Josh McDaniels: Your Thoughts

G08

Frustrated Bears fan here already thinking about a new head coach next season... wanted to get your thoughts on Josh McDaniels. I'd love to hear anything/everything you can tell me...

Do you think he's grown as a coach? (his Denver years sound like they were a disaster)

How much of the offense goes through him... is he installing the offense/implementing the game plans or is a lot of that done by Belichick/Brady?

Do you get the impression that he wants full control like Belichick has?

Thanks in advance... I'm expecting ya'll in the Super Bowl again this season, good luck!

I think he would want full control. Why go somewhere unless you knew and trusted the GM.

Did not make the playoffs. Edited for correctness.

The whole offense goes through him but its a byproduct of working for BB I believe. He is given a lot of lee way to think and plan what he wants. He has a smart QB and smart WRs. If Mitch isn't talented enough or the WRs are dumb as rocks the system will need to be toned down and there would be no point in him implementing the Pats system which is predicated on looks and communications at the LOS.

I don't think the question is necessarily has he grown as a coach and more of has he grown as a person. Things fell apart in Denver because he clashed with Cutler and managed the roster like he was playing Madden 07. What he needs is a strong D coordinator and a GM that he likes and works with him well but has full control so he can stop JMAC from torpedoing the roster. His issues with Cutler sent ripples through that locker room and he lost the team because of it. 

I think at this point, he wont leave NE until/unless there is an opening with a team who has a QB he likes. 

He is given a lot of freedom over the offense, and apparently him and Tom have a very good relationship and come up with a lot together. Bill will have oversight/last word, I'd guess, but J-Mac is the nitty-gritty of the offense. 

I heard on comms that he's committed to the Pats, but I have no idea if that's true.

He would have grown as coach, having 7 more years under BB, and he certainly calls a better game than he used to.

He is, for me, an offensive coordinator only though. If he was to become a HC, he'd barely tough the defensive/ST side of things. 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

He is given a lot of freedom over the offense, and apparently him and Tom have a very good relationship and come up with a lot together. Bill will have oversight/last word, I'd guess, but J-Mac is the nitty-gritty of the offense. 

I heard on comms that he's committed to the Pats, but I have no idea if that's true.

He would have grown as coach, having 7 more years under BB, and he certainly calls a better game than he used to.

He is, for me, an offensive coordinator only though. If he was to become a HC, he'd barely tough the defensive/ST side of things. 

That's how I see it... a Sean McVay type/approach.

I'd pair him with a proven DC who knows his way around the NFL.

I've read that he wanted to hire his own GM... not sure he deserves that much power after what happened in Denver.

I wouldn't mind seeing his mind work with a QB like Mitch Trubisky. Tie them together for the next 8-12 years and see what kind of offense they can build together.

4 hours ago, G08 said:

I've read that he wanted to hire his own GM... not sure he deserves that much power after what happened in Denver.

I wouldn't mind seeing his mind work with a QB like Mitch Trubisky. Tie them together for the next 8-12 years and see what kind of offense they can build together.

I think he'd be good for Trubisky, and in some ways, vice versa. The wheels on the roll-outs is something I think JMcD would be able to hone in. It would open up a new compartment to his book, because he doesn't have that with Brady (not by design, anyway). He would need a couple of mismatches though, for me. He's good at scheming matchups - Gronk on a small corner, Lewis on a massive linebacker etc. Cohen is a good one, but I'd like to think he would need an Edelman out wide. What's Tanner like?

He's bounced up and down from the practice squad. Tanner isn't a good route runner at this point and is slower/less proficient at creating separation than the Edelman's of the NFL. 

The Bears are about to overhaul their WR corps so McDaniels could firmly put his stamp on his roster via FA and the draft. 

8 hours ago, G08 said:

He's bounced up and down from the practice squad. Tanner isn't a good route runner at this point and is slower/less proficient at creating separation than the Edelman's of the NFL. 

The Bears are about to overhaul their WR corps so McDaniels could firmly put his stamp on his roster via FA and the draft. 

He definitely needs weapons. He's used to not using a high calibre top 10 receiver type player, but he's always had mismatch type players to work with.

Coming from the NE system he’s a very good game planner who understands how to use / adjust to personnel.  His play calling in games is more questionable but less relevant for a HC.  The biggest issue is probably his ego tbh.  In Denver he thought he was Bill Belichick and could make ridiculous moves and they’d work out.  He isn’t Bill.  It still shows up in some of the crap he pulls in game, but less than it used to.  If he can tone down that part of his personality he could probably be a very good HC.

4 hours ago, mission27 said:

Coming from the NE system he’s a very good game planner who understands how to use / adjust to personnel.  His play calling in games is more questionable but less relevant for a HC.  The biggest issue is probably his ego tbh.  In Denver he thought he was Bill Belichick and could make ridiculous moves and they’d work out.  He isn’t Bill.  It still shows up in some of the crap he pulls in game, but less than it used to.  If he can tone down that part of his personality he could probably be a very good HC.

I think/hope that's where maturity comes into play. 33 years old, youngest HC in NFL History at that time, I'm sure that gets to your head a little bit and you feel that extra chip on your shoulder to prove that you deserve the job/responsibility.

He flamed out pretty miraculously though... I would have to think that would be a slap to the face and hopefully wakes him up to what it takes to truly be a quality HC in the NFL.

Archived