Official Dallas Mavericks Thread: Welcome Lively, Omax, Grant Williams, Richaun, Seth, & Exum!

the lone star

Through 3 games Dennis Smith Jr.'s statlines:

vs. Atlanta: 16 points, 10 assists, 3 rebounds, 3 turnovers, 6-12 FG, 1-4 3pt, 3-4 FT

vs. Golden State: 10 points, 1 assist, 6 rebounds, 1 turnover, 2 steals, 3-11 FG, 0-2 3pt, 4-10 FT

vs. Memphis: 19 points, 5 assists, 1 rebound, 1 turnover, 8-12 FG, 3-6 3pt, 0-2 FT

Season Stats: 15.0 ppg, 5.3 apg, 3.3 rpg, 1.7 topg, 0.7 spg, 48.6% FG, 33.3 3pt%, 43.8 FT%

8 hours ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Through 3 games Dennis Smith Jr.'s statlines:

vs. Atlanta: 16 points, 10 assists, 3 rebounds, 3 turnovers, 6-12 FG, 1-4 3pt, 3-4 FT

vs. Golden State: 10 points, 1 assist, 6 rebounds, 1 turnover, 2 steals, 3-11 FG, 0-2 3pt, 4-10 FT

vs. Memphis: 19 points, 5 assists, 1 rebound, 1 turnover, 8-12 FG, 3-6 3pt, 0-2 FT

Season Stats: 15.0 ppg, 5.3 apg, 3.3 rpg, 1.7 topg, 0.7 spg, 48.6% FG, 33.3 3pt%, 43.8 FT%

He's been awesome but that FT% is woof.

On 10/26/2017 at 9:56 PM, Tyronnosaurus said:

1-3 again tonight. It's a major issue.

Major might be a bit dramatic at this point, but it is a bit frustrating. He doesn't use his lower body at all, or at least not consistently, when he shoots them (it's not an accident he's missed the majority of them short) I'd venture a guess it's either a reoccurring bad habit of a young player, or he's tired and is working himself into shape. Either scenario are relatively easy fixes. 

15 minutes ago, Texasmade said:

Major might be a bit dramatic at this point, but it is a bit frustrating. He doesn't use his lower body at all, or at least not consistently, when he shoots them (it's not an accident he's missed the majority of them short) I'd venture a guess it's either a reoccurring bad habit of a young player, or he's tired and is working himself into shape. Either scenario are relatively easy fixes. 

He was 4-5 tonight so that was great to see.

One early complaint I have (he's 19 so all in all this isn't much) is his tendency to just chuck 3s when he needs to attack attack attack. And the turnovers are bad but once again, 19. The assists numbers will be low as this team around is him is just so bad. But I still expect him to average around 5 per game.

1 hour ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

He was 4-5 tonight so that was great to see.

One early complaint I have (he's 19 so all in all this isn't much) is his tendency to just chuck 3s when he needs to attack attack attack. And the turnovers are bad but once again, 19. The assists numbers will be low as this team around is him is just so bad. But I still expect him to average around 5 per game.

I'm not too worried about the turnovers. He's a 19 year old learning to be an NBA PG on the fly. He needs to have a little more conviction in the decisions he makes, he seems a little hesitant/unsure at times, but I'm ok with whatever decisions he makes so long as he goes really hard when he makes them. The right vs. wrong of those will work themselves out as he gets older and more experienced. 

My biggest complaint, is his activity level without the ball. Once he gives it up, he either runs into the corner and stands there, or stands around outside the 3 point line. It's possible he's doing so in the confines of the offense, but I kind of doubt it. He's so athletic and such a good finisher, that there's probably a good 4-8 easy points a game available on layups and dunks from back cuts/give and go's and the like. 

43 minutes ago, Texasmade said:

I'm not too worried about the turnovers. He's a 19 year old learning to be an NBA PG on the fly. He needs to have a little more conviction in the decisions he makes, he seems a little hesitant/unsure at times, but I'm ok with whatever decisions he makes so long as he goes really hard when he makes them. The right vs. wrong of those will work themselves out as he gets older and more experienced. 

My biggest complaint, is his activity level without the ball. Once he gives it up, he either runs into the corner and stands there, or stands around outside the 3 point line. It's possible he's doing so in the confines of the offense, but I kind of doubt it. He's so athletic and such a good finisher, that there's probably a good 4-8 easy points a game available on layups and dunks from back cuts/give and go's and the like. 

I completely agree on the cuts. We don't run those for whatever reason, and the rare times we do it's for Devin Harris. We've never had an athlete or even a raw talent at this age before. Rick needs to get creative over the next few years.

My thoughts on our future and some current guys:

Barnes has been OK. His jumpshot has been very inconsistent but it does look like he's worked on other aspects of his game. They haven't shown up too much in the box score but just by watching you can tell. I think he's a #3 on a title team but for me that completely changes on whether we view him as the small forward of the future or the power forward of the future who shifts to small forward in certain lineups.

I really like Yogi as a back up PG. I'm really hoping he doesn't play himself into a close-to $10 mil a year contract from a team desperate for young guard talent. For the future I'd love DSJ as the franchise with Yogi as the primary back up, but also a 3rd PG who has size (6'4-6'5) and can play defense.

And then I do like Motley for the future. I think he'll end up developing into a really solid rebounding rotational big. Maybe Clavell can be something as well.

But after that, there's nothing to be excited for in current players imo. Dirk, Matthews, Barea, Harris are all clearly not part of the future. I like Finney-Smith as a defender but he offers little else, and I find it hard to believe we won't find another young, athletic small forward who can play defense but also put the ball in the basket.

Kleber, Withey, Mejri....Don't see them being here in 2 years.

