Official Dallas Mavericks Thread: Welcome Lively, Omax, Grant Williams, Richaun, Seth, & Exum!

the lone star

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So common comparisons for DSJ coming out of the draft were Derrick Rose and Damian Lillard. I think he has some Lillard in him but overall I see a more athletic Kyle Lowry. So I think he's going to be Kyle Lowry in his prime but hopefully even better, but I'm hoping he develops the pure scorer's mentality of Damian Lillard.

So it looks like the starting lineup and rotation is going to end up like this:

PG: Smith Jr. - Ferrell - Barea

SG: Curry - Harris

SF: Matthews - Finney-Smith

PF: Barnes - Powell - Kleber

C: Dirk - Noel - Mejri

I HATE Matthews at the 3 and I really do not like starting Curry. For one, we need a defensive minded guy next to Dennis, and that 100% should be Matthews. Seth is MUCH better as a flamethrower scorer off the bench. Barnes is a pretty weird situation for me. Offensively he is a major mismatch for most power forwards and I like him playing the 4. But he's going to get owned on the glass at the 4, especially with Dirk at the 5.

Part of me wonders if Rick kept Noel as a bench guy because our bench isn't too good, but I don't think there's any question that Noel should be starting. Dirk can still guard 5s with Noel guarding 4s.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2017 at 1:28 PM, Tyronnosaurus said:

Dennis Smith Jr. is going to be a stud. A more athletic Damian Lillard with better PG skills/vision but not quite the explosive scoring ability of Lillard. Guy is going to be an All Star for a long time and that's going to start pretty soon.

Don't jinx it bro

On 10/10/2017 at 3:20 PM, Tyronnosaurus said:

So common comparisons for DSJ coming out of the draft were Derrick Rose and Damian Lillard. I think he has some Lillard in him but overall I see a more athletic Kyle Lowry. So I think he's going to be Kyle Lowry in his prime but hopefully even better, but I'm hoping he develops the pure scorer's mentality of Damian Lillard.

So it looks like the starting lineup and rotation is going to end up like this:

PG: Smith Jr. - Ferrell - Barea

SG: Curry - Harris

SF: Matthews - Finney-Smith

PF: Barnes - Powell - Kleber

C: Dirk - Noel - Mejri

I HATE Matthews at the 3 and I really do not like starting Curry. For one, we need a defensive minded guy next to Dennis, and that 100% should be Matthews. Seth is MUCH better as a flamethrower scorer off the bench. Barnes is a pretty weird situation for me. Offensively he is a major mismatch for most power forwards and I like him playing the 4. But he's going to get owned on the glass at the 4, especially with Dirk at the 5.

Part of me wonders if Rick kept Noel as a bench guy because our bench isn't too good, but I don't think there's any question that Noel should be starting. Dirk can still guard 5s with Noel guarding 4s.

Curry's injured, so slide everybody down one and start Noel.

Either that or plug in another guard for Curry, but I'm not a fan of that. Noel as the starter makes so much more sense.

31 minutes ago, the lone star said:

Curry's injured, so slide everybody down one and start Noel.

Either that or plug in another guard for Curry, but I'm not a fan of that. Noel as the starter makes so much more sense.

Lineup will probably be:

Smith Jr.

Ferrell

Matthews

Barnes

Dirk

That team is going to get absolutely decimated on the boards and on defense. The goal of this year is to watch Dennis Smith Jr. grow though, so I'm not mad.

On 10/16/2017 at 3:25 PM, Tyronnosaurus said:

Lineup will probably be:

Smith Jr.

Ferrell

Matthews

Barnes

Dirk

That team is going to get absolutely decimated on the boards and on defense. The goal of this year is to watch Dennis Smith Jr. grow though, so I'm not mad.

Looks like Noel might be starting for a bit. We'll see though.