Pro Bowl OL?

Louis Friend

5 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

It is kind of like the Bill Parcells Planet Theory:  There aren't a lot of guys who are 6'8", 330 Lbs with 36-inch arm length. 

One the one hand, he could have been overly reliant on his physical tools in college and had success.  Going undrafted and then being put in the PS could have been a wake-up call.  Some of his issues could simply be related to poor conditioning and strength.  If he develops into a swing tackle it would be a win.  Eventual starter-an even bigger win

On the other hand, he may not stick on an NFL roster because, despite his physical tools, his technique and mastery of the mental part of the game don't develop enough to warrant keeping him in the roster but will stick around for a while based on his physical traits.  Cornelius Lucas has managed to carve out a relatively long career even though he isn't a world-beater.

It wouldn't be a reach to see him step into the 3rd tackle/Swing Tackle role.  Being in our OL-Room and dealing with our O-Linemen should provide a big catalyst for his development.  

It wouldn't be a complete reach to move into the swing OT role but there are a lot of big guys with better technique and athleticism that likely will surpass him.  He is raw, and still only has like 5 years of playing football under his belt so he could improve his technique and get there but I would not ignore it in the draft in hopes he does unless he has shown a lot of growth on the PS this year.  Its just rare to hit on UDFAs as more than a couple year filler role so playing the percentages, I would not count on it. 

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It wouldn't be a complete reach to move into the swing OT role but there are a lot of big guys with better technique and athleticism that likely will surpass him.  He is raw, and still only has like 5 years of playing football under his belt so he could improve his technique and get there but I would not ignore it in the draft in hopes he does unless he has shown a lot of growth on the PS this year.  Its just rare to hit on UDFAs as more than a couple year filler role so playing the percentages, I would not count on it. 

If I was the Lions, I would put in a call to Jonathan Ogden to help coach him up.  They have a similar physical build so it could help him out.

6 hours ago, HashtagFTW said:

I'm not sure how Kerby was a massive snub. Every week, he's playing worse than the last. The two biggest snubs were ARSB and Goff. 

I have to agree with this. Goff has been playing exceptionally well and somehow Geno Smith is a Pro Bowler starter. 

• Jared Goff: 64.9% Completion Rate; 3,604 yards; 23 TD's; 7 INT's; 97.2 QBR
  • Geno Smith: 71.4%; 3671 yards; 26 TD's; 8 INT's; 105.3 QBR

Smith has been turning the ball over a lot more recently and had the benefit of much better defense earlier on in the year. 

8 hours ago, HashtagFTW said:

I'm not sure how Kerby was a massive snub. Every week, he's playing worse than the last. The two biggest snubs were ARSB and Goff. 

Kerby Joseph made a nice play in the run-game vs the jets but his tackling still needs to improve.  It looks a lot like Kerby Joseph has hit the "rookie wall".  I think the "snubs" come from the fact that it is going to take a winning season next year to for people to take the Lions seriously.  They are right to think that way.  I am enjoy watching the Lions play well but if they want to be taken seriously this level of play that they are showing now has to be sustained.

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I have to agree with this. Goff has been playing exceptionally well and somehow Geno Smith is a Pro Bowler starter. 

• Jared Goff: 64.9% Completion Rate; 3,604 yards; 23 TD's; 7 INT's; 97.2 QBR
  • Geno Smith: 71.4%; 3671 yards; 26 TD's; 8 INT's; 105.3 QBR

Smith has been turning the ball over a lot more recently and had the benefit of much better defense earlier on in the year. 

It's not even about Geno. I can't understand the reasoning that Kirk Cousins is in over Goff. I can't understand the reasoning that CeeDee is in over ARSB. Other than team record. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, HashtagFTW said:

It's not even about Geno. I can't understand the reasoning that Kirk Cousins is in over Goff. I can't understand the reasoning that CeeDee is in over ARSB. Other than team record. 

You just hit the nail on the head.  It is about the winning record.  The Lions deserve a lot of credit for digging themselves out of a 1-6 start to reach 7-7.  Unfortunately, teams are judged by the "Ws" and to everyone looking at the Lions right now they are a .500 team.  That is a big step from where they have been in recent years but I am hoping for a situation like they have in Kansas City or Baltimore where their personnel moves (drafting and free agency) along with high-level coaching make a consistent winner.

ARSB is the biggest snub by far.  He has been the best WR in the NFC per PFF and has had consistent production week to week.  Top 2 (top 5 in NFL) in the NFC in first downs and first downs on 3rd down behind only JJ.  And that’s with missing a week and a half.  

he also is #2 in the NFL behind only Cooper Kupp in catch rate at 74.8 of his targets converted.  Only RBs ahead of him and Kupp.  

Absolutely garbage that he isn’t in the pro bowl as a starter. 

• Like 3

On 12/17/2022 at 3:01 PM, Just Want A Title said:

He could be if he develops.  Obina had serious size and length but was raw coming into camp.  If I remember correctly, he was slow getting out of his stance after the snap among other things.  There isn't much coverage on how players on the PS develop once the season starts unless they do what James Houston has done.  I am definitely curious to see if he has improved.  I suspect we won't know much until we get into OTA and camp next year.  If he is improving, I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions kept it quiet to keep another team from signing him from the PS.

I saw the information below about how the practice squad is supposed to work.  For prospects like Obina Eze and the newly signed Jarrid Williams, this could be there best path to stick on a roster.  I think it will be really interesting to see how much a year on the PS and full off-season benefits both of them next year.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/how-and-why-the-practice-squad-works/

• 5 weeks later...