Define Our Problem/s Defensively

LETSGOBROWNIES

What is the primary issue with the defense?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What is to blame for our defensive struggles?

• Scheme
    • Talent
    • Talent and scheme equally
    • Talent is a factor, but mostly scheme
    • Scheme is a factor, but mostly talent
  2. 2. What position would you prioritize to upgrade defensively this off-season?

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

So what does everyone expect to happen this off-season as it relates to the defense? (Not what do you think the problem is)

I think Stefanski will try to keep Woods, but he'll be strongarmed into cutting ties.

My biggest concern is this FO and Stefanski remain patient…. “patient”?…. and stay the course.  I’m usually one who prefers stability and continuity, but I think there are some glaring issues with both scheme and roster construction.

Haslam hates being an embarrassment. The defense is beyond embarrassing. I think Woods is going to be run out of town by Haslam, if Stefanski doesn't want to do it.

Keeping Woods is an option, but imo puts Stefanski directly on the hot seat at the start of the year. No one is going to be patient or understanding if Woods ****s the bed 3 straight years.

I don't think it is an option unless we go God Mode on defense. I still wouldn't want him here if we pitched straight shutouts the rest of the way. Playing "lights out" defensively at the end of the year may save him, but it shouldn't.

I also think not addressing LB and DT with some reasonable assets is going to put a bullseye on Berry.  Maybe the issue is scheme, maybe it’s primarily scheme, but you can’t leave the talent variable unaddressed imo.

I think it'd be absolutely necessary to address those positions. It would be an exercise in insanity to not gut those two position groups. I think even the dumbest of people could identify that as a MUST FIX.

I’m honestly not certain we fire woods or change anything.  This FO and Stefanski have shown to be consistent perhaps to a fault. I could see some position coach changes and maybe some sort of “senior advisor”, but I think they stay the course tbh.

I think our DL coach sucks. We have the worst technique in the freaking world. Even our stud (Garrett) has terrible form and doesn't play gap sound football whatsoever. Our DL doesn't play with their hands and does nothing to help the linebackers stay clean. Plus, we don't freaking play hard at all. The DL coach should be in these dude's @$$es every snap. Not sure who it is, but he sucks or we have the least receptive players ever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think Stefanski will try to keep Woods, but he'll be strongarmed into cutting ties.

Haslam hates being an embarrassment. The defense is beyond embarrassing. I think Woods is going to be run out of town by Haslam, if Stefanski doesn't want to do it.

I could 100% see that 

I don't think it is an option unless we go God Mode on defense. I still wouldn't want him here if we pitched straight shutouts the rest of the way. Playing "lights out" defensively at the end of the year may save him, but it shouldn't.

That’s more or less my concern.  String some wins together, defense improves, etc 

I think it'd be absolutely necessary to address those positions. It would be an exercise in insanity to not gut those two position groups. I think even the dumbest of people could identify that as a MUST FIX.

I think our DL coach sucks. We have the worst technique in the freaking world. Even our stud (Garrett) has terrible form and doesn't play gap sound football whatsoever. Our DL doesn't play with their hands and does nothing to help the linebackers stay clean. Plus, we don't freaking play hard at all. The DL coach should be in these dude's @$$es every snap. Not sure who it is, but he sucks or we have the least receptive players ever.

Chris Kiffin.  Monte’s son, Lane’s brother.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Chris Kiffin.  Monte’s son, Lane’s brother.

Well he, and the LB coach, are atrocious at their jobs. I see our players making the same fundamental mistakes over and over again, which leads me to believe they're being taught this. I continue to see our DE's play pass every single time and run 5 yards up the field. I see our linebackers taking on blocks with their INSIDE arm free pretty much every single time, which results in them getting pinned on pull schemes. I see our interior DT's playing high and not using their hands whatsoever.

Also, Chris Kiffin, how in the world can we not fix the fact that we get like 3-4 offsides penalties every single game? Our HS football kids don't have 5 offsides penalties all year! One of my biggest annoyances with the Browns year in and year out. When's the last time you've seen us benefit from some dope on another team lining up in the neutral zone before the snap? I feel like it never happens, except to the Browns.

