Packers Draft Pick Watch - 14th pick

Ronald323

I want to say yes .. lose out and get the highest pick possible .. then I think of all the times the Packers have had their backs to the wall and managed to salvage their season and make the playoffs.  The odds look particularly long to me this year, but if they are .500 with a couple to go Rodgers could return just in time to go on a roll.  

52 minutes ago, MNPackfan32 said:

No. They should win out. Idk about you, but I like Super Bowls.

So do I but I can't see us winning a Super Bowl with this defense even if Rodgers returns.  

I doubt they will purposely lose.  They will go into every game with the goal to win the game but unless Hundley's game improves I don't see a lot of Ws going forward.  And if we do lose out and get a high pick that will help us in the long run more than any playoff spot will this year.

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, there's enough talent on this team to win a few games and keep us close in the wildcard.

I wish I was that optimistic.  Last year was the first time that a 9-7 team got a Wild Card spot since 2008.  Two seasons out of nine doesn't really give me reason to believe that 9 wins is going to get them in the playoffs.  Even if Rodgers comes back and wins his final two games, the Packers would need to 3-1 until then.  Do I realistically think we're going 3-1 over our next four games?  Probably not.

Losing out wouldn't even guarantee us a top 10 pick.  The difference between trying and failing and trying to fail is probably 3-5 picks tops.  The second you try to fail, you forget how to succeed as a franchise. 

I don't care how pessimistic or stupid someone is, there is no argument I can see where I wouldn't rather be in the playoffs.  Literally a chance at a Super Bowl versus no chance.  For all we know, we could luck our way into a Super Bowl win.  Say the Steelers beat the Patriots and the Steelers lose to some crap team because they always play to their competition.  Or even say we manage to beat three teams, go to the Super Bowl and we scrape our way to a win through a couple lucky bounces. 

I don't care if we're the 32nd ranked defense and the 32nd ranked offense heading into the playoffs, there's always a chance any team could beat any team in any given year.  Always.  And you don't know what a playoff win can do for a franchise.  Even one that's had playoff wins. 

All that said, I don't think there's a chance in hell we make the playoffs, and if we don't make the playoffs, yeah, I'd rather we were 5-11 than 7-9, but I sure as hell would never ever ever in a million years stop hoping for the playoffs until we're mathematically eliminated from them. 

Injuries happen in the NFL and you can't say we'd be better off next year if we had a better draft pick because for all we know, we could have 27 career ending injuries next year and this year would have been our last playoff appearance for 6 years.  Hell, you, yeah, you reading this.  You could die before next year starts.  Wouldn't you have rather watched one more Packers playoff game?

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Losing out wouldn't even guarantee us a top 10 pick.  The difference between trying and failing and trying to fail is probably 3-5 picks tops.  The second you try to fail, you forget how to succeed as a franchise. 

I don't care how pessimistic or stupid someone is, there is no argument I can see where I wouldn't rather be in the playoffs.  Literally a chance at a Super Bowl versus no chance.  For all we know, we could luck our way into a Super Bowl win.  Say the Steelers beat the Patriots and the Steelers lose to some crap team because they always play to their competition.  Or even say we manage to beat three teams, go to the Super Bowl and we scrape our way to a win through a couple lucky bounces. 

I don't care if we're the 32nd ranked defense and the 32nd ranked offense heading into the playoffs, there's always a chance any team could beat any team in any given year.  Always.  And you don't know what a playoff win can do for a franchise.  Even one that's had playoff wins. 

All that said, I don't think there's a chance in hell we make the playoffs, and if we don't make the playoffs, yeah, I'd rather we were 5-11 than 7-9, but I sure as hell would never ever ever in a million years stop hoping for the playoffs until we're mathematically eliminated from them. 

Injuries happen in the NFL and you can't say we'd be better off next year if we had a better draft pick because for all we know, we could have 27 career ending injuries next year and this year would have been our last playoff appearance for 6 years.  Hell, you, yeah, you reading this.  You could die before next year starts.  Wouldn't you have rather watched one more Packers playoff game?

Of course!  We all do.  We all want them to be successful.  But let's be realistic.  Unless this defense is fixed one way or another even if we get into the playoffs this year we aren't gonna get very deep even if Rodgers returns.  I for one would rather let AR heal completely, infuse the roster with more talent and field a defense who can force a competent offense to punt once in a while.   Doing these things will make playoff games in 2018 a hell of a lot more fun than they've been in years.

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

Of course!  We all do.  We all want them to be successful.  But let's be realistic.  Unless this defense is fixed one way or another even if we get into the playoffs this year we aren't gonna get very deep even if Rodgers returns.  I for one would rather let AR heal completely, infuse the roster with more talent and field a defense who can force a competent offense to punt once in a while.   Doing these things will make playoff games in 2018 a hell of a lot more fun than they've been in years.

We're 18th in DVOA and getting healthier. Hasn't all anybody has said for years is, "Field an average defense with Rodgers and we're superbowl favorites?"

3 hours ago, SassyFascistAlphaGuy said:

Some people talk we're the Browns but with Aaron Rodgers. The pack aren't that far away from competing with the best in the NFL. They just need a few blue chippers. Give this team another good pass rusher and a shutdown CB and they will be at least top 15. That's good enough for GODgers. 

Agreed.  If we had a competent backup QB instead of this 5th round project we wouldn't be in this situation we find ourselves in with AR on IR.

I know a lot of folks are ready to tar and feather Ted and Mike for not having a better QB to backup Godgers but I don't think it was a federal crime to spend our capital on improving the team around our fabulous QB.  Nobody had an issue with any of this until the unthinkable happened.  Except for MN and Jax all of the teams leading their divisions or going for a WC spot have elite or darn good QBs running their shows.  

I never see tanking as the correct strategy.  That being said, with Hundley at QB I only see two winnable games on the remaining schedule, and zero likely wins.  I have a suspicion that CLE will be getting their only win of the year in week 14 at home vs GB. 

7 hours ago, SassyFascistAlphaGuy said:

Some people talk we're the Browns but with Aaron Rodgers. The pack aren't that far away from competing with the best in the NFL. They just need a few blue chippers. Give this team another good pass rusher and a shutdown CB and they will be at least top 15. That's good enough for GODgers. 

GB has a better coach and far better QB.  Other than that, the difference between CLE and GB isn't much, and right now GB does not have the QB advantage.

Archived