Top 10 CBs?

Elusive_Tiger

15 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

I don't see how Lattimore can be ahead of Rhodes. Rhodes has been as good as any corner in the NFL. And unlike Lattimore, he's been doing it for multiple years and has proven that he can stay healthy all year. 

Because the only knock you can have against Lattimore is health and that he's a rookie. But in terms of this year, nobody has been better...

A clear top 5 exists IMO. Rhodes, Smith, Lattimore, Ramsey, and Hayward. 

22 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Because the only knock you can have against Lattimore is health and that he's a rookie. But in terms of this year, nobody has been better...

A clear top 5 exists IMO. Rhodes, Smith, Lattimore, Ramsey, and Hayward. 

Who has Lattimore shut down this season that's been so impressive?  The Saints haven't really played against a team with a great WR yet.  Tell me the players Lattimore has faced where he has been so great.

3 minutes ago, showtime said:

Who has Lattimore shut down this season that's been so impressive?  The Saints haven't really played against a team with a great WR yet.  Tell me the players Lattimore has faced where he has been so great.

Well apparently since I was mistaken on him changing sides of the field, I guess it determines on the opponents and their WRs, we'll get a chance to see that this weekend.  Oh and whoever he was covering during the Minnesota game.

Just now, Raves said:

Well apparently since I was mistaken on him changing sides of the field, I guess it determines on the opponents and their WRs, we'll get a chance to see that this weekend.  Oh and whoever he was covering during the Minnesota game.

Mistaken?  Does he switch sides of the field or only play one side? 

Just now, showtime said:

Mistaken?  Does he switch sides of the field or only play one side? 

I thought he stuck to one side off of 2-3 games I paid specific attention to, though none of those teams had dominant WRs so Crawley was more than capable of handling the "#1 WR" while Lattimore shutdown the other.  I was shown some evidence from another Saints poster of games where he more or less shadowed WRs or would swap sides to get favorable match-ups.  Players like Cooks for example.  On plays where Cooks and those that he had been shadowing weren't covered by Lattimore they were able to gain yards, but under Lattimore's watch they were all limited.  So my expectation for the Atlanta game is if he's healthy he'll be shadowing Julio Jones more often than not, but also dont' be surprised if they decide to let Lattimore just shutdown Sanu and have Crawley + Safety attempt to cover Julio as well.

Just now, Raves said:

I thought he stuck to one side off of 2-3 games I paid specific attention to, though none of those teams had dominant WRs so Crawley was more than capable of handling the "#1 WR" while Lattimore shutdown the other.  I was shown some evidence from another Saints poster of games where he more or less shadowed WRs or would swap sides to get favorable match-ups.  Players like Cooks for example.  On plays where Cooks and those that he had been shadowing weren't covered by Lattimore they were able to gain yards, but under Lattimore's watch they were all limited.  So my expectation for the Atlanta game is if he's healthy he'll be shadowing Julio Jones more often than not, but also dont' be surprised if they decide to let Lattimore just shutdown Sanu and have Crawley + Safety attempt to cover Julio as well.

But when Patrick Peterson plays against Julio Jones, he covers him no matter where he goes.  How are you labeled as a 'shutdown cb' when you don't even shadow the teams #1 WR?  That was just a question, we'll see what happens when they play the Falcons.

Just now, showtime said:

But when Patrick Peterson plays against Julio Jones, he covers him no matter where he goes.  How are you labeled as a 'shutdown cb' when you don't even shadow the teams #1 WR?  That was just a question, we'll see what happens when they play the Falcons.

Not every defense plays the same.  Also Sanu is a great receiving threat as well and just as necessary to be taken away.  Also a shutdown corner means they don't give up yards to a WR whether it's through deflecting passes their way, limited the yards gained after a catch, or through such suffocating coverage the WR doesn't get targeted period.  Also each defense and their personnel are different.  For example the Saints might decide that their best course of action is to have Lattimore just straight up remove Sanu from the game and let Crawley and a safety do work on Julio Jones if they don't think Crawley could handle Sanu by himself to begin with.  In this instance if Crawley was going to require help regardless the best option is to have Lattimore shutdown Sanu by himself and then let Crawley and a safety take out Julio since the help would be extended anyways.  All defenses have to make these decisions, it's especially evident with the Saints who have horrible depth behind Crawley and Lattimore and could use a good Nickel/Dime CB so that Vaccarro, who has been good on the slot WR though, doesn't have to play CB in certain packages.

23 hours ago, BAConrad said:

I don't see how Lattimore can be ahead of Rhodes. Rhodes has been as good as any corner in the NFL. And unlike Lattimore, he's been doing it for multiple years and has proven that he can stay healthy all year. 

Agreed.  Rhodes has been battle tested for more than just nine games and has actually played against legit WR/QB combos in his career - something that Lattimore has not done yet.  It's unreal that someone like that is being placed above a proven great CB.

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Not every defense plays the same.  Also Sanu is a great receiving threat as well and just as necessary to be taken away.  Also a shutdown corner means they don't give up yards to a WR whether it's through deflecting passes their way, limited the yards gained after a catch, or through such suffocating coverage the WR doesn't get targeted period.  Also each defense and their personnel are different.  For example the Saints might decide that their best course of action is to have Lattimore just straight up remove Sanu from the game and let Crawley and a safety do work on Julio Jones if they don't think Crawley could handle Sanu by himself to begin with.  In this instance if Crawley was going to require help regardless the best option is to have Lattimore shutdown Sanu by himself and then let Crawley and a safety take out Julio since the help would be extended anyways.  All defenses have to make these decisions, it's especially evident with the Saints who have horrible depth behind Crawley and Lattimore and could use a good Nickel/Dime CB so that Vaccarro, who has been good on the slot WR though, doesn't have to play CB in certain packages.

cmon man, did you really just say sanu is just as necessary to be taken away as Julio. If sanu goes crazy, its something like 8 for 110 and a td. If Julio goes crazy... we dont even know what his ceiling is. We've seen 10/250/1 multiple times from him.

Just now, GSUeagles14 said:

cmon man, did you really just say sanu is just as necessary to be taken away as Julio. If sanu goes crazy, its something like 8 for 110 and a td. If Julio goes crazy... we dont even know what his ceiling is. We've seen 10/250/1 multiple times from him.

Yes but it's based on the defensive strats.  If they think that even against Sanu, Crawley will need shadowing, they might as well just put him on Julio Jones with the added help and let Lattimore straight up shutdown Sanu.  Same resources taken but with less risk of even a great CB like Lattimore being beat 1v1.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2017 at 9:14 PM, showtime said:

To me, it's not the receivers Marshon has been matched up against that has made him so impressive.  We've sort of accepted that a "shut down" corner is a cornerback who takes away the opponent's best wide receiver.  It's how someone like Darrelle Revis made his name.  He went up against a who's who of NFL wide receivers and shut them down. But that's not what "shut down corner" used to mean.  It used to mean someone who shut down half the field.  From what I've seen, Marshon Lattimore is the classical version of a shut down corner.  He shuts down half the field.  I never thought we would see that again with the rule changes.  I never thought we would have a cornerback who shut down half the field ever like Deion did ever again, but that is what I saw from Lattimore earlier this season and it astounds me how he's doing it as a rookie.  Even if he was going up against the New York Giants, Chicago Bears and Cleveland Browns for 16 weeks straight, that's really impressive.

Archived