WEEK 15 Gameday Thread - ARI (4-9) @ DEN (3-10) 2:05 MT

Broncofan

Big news to keep Jeudy on the field.

With or without Russell Wilson, one of the few games we deserve to be favorites at home. 

Important matchups:

-Our OL vs. JJ Watt & Zach Allen - obv the QB matters, but in the end, our OL's ability to keep Watt & Allen off the QB is crucial

-Our WR/TE's vs. their secondary - with Byron Murphy / Marco Wilson out, this is a smash spot for our receivers, provided the OL can protect enough.   please feed Jeudy & Dulcich!!  With Hinton injuring his hammy, Brandon Johnson & Jalen Vigil's time to shine as WR3, can one step up as well?

-Our pass rush vs. their OL - the Pats D absolutely swarmed the ARI OL.   Can Browning, Cooper & maybe a returning Gregory do the same?

-Controlling James Conner on the ground - Conner's not flashy, but he helps move the sticks.   Preventing big gains, and time-consuming drives, and keeping them in pass situations, is key.    Conner is the workhorse they try to lean on.   Control him, and then the matchup turns to....

-Our secondary vs. DeAndre Hopkins & Hollywood Brown - yes, Hollywood Brown can hurt them, but the O revolves on Nuk.  PS2 vs. Hopkins should be a great matchup to watch for.

The usual stuff applies - winning the TO battle, special teams (just breaking even is sadly a W), and coaching / game management (Kliff Kingsbury is actually someone that is almost as bad as Hackett's been - but at year 3, it seems a done deal he's a dead man walking at year's end.  Who can outdo the other in mistakes/bad decisions)?

If Russell Wilson plays, I think this is a 27-16 or maybe 23-16 (more FG's than TD's lol) win.   If it's Brett Rypien, I'm still good with a 20-16 win.    

The same staff that thought Wattenberg should play G last week - now think Fleming should move back to LT instead of Calvin Anderson.   Frankly Anderson has looked far more comfortable at LT than Fleming did before (and Fleming wasn't good at RT either).  

Wilson clears protocols and Denver’s coaching staff, who are playing for their jobs decide to give him another week and go with Rypien.

I’d have done the same.  It’s obvious in the small sample size that the staff trust Rypien more than Wilson. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

Wilson clears protocols and Denver’s coaching staff, who are playing for their jobs decide to give him another week and go with Rypien.

I’d have done the same.  It’s obvious in the small sample size that the staff trust Rypien more than Wilson. 

Or the logical take that in a 3-10 season, not really much point to taking the risk.   In a year where the Dolphins got absolutely eviscerated for playing Tua right after being knocked out the week before - not hard to see why the  FO went this direction.   Wilson was absolutely knocked out cold.    

If the Broncos can't beat Arizona without Russ while playing at home, we don't deserve to win.   Especially with more guys at key spots coming back (Billy Turner & Randy Gregory are both huge returning guys, we could use it - it's too bad they negated part of the gain by going with Fleming over Anderson at LT, though - SMH). 

Edited by Broncofan

On 12/13/2022 at 1:53 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well if I'm going to pick one game in the four of the season we could win, this would be it. I think there are some favorable matchups to be exploited. 

I'm feeling optimistic, Broncos 23, Cardinals 16. 

NEWS FLASH, STOP THE PRESSES!

10 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Or the logical take that in a 3-10 season, not really much point to taking the risk.   In a year where the Dolphins got absolutely eviscerated for playing Tua right after being knocked out the week before - not hard to see why the  FO went this direction.   Wilson was absolutely knocked out cold.    

If the Broncos can't beat Arizona without Russ while playing at home, we don't deserve to win.   Especially with more guys at key spots coming back (Billy Turner & Randy Gregory are both huge returning guys, we could use it - it's too bad they negated part of the gain by going with Fleming over Anderson at LT, though - SMH). 