8 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Well he, and the LB coach, are atrocious at their jobs. I see our players making the same fundamental mistakes over and over again, which leads me to believe they're being taught this. I continue to see our DE's play pass every single time and run 5 yards up the field. I see our linebackers taking on blocks with their INSIDE arm free pretty much every single time, which results in them getting pinned on pull schemes. I see our interior DT's playing high and not using their hands whatsoever.

Also, Chris Kiffin, how in the world can we not fix the fact that we get like 3-4 offsides penalties every single game? Our HS football kids don't have 5 offsides penalties all year! One of my biggest annoyances with the Browns year in and year out. When's the last time you've seen us benefit from some dope on another team lining up in the neutral zone before the snap? I feel like it never happens, except to the Browns.

Nice.

To be honest with Berry's drafting

Do not see us getting a stronger defensive coordinator. 

Eg look at what Tom Brady attracted

As a head coach.

24 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I continue to see our DE's play pass every single time and run 5 yards up the field.

well they have to you see because those two beating their blocker is the entirety of our pass rush.  And by those two I mean Myles.

24 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I can live with someone like Myles getting called for offsides if he mistimed a snap because long term I think he’s gonna get more sacks and force turnovers, etc doing do.  Lining up offsides is 100% inexcusable as is jumping off sides for the rest of these middling schmucks.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

well they have to you see because those two beating their blocker is the entirety of our pass rush.  And by those two I mean Myles.

I don't disagree, but you can do both. Playing your LDE in a 6I on the TE is mandatory, IMO. If you play with a 7, as we do, the TE can go crush the MIKE linebacker unimpeded. On passing downs, great. Play him outside. On running downs, it's a death sentence to the linebackers unless they're unbelievable at getting over the top.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I don't disagree, but you can do both. Playing your LDE in a 6I on the TE is mandatory, IMO. If you play with a 7, as we do, the TE can go crush the MIKE linebacker unimpeded. On passing downs, great. Play him outside. On running downs, it's a death sentence to the linebackers unless they're unbelievable at getting over the top.

I think you’re misunderstanding me.  I’m not defending it, I’m saying his *** refuses to dial up pressure with blitzes, stunts, etc and just depends on Myles hauling *** upfield and this is the result.  It should absolutely be fixed.

4 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think Woods is going to be run out of town by Haslam, if Stefanski doesn't want to do it.

This is the moment we need Jimmy to Jimmy and squeeze his itchy trigger finger if Stefanski is inexplicably too dumb or misguided to see Woods for who he is.

One problem we have is not enough diversity on defense. 

JOK, Fields, JJ3, Harrison, delpit, d'anthony bell, all feel like they play the same position.

Most of our dts feel like 3 techs, 290-300 pounds with good movement skills, but can't anchor. 

Bryan, Elliot, Winfrey.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

One problem we have is not enough diversity on defense. 

JOK, Fields, JJ3, Harrison, delpit, d'anthony bell, all feel like they play the same position.

Most of our dts feel like 3 techs, 290-300 pounds with good movement skills, but can't anchor. 

Bryan, Elliot, Winfrey.

Agreed. We need a true run stopping fat guy, an edge with some burst, a couple linebackers with some size and an actual FS imo. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed. We need a true run stopping fat guy, an edge with some burst, a couple linebackers with some size and an actual FS imo. 

I dream of a big fat man dressed in Brown. 

If Dorsey kept our 2019 pick and drafted Dexter Lawrence and AJ Brownninstead of Greedy we would be set. 

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

I dream of a big fat man dressed in Brown. 

If Dorsey kept our 2019 pick and drafted Dexter Lawrence and AJ Brownninstead of Greedy we would be set. 

I have no interest in spending a high pick on a fat guy tbh.

Spend a 4th rounder on some dude who’s 6’3 340 and can’t rush the passer for **** but is good against the run. Those guys are devalued in todays game but still have a role.

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I have no interest in spending a high pick on a fat guy tbh.

Spend a 4th rounder on some dude who’s 6’3 340 and can’t rush the passer for **** but is good against the run. Those guys are devalued in todays game but still have a role.

I agree with you Danny Sheldon never should have been a 1st rounder. Would have been solid in the 3rd. Great in the 4th.

Lawrence is a decent pass rusher, 24 qb hits this year's and 6.5 sacks.id take that in the 1st.

The guy vs the bengals who killed our run game was a 4th or something. I'm all for that

• Like 1