Week 15: San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks

J-ALL-DAY

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm pretty sure this isn't accurate either lol. 

I saw this right when it happened and was calling for Kyle to challenge it. The Bucs ended up missing a 55 yard FG so it worked out for us but it could have potentially cost us three points. 

Not challenging it was the right call given the kicker and how close the call was. Even now, I still don't know if that gets called a sack or not. 

I've never heard the interpretation that rich is using, but I could actually see the NFL supporting that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Not challenging it was the right call given the kicker and how close the call was. Even now, I still don't know if that gets called a sack or not. 

I've never heard the interpretation that rich is using, but I could actually see the NFL supporting that. 

An incomplete pass knocks them out of field goal range just as much as a sack. Only person who didn't know this was Todd Bowles.  

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm pretty damn sure he is wrong. If the ball is in the QBs hands still, then it is a sack.

That was a clear view there showing his knee was on the ground with the ball in his fingertips. That would have been overturned.

But again, I am not TOO bad at Shanny as it did force the Bucs into taking a 55 yard FG instead of punting it away as they would have had that play been called a sack.

We had no real practices against the Saints and the offense was off and quite frankly bad for much of the game. We aren't getting any practices in this week either so it will be interesting to see how that unit plays. I'm guessing with Purdy's injury, Shanny will be ultra conservative and just try to run it down the Seahawks throats all game long. 

Deebo to be out about 3 weeks. Could be back for the Raiders game but for sure will be back for the Cardinals game. 

7 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Example 2012010121211 on why Lombardi is the worst:

Clearly Brady was just having fun and laughing when he said that...But Lombardi being Lombardi will always leave out the context lol.

@J-ALL-DAYI love your enthusiasm boss, but you're starting to come off like a jealous ex with the daily bombardment of Lombardi tweets. Just sayin. 

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

@J-ALL-DAYI love your enthusiasm boss, but you're starting to come off like a jealous ex with the daily bombardment of Lombardi tweets. Just sayin. 

Nope, you are just saying that because you like Lombardi because of his love for Jimmy 😜.

He's terrible and deserves to get exposed on a daily basis. Grant Cohn got this for years and he has proven to be FARRRR better than Lombardi. 

• Like 1

According to our chums at Pro Football Outsiders, the 49ers now have the top spot in weighted DVOA.

The more interesting move this week, however, might be the San Francisco 49ers moving into the top spot in weighted DVOA. The 49ers have had their three best performances of the year over the last four weeks, including two of the top five games of the year by DVOA.

There are two bad games that stand out from the 49ers' season. First, the Week 1 loss to Chicago, because it took place in terrible weather conditions and was the only game where the majority of offense was led by Trey Lance. Second, the Week 7 loss to Kansas City, which was very bad even after adjusting for how good the Kansas City offense is overall. Take out Week 1, and the 49ers rank second with 31.9% average DVOA in games since Week 2. Take out Week 7 as well, and the 49ers would be the best team in the league.

As those two games move further into the past, the 49ers rise in weighted DVOA until the point where they have now reached No. 1.

The 49ers' defense, now acclaimed as the best in the league this season, still ranks No. 2 on the year in DVOA behind Dallas but is No. 1 in weighted defensive DVOA. The San Francisco offense is 10th on the year but sixth in weighted DVOA. The offense, of course, is particularly interesting now that the 49ers will have to start seventh-round rookie Brock Purdy. Purdy had an excellent game in his first start against Tampa Bay. That does not mean that Purdy is as good as Jimmy Garoppolo or that the 49ers are going to the Super Bowl. Plenty of rookies had one very good game, often in their first start, only to see their performance settle back to match expectations in future games. Kyle Allen, for example, threw for 228 yards and two touchdowns and ran for another score back in his first start in 2018. Allen then doubled down with four passing touchdowns in his first start of 2019. Neither of these games, it turns out, was the harbinger for the Kyle Allen Era. Then again, Kyle Allen did not have Kyle Shanahan to run his offense.

