Official Dallas Mavericks Thread: Welcome Lively, Omax, Grant Williams, Richaun, Seth, & Exum!

the lone star

On 5/16/2018 at 10:16 AM, flyingmonkey30 said:

A healthy MPJ is in the same tier as Doncic and Ayton. The healthy part is what's tricky of course

Yeah, MPJ's health is concerning. I'd take him though. Bamba can be a double-double guy with good defense, but MPJ could turn into a 20ppg scorer. You gotta go with the latter in today's NBA.

18 minutes ago, the lone star said:

Yeah, MPJ's health is concerning. I'd take him though. Bamba can be a double-double guy with good defense, but MPJ could turn into a 20ppg scorer. You gotta go with the latter in today's NBA.

I would if they sign off on the back. But without that explosiveness, he's just a 6'11 shooter who can't impact the game many other ways

2 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I would if they sign off on the back. But without that explosiveness, he's just a 6'11 shooter who can't impact the game many other ways

Yeah, also a bit of an unknown since he only played a few college games. Looked good in FIBA ball, and with the explosiveness and athleticism, he definitely can rebound and possibly even contest shots. I'd take a chance on him though. He's young and can probably come back from that injury.

But now that Bamba has set the record for largest wingspan, I bet the Mavs are super interested.

2 hours ago, the lone star said:

Yeah, also a bit of an unknown since he only played a few college games. Looked good in FIBA ball, and with the explosiveness and athleticism, he definitely can rebound and possibly even contest shots. I'd take a chance on him though. He's young and can probably come back from that injury.

But now that Bamba has set the record for largest wingspan, I bet the Mavs are super interested.

Apparently we met with MPJ at the combine today. I think having Casey Smith as our trainer is a huge advantage - one of the best in the business.

13 hours ago, the lone star said:

One of the best, if not THE best.

Also apparently, the doctor who did his back surgery is out of Dallas and does work with the Cowboys. So another connection there. This feels like the Mavs version of Jaylon Smith, but on a less risky level.

MPJ just doesn't do much for me. He seems much more Rudy Gay, with less athleticism, than he is Kevin Durant, imo. It's pretty much a given that one of Mo, JJJ or Bagley will be there at 5. Give me any of those 3 over Porter, plz nd thnx. 

50 minutes ago, Texasmade said:

MPJ just doesn't do much for me. He seems much more Rudy Gay, with less athleticism, than he is Kevin Durant, imo. It's pretty much a given that one of Mo, JJJ or Bagley will be there at 5. Give me any of those 3 over Porter, plz nd thnx. 

With what we saw at Mizzou, I think that's a fair assessment. We just didn't see what he's fully capable of. High school MPJ can be an easy 20 PPG scorer in the NBA

11 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

With what we saw at Mizzou, I think that's a fair assessment. We just didn't see what he's fully capable of. High school MPJ can be an easy 20 PPG scorer in the NBA

Yeah, it's tough with MPJ because we haven't seen much. A lot of guys ball out in high school.

12 hours ago, Texasmade said:

Rudy Gay is a good comp. I'd also say that with the way MPJ was able to power in on some drives and change his shot while in the air, he has a bit of Blake Griffin in him, but again, he's definitely not as athletic.

On 5/19/2018 at 12:05 AM, the lone star said:

Starting to scout Bamba heavily. I like what I see. Seems to be a safer pick than MPJ.

Texas came to Richmond to play VCU this season, saw Bamba in person.  His length just affects the whole game.

• Like 1