Week 15: San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks

J-ALL-DAY

32 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Sidenote: Losing a game by 1 point, and losing by 100 points are the same to you? Interesting...

There is data out there that says one score games are essentially coin flips. 

It is why no one takes Minnesota seriously. It is why no one took the steelers seriously in 2020. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

There is data out there that says one score games are essentially coin flips. 

It is why no one takes Minnesota seriously. It is why no one took the steelers seriously in 2020. 

Yeah I know. A lot of teams can ride those close scores to "good" seasons or "bad" seasons. Team is probably just average at worst then. But getting blown out in enough games by huge scores...well that just means you're bad.

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Grant Cohn is a major dou che bag who stirs up drama for clicks. He is basically the Alex Jones of 49ers beat reporting. He acts like he is the best at covering the team because he is the "only one asking tough questions". GTFO with that nonsense. Dude is a punk. The whole team and coaching staff hate him, and he preys on the casual fans who think the only way they can learn about the inner workings of the team is through him. For this reason, our fanbase is worse off for having him cover the team. 

Except Ward loves him, Jennings loves him, Staley loved him and there is more. You compare him to Alex Jones like he is a conspiracy theorist and he states false information. He doesn't have to stir anything up considering what he has built. You couldn't even comment about the guy without a radical reaction. Seems like he is doing fine considering people have a reaction one way or another.

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

He can't even play the "ask tough questions" reporter well with a sense of professionalism or integrity, which yes is possible in not only sports journalism, but journalism itself. Heck even Brian Murphy can do that on KNBR, and not come off like a jerk. 

Having your aura be 90% negative is the easiest way to sound like the smartest guy in the room, or in this instance come off as a "but he asks tough questions doe!!!" reporter. Doesn't mean you're insightful and/or don't have an agenda that annoys the people you're profiling which I hate to see as a consumer constantly. The way some people describe Grant is like he's some unshackled rendition of Woodward or Bernstein because "asks tough questions doe" logic. As a spectator I don't need to see players feel "uncomfortable" from a sports reporter are you kidding me? That sounds like the worst justification for being a goon. They don't owe me or anyone else of the peanut gallery anything, and deciding to cooperate amicably with any media member is a privilege, not a right. They're pro athletes, not politicians with a campaign that needs to get off the ground. 

They don't owe us as fans anything. However, they absolutely have to hold up their end of the bargain when it comes to dealing with the media. The media drives a ton of their reach to the masses. The media controls a lot of how you are perceived. There isn't an owner out there paying these guys that would state they don't care if their players/employees handle themselves a specific way when addressing the media. Why do you think they pulled Grant in with Javon after Javon blew up? Pro athletes are a brand. Either for themselves, the organization they play for, their sponsors or all at the same time. If they go out there and don't play the game it doesn't benefit the brand in any way. So let's not act like they have an obligation to show up and give an honest effort on the field and that is it. 

The other part is that a good member of the media doesn't give a damn how the athlete responds. If they are good they don't stop asking because the athlete gets annoyed or the team gets annoyed. If the team and the players despised Grant the way people think they do why didn't they pull his credentials? They understand he is doing his job and that pulling the credentials is a terrible look. They can continue to give the same generic hyperbole and he can continue to ask. It's the sport of it thats entertaining to watch.

6 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

They don't owe us as fans anything. However, they absolutely have to hold up their end of the bargain when it comes to dealing with the media. The media drives a ton of their reach to the masses. The media controls a lot of how you are perceived. There isn't an owner out there paying these guys that would state they don't care if their players/employees handle themselves a specific way when addressing the media. Why do you think they pulled Grant in with Javon after Javon blew up? Pro athletes are a brand. Either for themselves, the organization they play for, their sponsors or all at the same time. If they go out there and don't play the game it doesn't benefit the brand in any way. So let's not act like they have an obligation to show up and give an honest effort on the field and that is it. 

The other part is that a good member of the media doesn't give a damn how the athlete responds. If they are good they don't stop asking because the athlete gets annoyed or the team gets annoyed. If the team and the players despised Grant the way people think they do why didn't they pull his credentials? They understand he is doing his job and that pulling the credentials is a terrible look. They can continue to give the same generic hyperbole and he can continue to ask. It's the sport of it thats entertaining to watch.