And then we have Noel. I've completely changed my tune on him. Not only do I not think he'll ever be an All Star caliber center, I don't even think he's proven that he's a starter in this league. Some of this he can't control too much as he's TINY for 6'11. 90% of the bigs in this league absolutely dominate him down low. He doesn't have any semblance of a jump shot and he can't create at all. Honestly, I see him as a more talented Brandan Wright, but without the high-efficiency short range jumpshot. I have to give our front office MAJOR props for not budging and throwing him $80 mil. You can also see that he and Rick really don't mesh with each other.

So for the future that only leaves Barnes with $20 mil a year for 3 more years and then Dennis getting his in 5 or so. We should have so much $$$ to sign a second tier (maybe first, not getting my hopes up) free agent or two over the next 3 or so years. And then hopefully we get our next potential star in this year's draft, who will be making peanuts.

Right now my dream to build around is:

PG: Dennis Smith Jr.

SG:

SF: Harrison Barnes

PF: Michael Porter Jr.

C: DeAndre Ayton

Choose one of those two out of Porter/Ayton and I'm excited.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

I completely agree on the cuts. We don't run those for whatever reason, and the rare times we do it's for Devin Harris. We've never had an athlete or even a raw talent at this age before. Rick needs to get creative over the next few years.

My thoughts on our future and some current guys:

Barnes has been OK. His jumpshot has been very inconsistent but it does look like he's worked on other aspects of his game. They haven't shown up too much in the box score but just by watching you can tell. I think he's a #3 on a title team but for me that completely changes on whether we view him as the small forward of the future or the power forward of the future who shifts to small forward in certain lineups.

I really like Yogi as a back up PG. I'm really hoping he doesn't play himself into a close-to $10 mil a year contract from a team desperate for young guard talent. For the future I'd love DSJ as the franchise with Yogi as the primary back up, but also a 3rd PG who has size (6'4-6'5) and can play defense.

And then I do like Motley for the future. I think he'll end up developing into a really solid rebounding rotational big. Maybe Clavell can be something as well.

But after that, there's nothing to be excited for in current players imo. Dirk, Matthews, Barea, Harris are all clearly not part of the future. I like Finney-Smith as a defender but he offers little else, and I find it hard to believe we won't find another young, athletic small forward who can play defense but also put the ball in the basket.

Kleber, Withey, Mejri....Don't see them being here in 2 years.

And then we have Noel. I've completely changed my tune on him. Not only do I not think he'll ever be an All Star caliber center, I don't even think he's proven that he's a starter in this league. Some of this he can't control too much as he's TINY for 6'11. 90% of the bigs in this league absolutely dominate him down low. He doesn't have any semblance of a jump shot and he can't create at all. Honestly, I see him as a more talented Brandan Wright, but without the high-efficiency short range jumpshot. I have to give our front office MAJOR props for not budging and throwing him $80 mil. You can also see that he and Rick really don't mesh with each other.

So for the future that only leaves Barnes with $20 mil a year for 3 more years and then Dennis getting his in 5 or so. We should have so much $$$ to sign a second tier (maybe first, not getting my hopes up) free agent or two over the next 3 or so years. And then hopefully we get our next potential star in this year's draft, who will be making peanuts.

Right now my dream to build around is:

PG: Dennis Smith Jr.

SG:

SF: Harrison Barnes

PF: Michael Porter Jr.

C: DeAndre Ayton

Choose one of those two out of Porter/Ayton and I'm excited.

This entire roster is pretty bunk, DSJ aside. Dirk, god love him, is officially the old guy trying to hoop at the gym with the youngsters. It's getting hard to watch, tbh. I like HB, but in a perfect world he's a 6th man making well south of the max money he's making now. If he's one of your building blocks for future, I'm not sure I'd consider that a good thing. I'm a bigger Wes fan than most, but his contract is also pretty woof. He's an awesome dude to have around the locker room, especially for a certain 19 year old rookie to take notes from on how to be a professional, both on and off the court. Frankly, that applies to most of the roster, sans a few. So at least we've got that going for us....which is nice. I'm not ready to go full on "trust the process" but this team more or less needs to be blown up.

I agree completely on Noel. As far as I'm concerned, he's trade bait at this point. Maybe they can package him, with one of JJ or Devin, to send to a playoff team for a mid-late 1st rounder. Maybe a team like Boston who has 66 1st round picks over the next 4 years, who's incredibly young and could use a big....I dunno just spitballing. 

Unless someone from this class, just goes nuts and establishes themselves as a no brainer franchise, can't miss guy, etc. etc. I wouldn't mind terribly taking the inevitable top 3 pick, and trying to turn into several picks. It'd have to be for the right price obviously, this team desperately needs an infusion of young talent, and I have serious doubts that we'll be able make any kind of headway through FA, unless it's overpaying for middle of the road guys. 

Playing at Washington tonight. Should be a juicy loss.

Anyways, what I want to see from DSJ:

-2 or less turnovers

-7 or more assists

-at least 45% from the field

Points aren't my main concern with DSJ. Of course it'd be nice to see him drop 20 finally, but if he only scores 6, I won't be mad if he's not turning over the ball, is efficient, and is running the offense effectively (with sexy assist numbers). Defense isn't really a concern to me as well, unless he's literally not trying.

I'm also excited to see Barnes. His aggressiveness has tripled the past 5-6 games and he's scoring efficiently again. Hoping he goes for 25+ tonight.

Edited by Tyronnosaurus

6 hours ago, Texasmade said:

Pretty sure playing 40+ minutes a game would literally kill him lol. 

lol, right.

but play him more than what he is getting now, that's for sure. They might do that when Curry comes back, since he's a floor spacer that could open things up and make it easier for an old man to just catch and shoot.

Although I'd love to see him work his post-up magic.

We'll see what happens though.