Week 15: San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks

J-ALL-DAY

10 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't think that they can trade him. Just had this conversation with @adamq too. Agree with you there. I think if a team like Indy came calling with the #11 pick, they'd listen, but I think it has to be a pretty big overpay to get SF to move him. Otherwise you have a very cheap QB room locked up. No reason to make a permanent decision already just because

If Purdy continues to excel, I would say it would have to be a first round plus situation.  Pick 11 is close, but it still wouldn't move the needle for me personally.

There is a dark horse trade partner for Lance, The mystery team that hired Demeco Ryans.  Ryans knows lance, and could build an offense with players that suit his downfield throwing style, and he would be spending his first, first round pick on a franchise QB.  It could be a trade that works for everyone involved, like the CMC deal.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's probably not going to make the Pro Bowl, but like how does Ward NOT make it?? Dude has been so good all season and has been following #1 WRs as of late and doing a very well job. You put him up against someone physical and he will more than hold his own. Guys like Hopkins, if he plays off coverage will be a little difficult for him. He needs to be in press man when he is in single coverage. 

Corners do their best work off the screen

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

I can't imagine this team without him, honestly. His toughness, his attitude, his sure handedness on 3rd downs, he's just a perfect compliment to the rest of the skill guys. 

Absolutely agree and yet, I think we should be able to replace him fairly well. Bourne probably wasn't quite as tough and good after the catch, but he was money on 3rd downs as well. Remember a lot of people didn't want to let him go but then - it took a year - we found Jennings.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

Absolutely agree and yet, I think we should be able to replace him fairly well. Bourne probably wasn't quite as tough and good after the catch, but he was money on 3rd downs as well. Remember a lot of people didn't want to let him go but then - it took a year - we found Jennings.

This. Those type of WRs can be found in every draft if you look close enough. I like Jennings as much as the next guy but I wouldn't lose any sleep letting him walk. CFB is littered with those types. Just have to really dissect their character traits and work ethic. That's what makes guys like Jennings latch on and cement themselves to a roster as low round picks/UDFAs. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

LMAOOOOOOO. Homeslice don't care about "tough questions". 

Imagine Arik hating your arse. Isn't he our candidate for Walter Payton Man of the Year? 

Only makes Arik look bad. It was a softball question about his teammate and how Arik felt  about Hyder's play. Arik chose to not answer, his prerogative ultimately, but he looks dumb for the lack of response. Grant unfortunately wasn't wrong when he said the Niners chose to keep the wrong guy.

8 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Only makes Arik look bad. It was a softball question about his teammate and how Arik felt  about Hyder's play. Arik chose to not answer, his prerogative ultimately, but he looks dumb for the lack of response. Grant unfortunately wasn't wrong when he said the Niners chose to keep the wrong guy.

Arik has done the same in previous pressers to Grant's questions. It's fine.

But this isn't about choosing the wrong guy. It's not an apples to apples comparison. Armstead was a FA and was not going to get the team any draft compensation. Trading away Buckner got the team a top 15 pick. Ultimately, the pick did not or has not worked out but the thought process was fine. The defense is every bit as dominant as it was in 2019 and keeping Armstead over Buckner was one factor in being able to keep Jimmie Ward...And Ward has proven to be a stud FS, one of the best in the game and now is doing fine in the nickel. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

This. Those type of WRs can be found in every draft if you look close enough. I like Jennings as much as the next guy but I wouldn't lose any sleep letting him walk. CFB is littered with those types. Just have to really dissect their character traits and work ethic. That's what makes guys like Jennings latch on and cement themselves to a roster as low round picks/UDFAs. 

It sucks to say, but ultimately, this is probably right. Based on his production, you can't give Jennings real money. He's good for moments more so than a broader cut of production. He's going to finish with about 400 yards this year most likely. I'd be willing to give him some money to keep him around, but if you're Jennings, why take small money to stay here and be the #5 option when you can take small money elsewhere and maybe get a run at being a #2 or #3? It makes no sense to pay him the amount of money it may require just to keep him around and bypass other options available to him and it makes no sense for him to take a deal that is more commiserate with his production if he's just going to stay low man on the totem pole. 

You have Jennings for one more year. Bring in someone like Frank Ladson as a UDFA, let him cook on the practice squad for a year while Jennings is in his last year. If you want to shoot a little higher, there's no way that Kyle won't be high on Jonathan Mingo and he'd be an excellent replacement if you can develop him just a bit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

It sucks to say, but ultimately, this is probably right. Based on his production, you can't give Jennings real money. He's good for moments more so than a broader cut of production. He's going to finish with about 400 yards this year most likely. I'd be willing to give him some money to keep him around, but if you're Jennings, why take small money to stay here and be the #5 option when you can take small money elsewhere and maybe get a run at being a #2 or #3? It makes no sense to pay him the amount of money it may require just to keep him around and bypass other options available to him and it makes no sense for him to take a deal that is more commiserate with his production if he's just going to stay low man on the totem pole. 

You have Jennings for one more year. Bring in someone like Frank Ladson as a UDFA, let him cook on the practice squad for a year while Jennings is in his last year. If you want to shoot a little higher, there's no way that Kyle won't be high on Jonathan Mingo and he'd be an excellent replacement if you can develop him just a bit. 

We have Jennings for another year? That's great! for some reason I thought he was done at the end of this year.  It's a Christmas miracle!!

5 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

We have Jennings for another year? That's great! for some reason I thought he was done at the end of this year.  It's a Christmas miracle!!

He's an rfa, I'm pretty sure. I'm assuming we slap a tender on him and call it a day

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Do you know what is the highest tender is?  My guess is 2nd round around 2 Mil, but I am just pulling that from thin air.

First round tender will be about 5.5, 2nd round will be about 4, right of first refusal will be about 2.5 

• Like 1

A 1st round tender keeps him here another year, a 2nd round tender probably does the same thing.  I think the team would take the pick if given the option.  With the receiver class, Jennings might be the best value on the board for a team around 50 or 60, who knows.  The right of refusal would give us a really good idea of the type of market that exists out there for him.

I think with all the ex coaches out there, somebody wants him to fill a #2 or #3 spot.  The Jets come to mind, or the place where Ryans ends up.  TBH, the 49ers have a half of a team lying around for Demeco if he can get enough cap space at his next stop.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

One thing to take into consideration is Purdy's air yards is 6.1. We need to let this play out some and while he has exceeded all expectations, there is no need to even think about him being the future or being better than Jimmy G. 

You stole my thunder a bit. I was going to mention this in the Lance development thread in a post I'm writing

• Like 3