Pro Bowl OL?

Louis Friend

According to PFF:

Penei Sewell is the 5th rated right tackle 

Frank Ragnow is the 4th rated center 

Jonah Jackson is the 3rd rated left guard

Taylor Decker ranked 15th but has been on fire past five weeks. 

Obviously, we've had a revolving door at RG this season. But our OL has been driving our offense, IMO, from the stellar play of our guys up front. 

If we spend one draft pick on RG and re-sign Evan Brown, I'm happy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

According to PFF:

Obviously, we've had a revolving door at RG this season. But our OL has been driving our offense, IMO, from the stellar play of our guys up front. 

A guy I like is Peter Skoronski. Put him at G and move him to RT in the future when we move on from Decker. If he was there with our 2nd pick in the first, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

On 12/13/2022 at 10:34 AM, Louis Friend said:

According to PFF:

Decker has been playing awesome.

If Detroits oline isn’t the best in the NFL it’s certainly close.

Its time to find a new RG.

• Like 1

We have good starters but we could use an upgrade on our swing/back-up tackle.  Matt Nelson had potential when we brought him in and he has great size but he hasn't developed as expected.  I would like to see the Lions do what the Saints did with Terrnon Armstead (3rd round Pick) and let him work with Taylor Decker and Penei Sewell for a year while their skills develop.

37 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

We have good starters but we could use an upgrade on our swing/back-up tackle.  Matt Nelson had potential when we brought him in and he has great size but he hasn't developed as expected.  I would like to see the Lions do what the Saints did with Terrnon Armstead (3rd round Pick) and let him work with Taylor Decker and Penei Sewell for a year while their skills develop.

Do you think Eze could develop into that guy with Fraley coaching him up?

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

Do you think Eze could develop into that guy with Fraley coaching him up?

He could be if he develops.  Obina had serious size and length but was raw coming into camp.  If I remember correctly, he was slow getting out of his stance after the snap among other things.  There isn't much coverage on how players on the PS develop once the season starts unless they do what James Houston has done.  I am definitely curious to see if he has improved.  I suspect we won't know much until we get into OTA and camp next year.  If he is improving, I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions kept it quiet to keep another team from signing him from the PS.

On 12/17/2022 at 3:01 PM, Just Want A Title said:

He could be if he develops.  Obina had serious size and length but was raw coming into camp.  If I remember correctly, he was slow getting out of his stance after the snap among other things.  There isn't much coverage on how players on the PS develop once the season starts unless they do what James Houston has done.  I am definitely curious to see if he has improved.  I suspect we won't know much until we get into OTA and camp next year.  If he is improving, I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions kept it quiet to keep another team from signing him from the PS.

I think he can turn into a decent backup but I wouldn't bet on it.  Its rare that an UDFA becomes a solid starter or even rotational player and we have hit on a few so the odds are against us.  There is usually a reason someone falls that far or goes undrafted and if it is not off field stuff, then they likely aren't going to be great.  He is likely too tall to play OG but that seems like his skill set is better suited for.  

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think he can turn into a decent backup but I wouldn't bet on it.  Its rare that an UDFA becomes a solid starter or even rotational player and we have hit on a few so the odds are against us.  There is usually a reason someone falls that far or goes undrafted and if it is not off field stuff, then they likely aren't going to be great.  He is likely too tall to play OG but that seems like his skill set is better suited for.  

It is kind of like the Bill Parcells Planet Theory:  There aren't a lot of guys who are 6'8", 330 Lbs with 36-inch arm length. 

One the one hand, he could have been overly reliant on his physical tools in college and had success.  Going undrafted and then being put in the PS could have been a wake-up call.  Some of his issues could simply be related to poor conditioning and strength.  If he develops into a swing tackle it would be a win.  Eventual starter-an even bigger win

On the other hand, he may not stick on an NFL roster because, despite his physical tools, his technique and mastery of the mental part of the game don't develop enough to warrant keeping him in the roster but will stick around for a while based on his physical traits.  Cornelius Lucas has managed to carve out a relatively long career even though he isn't a world-beater.

It wouldn't be a reach to see him step into the 3rd tackle/Swing Tackle role.  Being in our OL-Room and dealing with our O-Linemen should provide a big catalyst for his development.  

Final Pro Bowl fan vote ranks for Lions players: 

Ragnow 3rd at C
Hutchinson 2nd at DE
Jonah Jackson 7th at OG
Jamaal Williams 9th at RB
Penei Sewell 4th at OT

Taylor Decker 6th at OT

DeShon Elliott 7th at SS
Kerby Joseph 2nd at FS
Jared Goff 10th at QB
Amon-Ra St. Brown 6th at WR

Fan voting counts as 1/3 the vote. Final rosters will be announced on Wednesday. 

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Final Pro Bowl fan vote ranks for Lions players: 

Ragnow 3rd at C
Hutchinson 2nd at DE
Jonah Jackson 7th at OG
Jamaal Williams 9th at RB
Penei Sewell 4th at OT

Taylor Decker 6th at OT

DeShon Elliott 7th at SS
Kerby Joseph 2nd at FS
Jared Goff 10th at QB
Amon-Ra St. Brown 6th at WR

Fan voting counts as 1/3 the vote. Final rosters will be announced on Wednesday. 

What's insane is how our OL is considered to be one of the entire best in the league and yet the best we can do is the 3rd OC. 

• Like 1