What a weird post.  Question my “logic” as you defend not playing Wilson because we are 3-10 while also saying if Denver can’t beat Arizona without Russ they don’t deserve to win.  They don’t beat anyone with him to begin with 😂

Wilson cleared protocol and the staff is in an almost win out mode to keep their jobs.  They don’t want to play Wilson, not because of what happened in Miami but because they think they have a better shot with Rypien.  You can see it in the small sample size of when Rypien is under center.  They trust him more.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The same staff that thought Wattenberg should play G last week - now think Fleming should move back to LT instead of Calvin Anderson.   Frankly Anderson has looked far more comfortable at LT than Fleming did before (and Fleming wasn't good at RT either).  

Our OL staff never ceases to amaze me. Fleming struggles on the right side to just be bad. So............. bench our best OT, the only OT on the roster outside of Bolles that can actually play LT and replace him with Fleming?

3 hours ago, germ-x said:

Quite simply I just think Rypien understands the offense and will execute it. The WCO has lots of ways to exploit a pass rush.

13 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Quite simply I just think Rypien understands the offense and will execute it. The WCO has lots of ways to exploit a pass rush.

I don’t disagree.  I by no means think Rypien is a long term NFL starter or anything but I think in the small sample size this year he operates within the offense far better than Wilson and the playcallers trust him more.

The Jets have as a good a pass defense as there is in the NFL.  They’ve held Josh Allen under 200 yards twice and have not given up 300 yards passing in a game.  Rypien held his own comparatively to others vs that defense.  

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

What a weird post.  Question my “logic” as you defend not playing Wilson because we are 3-10 while also saying if Denver can’t beat Arizona without Russ they don’t deserve to win.  They don’t beat anyone with him to begin with 😂

Wilson cleared protocol and the staff is in an almost win out mode to keep their jobs.  They don’t want to play Wilson, not because of what happened in Miami but because they think they have a better shot with Rypien.  You can see it in the small sample size of when Rypien is under center.  They trust him more.

In a 3-10 season there is only risk and nothing gained by playing him.  A second concussion in such a short time threatens careers. 

The staff isn’t going to keep or lose their jobs by 1 game.  Certainly not Arizona.   

And yes they should win even without him.   Even AAA is calling for the win without him - as have all the posts before the news came out in this thread.  Either way in a 3-10 season, the risk >>>> reward of playing him.    Sorry if that logic eludes you. 

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Our OL staff never ceases to amaze me. Fleming struggles on the right side to just be bad. So............. bench our best OT, the only OT on the roster outside of Bolles that can actually play LT and replace him with Fleming?

Several members here (myself included) pointed out earlier in the season how bad it must be for Anderson's outlook that he couldn't get on the field and unseat Fleming.   It turns out the coaches' eval of both guys, in comparison to each other, clearly looks off.   Even when Anderson gets on the field and clearly plays better at T in game-time - the coaches somehow think Fleming's the better player.    And frankly, it's not like moving to LT is that easy - Fleming has done nothing but struggle at both LT & RT.   He literally has no present or future value.   Yet the coaching staff thinks he's somehow deserving to play at LT now.  Let's be clear, I don't see Anderson as the long-term answer to start; but he's miles ahead of Fleming.  It's wild the coaches don't see this.

Frankly, while it's the OL coaches that deserve the majority of the blame - the fact that Hackett can't see this, is just another nail in the coffin.   With him out of the OC role, and acting as general overseer, it's pretty dismal on both his & Butch Barry's  account.  Playing Wattenberg over both Bailey & Muti at G to replace Risner (vs. Chris Jones, to boot - perfect time to bring in a guy out of position with all his work before that week at another position)... was an absolute disaster move - and yet 1 week later, it's a redux.    Instead of clearly upgrading 1 position (RT), they then decide to take out the guy who's been playing better at the other T spot.   Sigh.

Edited by Broncofan

9 hours ago, germ-x said:

Coaching staff didn’t make the call on Russ. Hackett looked pissed about it.