S'all Good Man! 2023 Mock Off-Season

BetterCallSaul

23 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think I'd prioritize, in no particular order:

DT

MLB

FS

After that, I'd look at addressing other "holes" that are a bit more of a luxury. The FS position has cost us literal games this year (Jets, Falcons). The DT and MLB position have caused us (along with the joke scheme) to be the worst rush defense in modern NFL history.

I’d prioritize FS, then MLB then DT.

FS has been a mess and they need someone on the back end to limit the blown coverages and mental mistakes.

MLB/LB in general has been a need for a while and I’m comfortable moving on from Phillips at this point.  He ain’t it.  I’d like to see Takitaki back at mlb, he was solid there and actually has some sand in his pants.

DT can be addressed by scheme and one fat SOB who eats up blockers. 2 down run stuffers are found day 3 every year.

40 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That said, I have no interest in cutting guys for cap reasons.  This is a win now team and JJIII has proven he can play at a high level.  Find a true FS and let JJIII play FS.  Use Delpit as a box player.

The problem is, teams will still find and exploit you regardless of what position you move to.

35 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is a win now team and JJIII has proven he can play at a high level.

mmmm I'm not sure about that. He's been useless since he's been here. He's the main guy that looks disinterested in the game of football on this team right now. He should be better protected with a good defensive schemes but he's essentially dog doo doo at what we're asking him to do.

I think Delpit is just as bad, but he at least plays hard and flashes in both the run and pass game.

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

mmmm I'm not sure about that. He's been useless since he's been here. He's the main guy that looks disinterested in the game of football on this team right now. He should be better protected with a good defensive schemes but he's essentially dog doo doo at what we're asking him to do.

I think Delpit is just as bad, but he at least plays hard and flashes in both the run and pass game.

I’d have a hard time staying interested playing for Joe Woods too.

And Delpit absolutely flashes, but he makes critical errors constantly.  He got baited on the flea flicker on Sunday and whiffed in the open field on the Mixon run.  It’s feast or famine with that dude.  Let him cover TEs and crack pads in the box.  Don’t make him think.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’d prioritize FS, then MLB then DT.

I'd lean FS as #1 as well.

FS has been a mess and they need someone on the back end to limit the blown coverages and mental mistakes.

Just give me Brian Russell back...I mean, come on. Can we not have an even average guy there?

MLB/LB in general has been a need for a while and I’m comfortable moving on from Phillips at this point.  He ain’t it.  I’d like to see Takitaki back at mlb, he was solid there and actually has some sand in his pants.

I'd love to have Taki back too, but I think his 2023 is in major question now with that untimely ACL tear. I think he's a good depth guy and more ideal as a SLB/EDGE hybrid, but can step in and be at least not complete garbage as a Mike.

DT can be addressed by scheme and one fat SOB who eats up blockers. 2 down run stuffers are found day 3 every year.

I think we need more depth all around, including the EDGE spots. We have next to zero ability to move those guys around to generate pressure or line disruption outside of Myles.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'd lean FS as #1 as well.

Just give me Brian Russell back...I mean, come on. Can we not have an even average guy there?

Yeah, p much.  Just a dude who knows where to be, gets the defense set in front of him, keeps things in front of him and make open field tackles.

I'd love to have Taki back too, but I think his 2023 is in major question now with that untimely ACL tear. I think he's a good depth guy and more ideal as a SLB/EDGE hybrid, but can step in and be at least not complete garbage as a Mike.

I won’t argue with anything they want to do here.  I think JOK and Fields are the only guys worth a **** under contract for next season.

I think we need more depth all around, including the EDGE spots. We have next to zero ability to move those guys around to generate pressure or line disruption outside of Myles.

Agreed.  

JOK needs to be playing STAR, not WILL. We don't have to freak out and put 5 DB's out there all the time. JOK can more than hold his own as a space player. We drafted him to be the perfect answer to spread offenses. He can play NCB and LB both effectively, yet, we reduce him to covering backs out of the backfield or spot dropping on the weak side. Put him to the multiple WR side and let him work out there. He is not a WLB in a base defense. In obvious passing downs, sure. Move him to MIKE or WILL and add a DB in there. But as a base, it drives me nuts that he's supposed to be the thumping LB. We're wasting what he does best.

