2023 STEELERS NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS

armsteeld

Yo! It's been a while. Hopefully you've all been living your best life. The Steelers have some seriously good young talent on their team but there are some holes/weaknesses that need to be addressed via the draft. I will share some of the uber-talented players in the 2023 NFL draft. Feel free to comment, share insights, and add more players you feel can be solid players on the team.

CBs

MS ST Emmanuel Forbes (6'0 180) is a ball hawk! Think Marcus Peter's type. Forbes has 14(!) interceptions & 19 (!) pass deflections! My favorite CB, you guys know I love CBs who can play the ball, Forbes only gave up 1 TD this season. He's a monster!

Illinois Devon Witherspoon (6'0 180) is a very physical player. He is a sticky cover CB who hits like a Safety. He is a very explosive and emotional player. Witherspoon is good at getting pass break ups. He will be an immediate contributor from day 1. 2nd favorite CB in this class.

Texas A&M Jaylon Jones (6'2 205) is a big physical in your face type of CB. He doesn't get his hands on many balls but he has excellent feet and is a very good cover CB. No CB in this class has the patience in his backpedal than Jones. He stays in phase and doesn't prematurely open his hips which forces the WR to work extra hard. Jones is also a really good tackler. Think Ike Taylor.

Georgia Kelee Ringo (6'2 205) has immense potential. Think Jalen Ramsey. Has excellent feet and is a laser timed 4.3 in the 40 yard dash. Ringo is a solid tackler and doesn't shy away from contact. He has a bad habit of losing the football on some deep throws that simply boggles my mind. His coverage will be so good that he thinks the QB won't throw the ball so becomes lackadaisical which allows receivers to make easy catches against him. Takes some bad angles to the ball at times. Other than opening his hips too early, this guy has #1 lockdown type skill.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd never seen any of Jaylon Jones. He seems like a really quality player. Hate to say this because I think it's getting a little played out, but he's got that DAWG in him.

Jones is really good. You'll enjoy his games vs Alabama and Arkansas. He will be a solid pro.

1 hour ago, mwalker said:

Cam Smith and J.Porter Jr are top five CBs, maybe top 3.
Smith is versatile and can play slot or outside.
Christian Gonzales from Oregon is also a very good player.

Joey Porter Jr isn't in my Top 10 for CBs in 2023 draft. He struggles backpedaling and redirecting, he opens his hips too quick, which allows receivers a 2 way go, he anticipates and guesses rather than being patient in his coverage, and lastly he struggles in off coverage. Joey Porter Jr is eerily similar to Akhello Witherspoon. I was hyped to watch him but came away so disappointed. Watch him vs Charlie Jones from Purdue.

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Joey Porter Jr isn't in my Top 10 for CBs in 2023 draft. He struggles backpedaling and redirecting, he opens his hips too quick, which allows receivers a 2 way go, he anticipates and guesses rather than being patient in his coverage, and lastly he struggles in off coverage. Joey Porter Jr is eerily similar to Akhello Witherspoon. I was hyped to watch him but came away so disappointed. Watch him vs Charlie Jones from Purdue.

Porter's not my favourite CB in this class either, but he'll still be one the first five to be taken.
I prefer C.Smith, E.Forbes and K.RIngo. And I love B.Branch in as a slot / flex DB.
I also think Antonio Johnson is over rated at S.

• Like 1

I got Gonzales down as my 5th CB.  Makes JPJ look hands off in comparison to me.

I think Johnsons NFL future is at S not CB.  I think he would be an average CB2, but putting him at FS like we did for Minkah can really let him take advantage of his abilities.

I’d go:

Ringo

JPJ

Smith (very close in those last two)

Witherspoon

Forbes

IMO DB’s this year are filled with guys with CB1 potential, but there’s no day one guys like Surtain/Gardner that will come in and be that clean CB1 from day one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Who's your number 1? I plan on watching Gonzales today to see what he's like.

I like the possibilities of Ringo.  He and Gonzales are 1a and 1b for me.  I will have to watch some Forbes. 

I hope you are ready for Porter to be drafted by the Steelers.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I like the possibilities of Ringo.  He and Gonzales are 1a and 1b for me.  I will have to watch some Forbes. 

I hope you are ready for Porter to be drafted by the Steelers.

Would be a huge mistake unless they draft him in the 3rd round.

Steven Gilmore (5'11 170) is a CB who can play Slot or CB. He has excellent ball hawk abilities with 9 interceptions with 31 (!) pass break ups. Gilmore is small but not afraid to throw his body into the fray. He is the younger brother of Stephon Gilmore.