The 49ers, of course, have the largest gap between their total DVOA and weighted DVOA for 2022. Other teams that have improved over the course of the season include the Washington Commanders, Cincinnati Bengals, and Detroit Lions. The Lions this week broke into the top 10 for weighted DVOA although our playoff odds simulation still has them making the postseason only 21% of the time.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-analysis/2022/hottest-team-nfl-san-francisco-49ers

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nope, you are just saying that because you like Lombardi because of his love for Jimmy 😜.

He's terrible and deserves to get exposed on a daily basis. Grant Cohn got this for years and he has proven to be FARRRR better than Lombardi. 

Hee hee haw, we actually have a witness in @Forgewho can attest that even I think Lombardi gets a little over-zealous with his love for Jimmy. 

Anyway, good luck on your crusade mate. Praying for you dawg lol. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Agreed and Grant tried to tell everyone about Lombardi, lol. 

Nah, Grant is still the worst, and I don't think it's even debatable. Lombardi to his credit never got in a pathetic online internet squabble with one of the players. Also didn't have multiple 49ers players call out his head nationally as to what a menace he is, like they did with Grant. You can tell in his pressers that Shanahan loathes answering questions by Grant sometimes. As over-zealous or biased as Lombardi might be with his positivity, he still has enough integrity to not act like a dirtbag to the players or talk **** about them. Lombardi not knowing what's his talking about with data or X's and O's is still better than Grant even attempting to act like some sort of professional journalist. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Agreed and Grant tried to tell everyone about Lombardi, lol. 

Yeah, actually Kyle Posey is the one that was first really exposing how Lombardi didn't know what he was looking at and how he would present things without context. Lombardi also tries intentionally mislead folks by how he presents certain things. 

4 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Nah, Grant is still the worst, and I don't think it's even debatable. Lombardi to his credit never got in a pathetic online internet squabble with one of the players. Also didn't have multiple 49ers players call out his head nationally as to what a menace he is, like they did with Grant. You can tell in his pressers that Shanahan loathes answering questions by Grant sometimes. As over-zealous or biased as Lombardi might be with his positivity, he still has enough integrity to not act like a dirtbag to the players or talk **** about them. Lombardi not knowing what's his talking about with data or X's and O's is still better than Grant even attempting to act like some sort of professional journalist. 

Maybe not, but Grant wasn't wrong about Kinlaw and many others. He is out there and takes it too far at times but overall he actually criticizes the team unlike Lombardi who acts like everything is peaches and cream. 

25 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Lombardi to his credit never got in a pathetic online internet squabble with one of the players

In fairness, that was more of a Kinlaw thing than a Grant thing imo. Not a great look for Grant, of course, but I think Grant was 100% right for the most part and Kinlaw just couldn't take it. You could argue that Grant doesn't need to continue to dig the needle in over and over, but I am not really going to hate on him for too much there. I think for as long as he continues to suck and be unable to stay healthy, the criticism is warranted. Hell, Grant hasn't been any worse than me with regards to what he's said about Kinlaw. 

The thing is that Grant just takes what could be completely valid criticism to absurd levels and focuses entirely on the negative almost all of the time it seems like. He knows that negative engagement gets the most engagement. He's in it far more for the clicks than Lombardi is given that Cohn is just kind of his thing and Lombardi is backed by the Athletic. 

I will say that at least Lombardi provides useful data without negative connotation. Grant provides data but it's usually to cast someone or the team in a disparaging light. 

25 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

You can tell in his pressers that Shanahan loathes answering questions by Grant sometimes

I'm not even sure that there is a sometimes there lol. 

I'm not sure that Grant provides too much useful content outside of being a contrarian voice to the 49er media. I like his observations during camp, but even those can be tainted by pretty clear bias. I wish that he could reign it in...if he could, I think he'd actually be a worthwhile addition to that 49er beat writer camp. He does want to tackle things that none of the other beat writers want to go anywhere near when questioning shanny...though he tries to hard to be that guy with the tough questions (sometimes they are just bad questions as a result) 

• Like 2