Week 15: San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks

J-ALL-DAY

Most picked the Niners to beat the Bucs, but I don't think anyone could have imagined it being by THAT wide of an margin. Great performance on both sides of the ball. Now on to Seattle........

It is pretty simple, win and not only do we clinch the divisional title, but we also clinch a top 3 seed. That will guarantee us one home game at the very least and take us out of the Cowboys/Eagles bracket until the NFCCG. We had a three game homestand and handled business properly to put us in this position.

Offensively, it's going to be difficult for Purdy to communicate with the loud crowd noise so I think Shanny will lean heavily on the run game to take pressure off of him. It was the opposite against the Bucs as we started out pass heavy before turning to the run game. I suspect it will be the opposite on Thursday night and it makes a lot of sense. Obviously we will be without Deebo for likely the rest of the regular season and that will change our game plan but we still have more than enough to get it done. I do not want to give CMC over 20 touches a game so I hope Shanny gives Mason his fair share of touches and I hope Kittle starts to get more targets. He can end up turning some of those screen passes for big gainers. Aiyuk is going to get some opportunities down the field but I don't expect his target share to be all that great. Maybe the Deebo injury helps in that regard. The Seahawks have been getting gashed as of late on the ground and that will need to continue for us to win this game.

Defensively, it won't be easy to shut this offense down. Sure we did it once, but they are explosive and Geno is continuing to put up good numbers. He had thrown four of his eight INTs in the last three games and we have been creating a bunch of turnovers so hopefully that continues. For the defense to create six turnovers in the last two games, ALL in the 2nd half is super impressive. You can get some stuff on this defense in the first half but in the 2nd half they lock in and become a turnover machine. I think we see C. Ward get his second INT of the season this game! Bosa was shutout in the sack department yesterday but I don't see that continuing this week. I see two sacks for him and overall the pass rush to get back to form. Something to watch is Drake Jackson getting more and more pressure as of late. He is due to having a breakout game. I think Ward will be on Metcalf's side for much of the game and that should be a fun match up, especially on the down field targets. 

Purdy is going to find it a bit tough at times and the Seahawks may force a turnover or two, but this team is rolling right now so I expect them to figure it out and get it done.

SF 30

SEA 20 

• Like 1

Seahawks have been struggling lately, but we're banged up, on a short week and in one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL for a rivalry game

I think its a close win, 23-13 type game, but then again I thought the Bucs game would be a close win too. 

With Deebo out, Mason needs more touches, Kittle needs more targets

Edited by 49ersfan

The Seahawk's defense is one of the worst in the league, specifically their run defense. Their pass defense is around league average, but on the south side of that mark. Their one redeeming quality on defense is they generate INT's as well as any team in the league. 

I can see a heavy dose of CMC, Mason, and Coleman on Thursday with some Purdy roll outs and lots of play action. Our offense has the advantage, here, even with Deebo out. 

Geno's shine has been wearing off recently and he's been turning the ball over more often. I think if we can shut the run game down and force Geno to throw it 40+ times, we'll get a turnover or two. 

Of course, all of this depends on the injury report for the slew of DT and CB we lost yesterday. 

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 2

Updated DVOA rankings:

Team - 3rd

Offense - 10th

Defense - 2nd

I think we all expected the defense to be dominant so that's not necessarily a surprise. Only surprise is how well they have played despite some of the injuries they had to endure. 

Offensively, this unit is playing better than their ranking but they had some rough moments throughout the season so it seems about right. Should finish the season in the top 7-8 though. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Updated DVOA rankings:

Team - 3rd

Offense - 10th

Defense - 2nd

I think we all expected the defense to be dominant so that's not necessarily a surprise. Only surprise is how well they have played despite some of the injuries they had to endure. 

Offensively, this unit is playing better than their ranking but they had some rough moments throughout the season so it seems about right. Should finish the season in the top 7-8 though. 

Amazing, if I understand this right, we have a top 10 offense & top 2 defense? I don't really understand what DVOA means.

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

It was pretty much to use him for the stretch run and hope he can be healthy enough for the playoffs. They know he is not reliable for a long stretch so they wanted him for the final month or so and I think it was the right decision. Now we are facing some injuries to other interior DL and will need him to give us something very soon. 

Just get past this week with a win and no big injuries and we will be in a great position. 

• Like 3

It is going to be so weird if we win this game and we seriously have nothing super crazy important to play over for 3 weeks. Win this week and we are ostensibly locked in as the 2 or 3 seed. Obviously I'd prefer to the 2 seed, but it's honestly not that big of a deal.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

It is going to be so weird if we win this game and we seriously have nothing super crazy important to play over for 3 weeks. Win this week and we are ostensibly locked in as the 2 or 3 seed. Obviously I'd prefer to the 2 seed, but it's honestly not that big of a deal.

Will relieve some stress though knowing we have very little to play for lol. I'd argue it is pretty big having two home games opposed to only one but it's not a killer if we end up with the 3rd seed. Will also allow us to rest some starters until the playoffs. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Will relieve some stress though knowing we have very little to play for lol. I'd argue it is pretty big having two home games opposed to only one but it's not a killer if we end up with the 3rd seed. Will also allow us to rest some starters until the playoffs. 

Not really worried about it. Wouldn't shock me if Minnesota lost the wildcard round and putting Brock in a dome is fine.  Also, there's a non zero chance that the #2 seed could end up with the harder matchup in the first round (I would say Detroit and Seattle are both tougher matchups than the Giants and Washington) 

Seattle is a bit of a mirage imo. I think i tis a team that plays for its coach and plays with a ton of enthusiasm. That is always dangerous. However, it lacks talent defensively and on the O line. If Walker is healthy that matchup is interesting. This game screams physicality. I would expect Purdy to play through the oblique. I would expect Kyle to limit his deep throws. If you look back to the Philly and GB game Rodgers left with an oblique issue. It really hindered him right after that drive where he was hurt, but he did play the following week. Granted this is a shorter week. Considering it didn't hinder him in game as long as it didn't regress overnight he should be fine. I still see a ton of carries and short passing game being the medicine for this week. Move the ball on 3rd down and let the defense carry you. I don't see the Seahawks being able to sustain drives enough to score. I also see a potential Defensive TD on the horizon. 

23-6

• Like 1