after Taylor Heinicke to be our QB2 next year. Nobody has Fields’ skill set, but Heinicke has got enough mobility that you could still run a lot of the same stuff with him, and he’s got the experience you want in a backup IMO (25 starts with some success for a tough fan base, some (but limited) playoff experience, resoundingly liked by his teammates). He’s got enough ability to keep you afloat should Fields miss a few games. We don’t have that with Siemien. If we plan on being a playoff contender next year (and I expect that is the plan) then I think it’s a prudent move. 

Malik Cunningham is the late pick I want for that role. Does nothing as good as Fields but that's why he isn't a top 15 pick. I think in the 5th or lower it is a great move to snag him. At worst you have a super mobile scout team QB to make your defense try to contain. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Everybody wants Payne including Washington.

He might get tagged or resigned.   Or signed by someone else.   Going to be a lot of competition for him.

Agreed. I think Hargrave is a guy to really focus on. He's more likely to hit the open market. 

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Malik Cunningham is the late pick I want for that role. Does nothing as good as Fields but that's why he isn't a top 15 pick. I think in the 5th or lower it is a great move to snag him. At worst you have a super mobile scout team QB to make your defense try to contain. 

Cunningham as our primary backup for 2023 would concern me, but I love him as a long term potential QB2 and 2023 scout team guy. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Agreed. I think Hargrave is a guy to really focus on. He's more likely to hit the open market. 

I think both hit the market just purely as a business decision...the Eagles are super deep on the DL...Washington have money and resources tied up on the DL with Allen on a decent sized contract and a guy like Sweat who will have to be paid at some point...plus Young down the line if he gets back to his best as well as using a 2nd round pick on Phidarian Mathis just creates a log jam of talent if you then resign Payne as well.