Packers Draft Pick Watch - 14th pick

Ronald323

On 11/23/2017 at 7:16 AM, Pugger said:

If we had a competent backup QB instead of this 5th round project we wouldn't be in this situation we find ourselves in with AR on IR.

Pugger, I really respect your opinions, and want to say keep up the great posts. 

However, the sentiment that Hundley is a "5th round project" of a QB is just bologna. He was a 2nd round prospect (projected 3rd-4th at lowest) (source), that dropped to the 5th round because of the same reasons he's been challenged this season. Those are a lot of the same reasons that Rodgers fell to 24 from #1 in 2005 (source). So it isn't like McCarthy hasn't had experience fixing the same issues that plague Hundley today.

A few quotes from Scouts on Rodgers coming out in 2005:

Thing I struggle with him is he gets sacked a lot.

Heady guy.

Was Hundley a 1st round pedigree QB when he was drafted? No. But he was the year before. In July of 2014, he was mocked going #14 in the 2015 NFL Draft (source).

So what I'm trying to say, is that I wouldn't consider him a "5th round project QB" by definition. That's implying he didn't have a good chance to pan out. In reality, the draftniks around here were beyond excited to get a 1st Round talent QB in the 5th Round - with Mike giving him 3 years you'd expect him to be more prepared than he's looked. Some of that is the practice rules in the NFL, some of it falls on Hundley, and some on MM. Hopefully he keeps improving, but I wouldn't throw that "project" label on him. He came out with a much higher ceiling than most "project" QBs do.

On 11/28/2017 at 11:45 AM, blankman0021 said:

Pugger, I really respect your opinions, and want to say keep up the great posts. 

However, the sentiment that Hundley is a "5th round project" of a QB is just bologna. He was a 2nd round prospect (projected 3rd-4th at lowest) (source), that dropped to the 5th round because of the same reasons he's been challenged this season. Those are a lot of the same reasons that Rodgers fell to 24 from #1 in 2005 (source). So it isn't like McCarthy hasn't had experience fixing the same issues that plague Hundley today.

A few quotes from Scouts on Rodgers coming out in 2005:

Was Hundley a 1st round pedigree QB when he was drafted? No. But he was the year before. In July of 2014, he was mocked going #14 in the 2015 NFL Draft (source).

So what I'm trying to say, is that I wouldn't consider him a "5th round project QB" by definition. That's implying he didn't have a good chance to pan out. In reality, the draftniks around here were beyond excited to get a 1st Round talent QB in the 5th Round - with Mike giving him 3 years you'd expect him to be more prepared than he's looked. Some of that is the practice rules in the NFL, some of it falls on Hundley, and some on MM. Hopefully he keeps improving, but I wouldn't throw that "project" label on him. He came out with a much higher ceiling than most "project" QBs do.

Disagree that Hundley was anything other than a 5th round project. The media gets excited with QBs early on in the process. They start throwing out rankings without having broken guys down (or more importantly being told by professionals where these guys rank out). Hundley had and still has some ugly flaws that were going to scare teams away. 

Disagree that Hundley and Rodgers had the same issues.

You could live with the pocket issues with Hundley if the processing speed was up to par. 

38 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You could live with the pocket issues with Hundley if the processing speed was up to par. 

Here's a link to Ben Muth at Football Outsiders and he's their resident OL expert offering analysis

He's talking about the Packers OL, but much of his commentary is about how hard Hundley makes it on himself and the OL in the Detroit game. Its lots of little things and nuances that you can only learn by playing real games.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2017/word-muth-problems-passer

This is the description of the first gif:

" Hundley rides the jet fake too long and ends up 2 yards wide of where he should be. That may not seem like a huge difference, but it makes it very tough to pass-block an NFL defensive lineman when your quarterback is not set up where you think he's going to be. Because Hundley drifts to the right, Bulaga ends up in his lap pretty quick. Now Bulaga isn't perfect here, but I think there's a very good chance that he would have been in good enough position to anchor here and keep the defensive end off the quarterback if Hundley had been set up on the hash where he was supposed to be. These are the little things that inexperienced quarterbacks do that kill drives."

This is the reality of a grooming a young QB. Eventually the game slows down and the little things become 2nd nature, allowing you to process and play faster

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's a link to Ben Muth at Football Outsiders and he's their resident OL expert offering analysis

He's talking about the Packers OL, but much of his commentary is about how hard Hundley makes it on himself and the OL in the Detroit game. Its lots of little things and nuances that you can only learn by playing real games.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2017/word-muth-problems-passer

This is the description of the first gif:

" Hundley rides the jet fake too long and ends up 2 yards wide of where he should be. That may not seem like a huge difference, but it makes it very tough to pass-block an NFL defensive lineman when your quarterback is not set up where you think he's going to be. Because Hundley drifts to the right, Bulaga ends up in his lap pretty quick. Now Bulaga isn't perfect here, but I think there's a very good chance that he would have been in good enough position to anchor here and keep the defensive end off the quarterback if Hundley had been set up on the hash where he was supposed to be. These are the little things that inexperienced quarterbacks do that kill drives."

This is the reality of a grooming a young QB. Eventually the game slows down and the little things become 2nd nature, allowing you to process and play faster

Sounds exactly like what AG was just saying the other day about they never know where he's gonna be too.

It has been said that the  difference between good and great QB's is the processing of information. Night and day difference in the speed and complexity of the game between college and the NFL. It's not that the game slows down for you, it's that you are successful in learning to process the information much quicker.  I can't recall - maybe it was MM that said Rodgers was one of the best he ever worked with in that regard. I don't think Hundley is soft or slow, he just looks that way when confused or overwhelmed. If you've ever played sports then it will make perfect sense. It's a fine line between looking like you're playing in quicksand vs dancing 1" above the turf. Another thing I'll never forget was Rodgers saying he played the Super Bowl game so many times in his head, there was nothing he wasn't completely ready and prepared for. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm on board with that.  Realistically this team is going nowhere.  The higher the pick the better.

I seriously doubt they'll keep starters out in the coming 2 weeks.  That just sends a really bad message to the team.  I suspect the guys would like nothing better than to knock MN out of HFA and Detroit out of the post season altogether.  To be honest I'll all for that too.

If Atlanta wins tonight we are officially eliminated right? If that happens, which it probably will, what is the point of having AR start the last two games of the season? He isn't 100% recovered from his injury, why risk re-injury for two meaningless games? Rodgers said that if the Packers had been eliminated before the Carolina game that he wouldn't have came back. 

Archived