WEEK 15 Gameday Thread - ARI (4-9) @ DEN (3-10) 2:05 MT

Broncofan

23 hours ago, Broncofan said:

In a 3-10 season there is only risk and nothing gained by playing him.  A second concussion in such a short time threatens careers. 

The staff isn’t going to keep or lose their jobs by 1 game.  Certainly not Arizona.   

And yes they should win even without him.   Even AAA is calling for the win without him - as have all the posts before the news came out in this thread.  Either way in a 3-10 season, the risk >>>> reward of playing him.    Sorry if that logic eludes you. 

It does elude me considering they’ve played players within a week of a concussion who have cleared protocol.  DJ Jones being one of them just off the top of my head and he gets his head hit every single snap.

I get what you’re saying but if you clear protocol and can’t play because the risk is too high then the protocol needs to change. 

Also interesting, Wilson missed 3 games in 10 years with Seattle.  He’s missed 2 this season with Denver and in both he was deemed able to play and the coaching staff chose to sit him out to be cautious.

You can’t predict injuries and I get that and there’s points in protecting players from themselves.  But as a fan, based on this season and based on play call changes when Rypien plays, not have some what of a feeling they prefer Rypien to Wilson.  But you can’t bench the guy you traded 2 drafts for and paid $250M, but what you can do is when he hits the injury report extend him a week.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, germ-x said:

It does elude me considering they’ve played players within a week of a concussion who have cleared protocol.  DJ Jones being one of them just off the top of my head and he gets his head hit every single snap.

I get what you’re saying but if you clear protocol and can’t play because the risk is too high then the protocol needs to change. 

Also interesting, Wilson missed 3 games in 10 years with Seattle.  He’s missed 2 this season with Denver and in both he was deemed able to play and the coaching staff chose to sit him out to be cautious.

You can’t predict injuries and I get that and there’s points in protecting players from themselves.  But as a fan, based on this season and based on play call changes when Rypien plays, not have some what of a feeling they prefer Rypien to Wilson.  But you can’t bench the guy you traded 2 drafts for and paid $250M, but what you can do is when he hits the injury report extend him a week.

Re: extending a week - there is actually strong medical evidence even waiting 2 weeks makes a difference.   Other sports such as rugby in fact mandate 2 weeks (12 days to be exact) as the general rule before return to sports if you’re knocked out cold like Russell was.  

The protocol exists to provide a more objective method to reduce risk.   It’s far from foolproof.   And in lost seasons we see teams take extra steps all the time.  

The Rams had Stafford clear protocol but decided to forego the risk (the reports of spinal contusion are click bait PR lines for cover - because zero chance you even wait 4 weeks as Rams did before deciding his season is over).    

Waiting a 2nd week has a lot of rationale to support it (link below shows one of many studies out now that formed the basis for waiting 2 weeks) 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32132366/

Ultimately the proof will be in the FO actions - if they stick with Rypien next week, then the idea they trust him more than Wilson has complete merit.   But if they go back to Russ even after a W (still my call & Vegas sentiment too lol), then the precautionary angle was the play.  And it’s a very reasonable approach.  

We’re not even half a season removed from MIA being roasted over the coals for their approach with Tua.   It’s no coincidence Stafford got put under wraps and Wilson got the extra week, both after being cleared (and both in lost seasons).   It’s a different era we’re seeing post-Tua. In a lost season I totally get it.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Back to the game a few extra thoughts: 

-All eyes go to Cameron Fleming vs.  JJ Watt.  Gotta believe ARI will try to isolate that matchup.   I hope we see a really short leash with Calvin Anderson ready to step in.   And IMO a no brainer better player.   I’d also expect more help sent Fleming’s way.  

-ARI is a bottom 5 TE D.   I hope we see more 12 personnel to free Dulcich up.  My wallet hopes so too with yardage / TD props lol.  

-Jeudy will almost certainly draw double coverage.   Will Rypien look hs way as much as Wilson did last week?  

-Who steps up to be the WR2 with Hinton / Sutton both out?  My wallet hopes it’s Vigil at +2200 TD lol.  

-On D love to see Nuk vs. PS2.   And how Mathis fares vs. Hollywood Brown or Nuk on the other side.   

-First time we get to see Gregory & Browning on the field together since Chubb got traded.    Can they become an elite dynamic duo? 

Given it’s the late game and I can split screen 4 games on DAZN (and there’s only 4 games on the late slate lol) I’ll break my vow to not watch the game live.  Hopefully my liver and blood pressure don’t suffer as a result of this decision. 🤨

Edited by Broncofan