My Personal LB Philosophy:

WILL: Fields (Scraper who has oomph in his pads. Not a great space player, but not useless there either. Solid run & scrape LBer)

MIKE: Jones (Has the speed to track things down and has good instincts. Struggles to tackle, but at least he's in the right spots most of the time)

STAR: JOK (One of the best athletes at LB in the entire league. Playing him strong side allows him to make way more plays in the run & pass game. Best D players to the formation force teams to go weak or trade/motion across)

Also, why don't we tell our LB's to jam anyone if we're a zone team? Either our LB's are terrible at it or Joe Woods doesn't seem to think it's important to slow down slot receivers who are running at our unathletic safeties unimpeded.

• Like 3

Just now, BetterCallSaul said:

JOK needs to be playing STAR, not WILL. We don't have to freak out and put 5 DB's out there all the time. JOK can more than hold his own as a space player. We drafted him to be the perfect answer to spread offenses. He can play NCB and LB both effectively, yet, we reduce him to covering backs out of the backfield or spot dropping on the weak side. Put him to the multiple WR side and let him work out there. He is not a WLB in a base defense. In obvious passing downs, sure. Move him to MIKE or WILL and add a DB in there. But as a base, it drives me nuts that he's supposed to be the thumping LB. We're wasting what he does best.

WILL: Fields (Scraper who has oomph in his pads. Not a great space player, but not useless there either. Solid run & scrape LBer)

MIKE: Jones (Has the speed to track things down and has good instincts. Struggles to tackle, but at least he's in the right spots most of the time)

STAR: JOK (One of the best athletes at LB in the entire league. Playing him strong side allows him to make way more plays in the run & pass game. Best D players to the formation force teams to go weak or trade/motion across)

Because Woods is a corner/S guy and not a linebacker one, which shows how unsound we are in the Front 7. We drafted a Star and use him at SAM or Will. It's embarrassing.

Just now, BetterCallSaul said:

Also, why don't we tell our LB's to jam anyone if we're a zone team? Either our LB's are terrible at it or Joe Woods doesn't seem to think it's important to slow down slot receivers who are running at our unathletic safeties unimpeded.

Since we run so much Cover 3, we essentially make no concerted effort philosophically to reroute any slot in any way/shape or form, just like we don't ever line anyone other than Clowney up in a 7/JAM technique on a TE.

The presnap 10-15 yard slant and window from the slot is there ALL DAY. (See: Garrett Wilson, Jets game final TD and more).

• Like 2

I see we have an eye on some of the same prospects.....

I am working on my offseason.....and I do feel we need a true FS.....I also feel we need some DT's extremely badly.....

3rd Round pick: Siaki Ika, NT/DT, Baylor
Height: 6-3. Weight: 350

5th Round pick: Mazi Smith, NT, Michigan
Height: 6-3. Weight: 326

More to info on the way.....

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

JOK isn’t even on the field on 3rd downs lol.  Or at least he wasn’t most of the time on Sunday.  I watched him run to the sidelines repeatedly on 3rd downs and was absolutely flabbergasted by the stupidity of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

JOK isn’t even on the field on 3rd downs lol.  Or at least he wasn’t most of the time on Sunday.  I watched him run to the sidelines repeatedly on 3rd downs and was absolutely flabbergasted by the stupidity of it.

"We needed to have Ronnie Harrison in the game"

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Since we run so much Cover 3, we essentially make no concerted effort philosophically to reroute any slot in any way/shape or form, just like we don't ever line anyone other than Clowney up in a 7/JAM technique on a TE.

we line both our ends up out wide af and and expect them to crash down and be ******* superheroes in the run game.  We pair this with middling linebackers and DTs and teams have a notable numbers advantage inside.

Either the ends squeeze down perfectly or we’ve got huge gaps.  I like wide alignments on obvious passing downs, but Jesus Christ we make it easy to run against us.