Errrmm...I might agree with you on that to a point, but at the same time athletes are contractually obligated to be "available" to media personnel, they aren't contractually obligated to be engaging or insightful in their responses to the media like a puppet on a string. And any media member that has that mindset to me is walking a thin line between privilege and entitlement. Gary Zimmerman literally went half his career of not saying anything to a media member after a particular fallout, so he maintained radio silence with everyone else, and in-turn the entire Denver offensive line of the late 90's and early 2000's followed suit. Marshawn Lynch was the same way for many years, and if anything his willingness not to engage actually helped his profile. Bill B as a coach has been stone cold for 20 years, and it hasn't hurt him. And now more than ever, athletes can drive their own brand through endorsements or their own platform though social media. That's where their extra bag comes from if they blow up, not mucking it up with local reporters. Just like you say a member of the media doesn't have to give a damn how an athlete responds, the athlete can have the same attitude, and aren't obligated to acquiesce to a hooligan with an agenda. There are way more cordial and professional members out there in 49ers media compared to Grant, and if any of the squad decides to shun him, well, I'll go out on a limb and say it's not going to nuke their career. Players can despise Grant, him having his credentials pulled isn't up to them. And he doesn't have to have his credentials pulled to not be perceived as a **** stain by a contingent of the squad. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly, he's built up the biggest YouTube following from the rest of the beat writers so I don't think he needs to do anything for clicks at this point lol. 

And this proves how much stupidity, negativity and drama attract "likes". I have never, ever understood that. Hate that so much. 

If you spent much time teaching teenagers, you too might not find Grant Cohn so interesting... 

Edited by Chrissooner49er
  • Like 3

Don't know if anyone saw the trilogy of breakdowns on Purdy by J.T. O'Sullivan on the QB school channel over the last couple of years, but I found them pretty insightful. Highlights a lot of things he did well in college, and a few not-so-well. His lack of arm power is a little disconcerting, put maybe with Shanahan and the rest of the coaches' help his processing with make up for it. Hopefully the 49ers can stumble into Chad Pennington Jr. We'll see. 

30 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Don't know if anyone saw the trilogy of breakdowns on Purdy by J.T. O'Sullivan on the QB school channel over the last couple of years, but I found them pretty insightful. Highlights a lot of things he did well in college, and a few not-so-well. His lack of arm power is a little disconcerting, put maybe with Shanahan and the rest of the coaches' help his processing with make up for it. Hopefully the 49ers can stumble into Chad Pennington Jr. We'll see. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/12/09/how-brock-purdy-was-built-from-undraftable-to-49ers-starter-daily-cover

Still doesn't have a rocket arm, but this article highlights how he worked with some really knowledgeable people to remake his throwing motion, base, follow through, and his body to generate more velocity. I couldn't find it, but I read somewhere that he increased his velo by 5 mph, which was considered pretty insane. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/12/09/how-brock-purdy-was-built-from-undraftable-to-49ers-starter-daily-cover

Still doesn't have a rocket arm, but this article highlights how he worked with some really knowledgeable people to remake his throwing motion, base, follow through, and his body to generate more velocity. I couldn't find it, but I read somewhere that he increased his velo by 5 mph, which was considered pretty insane. 

Yeah, he definitely had a noodle in college. I wouldn't say that he has a strong arm now, but it does appear closer to the average range - he's been able to cash some of the checks his brain has been writing with off platform throws during scrambles or under duress. Mullens, who had a true noodle, just couldn't make things happen without a base. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yeah I know. A lot of teams can ride those close scores to "good" seasons or "bad" seasons. Team is probably just average at worst then. But getting blown out in enough games by huge scores...well that just means you're bad.

I feel like the difference between a blowout and a close loss is the game changing plays in a blow out usually happen in the 1st quarter, and the game changing plays in a close game happen in the 4th quarter.

The team did not get consistently blown out anyway.  The team got behind early, and lacks the ability to come from behind, at least they did with Jimmy G at the helm.   It happens.  

So if close games are coin flips (not your words, a different dude said it) and most playoff games are coin flips, then is the NFL not then mostly random, and not a skill involved sport?