Raiders release G John Simpson

RaidersAreOne

45 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Seems odd to cut him at this point in the season tbh

39 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

The coaches are trying to save there *****. 

5 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

The guy never played rg in a professional game until Thursday?

I said it a couple months ago that McDaniels will throw people under the bus to save his job.  I thought he would try to do it to Carr in the offseason if they could not turn it around.  I am not saying Simpson was a good player but it does not make sense right now unless they believe there is a better player on the practice squad or on the street.  Why do this after playing a guy at a new position for the first time.   

• Like 2

Yall in here saying anything now. Simpson has been a bum and was a bum on thrusday. What don't make sense about the timing? Two lineman are hurt, they need the roster spots and waller and renfrow got to come off ir.  What's the point of keeping Simpson anymore if you can't put him out there. They might have to sign some olineman that either can play or has some potiental to play later on down the line. They might have some guys on practice squad they want on roster now, Season officially over. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

Yall in here saying anything now. Simpson has been a bum and was a bum on thrusday. What don't make sense about the timing? Two lineman are hurt, they need the roster spots and waller and renfrow got to come off ir.  What's the point of keeping Simpson anymore if you can't put him out there. They might have to sign some olineman that either can play or has some potiental to play later on down the line. They might have some guys on practice squad they want on roster now, Season officially over. 

I am not saying we should keep him or he is a good player but if he is not good enough to be on the squad right now they should have known this for a while.  Playing a new position because of injury should not be the deciding factor.  If this is just a roster limitation move then I get it.  Otherwise it is an excuse.  No matter what this is another case  showing the coaches and front office where idiots for not addressing the line in the offseason.

17 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I am not saying we should keep him or he is a good player but if he is not good enough to be on the squad right now they should have known this for a while.  Playing a new position because of injury should not be the deciding factor.  If this is just a roster limitation move then I get it.  Otherwise it is an excuse.  No matter what this is another case  showing the coaches and front office where idiots for not addressing the line in the offseason.

But we literally see this every year. Late season cuts in regime changes. Simpson was on roster as a backup swing guard. He proved he can't do that, they moved on. He might have proved it a while ago, but maybe he was kept cause he knew playbook, cause we still had an outside chance of a run this season and he could do spot duty at LG. Abram was cut to make room. Simpson cut to make room for somebody else who might have potiental.

To your other point, they definitely should had did more to address the oline. But to be fair it's more of a depth issue. The current unit has gel and become a decent unit in both phases. I do think they address the other guard spot and another tackle this offseason. They wasn't going to build a whole new line in one offseason. 

• Like 1

Not saying he was anything special but at least try him at his natural position first.

iirc parham is a natural at rg but no we want him at lg

i thought when bars went down we’d either

a) kolt-simpson-James-parham-elu 

or

b) kolt-parham-James-elu-Mumford 

I tired of playing guys out of position then cutting them but whatever nothing makes sense anyway at least their consistent 

how many rbs do we have on the roster compared to olinemen lol

• Like 1