Least talented Super Bowl teams

NeptunePenguins

1 hour ago, Riftty said:

It’s gotta be the 2018 Pats for me. They beat a Rams team where their best player(Gurley) was a shell of his early season self. Kupp was out and Goff wasn’t hard to figure out. I think If the refs would have been better in the NFC championship game, the saints go on to win that Super Bowl. 

I disagree. The refs missed ALOT of calls on the Saints throughout the game which put the Rams in an uphill battle to come back in that game. They missed an obvious facemask call on Goff the drive before that missed PI. Had they gotten that right the Rams score a TD and the Saints wouldve needed a TD just to tie with the Rams having a chance to win on their last possession of the game in regulation. So pinning everything on that one missed PI call and not acknowledging the Rams were getting screwed call after call throughout the game isnt right.

With that said I agree that the Rams going into the Pats Superbowl game with Gurley being non effective and no Kupp really hurt them. You can say the Pats didnt deserve to be in the Superbowl bc the refs helped them against the Chiefs. It shouldve been Chiefs vs Rams in the Superbowl and the Chiefs wouldve won.

On 1/18/2023 at 6:14 PM, stl4life07 said:

I disagree. The refs missed ALOT of calls on the Saints throughout the game which put the Rams in an uphill battle to come back in that game. They missed an obvious facemask call on Goff the drive before that missed PI. Had they gotten that right the Rams score a TD and the Saints wouldve needed a TD just to tie with the Rams having a chance to win on their last possession of the game in regulation. So pinning everything on that one missed PI call and not acknowledging the Rams were getting screwed call after call throughout the game isnt right.

With that said I agree that the Rams going into the Pats Superbowl game with Gurley being non effective and no Kupp really hurt them. You can say the Pats didnt deserve to be in the Superbowl bc the refs helped them against the Chiefs. It shouldve been Chiefs vs Rams in the Superbowl and the Chiefs wouldve won.

Lol there were several blown calls agains the pats that fueled the chiefs second half comeback 

it was so bad that people who hated the patriots were in game threads talking about the pats are being screwed here 

Edited by CP3MVP

• 5 months later...

I think the 87 Redskins top the list. That whole season probably shouldn't even count. Was really a weak team talentwise that really caught a break with San Fran choking against the Vikings.

72 Redskins, a credit to George Allen as a head coach to lead this roster to being one of the best teams in the regular season and complete a run to the Super Bowl, by beating Dallas in the NFCCG no less. Such a hodge podge group of washed up veterans with all the older vets he was able to acquire from his old team in LA. Absolutely bonkers that this team was actually favored to win over the undefeated Dolphins going into that SB(they thought Shula was a choke artist, which may have been true). 

79 Rams-80 Eagles-82 Dolphins, such a different era back then when you had teams like this and the 79 Bucs that met in that NFCCG that season. Did not have to be loaded with superstar talent or have to have an elite level QB back then it was all about how well coached the team was, teams like these could get hot down the stretch come together as a unit and make it to a Super Bowl with QB's like Don Strock and David Woodley guys that would probably struggle to even make a roster in later times. Different times for sure. Shula being able to have the success he did with that Dolphins squad in 81-82 may be his finest work as a head coach. 

85 Patriots-86/87/89 Broncos- The balance was so far out in favor of the NFC during this era I feel like some of the AFC Champions from this era wouldn't have even made it out of the Wild Card round in the NFC bracket those years. 

Edited by ShinobiMusashi

As a Texans fan I remember thinking about how weak that Patriots team looked against us in the 2016 playoffs. I really thought we could have taken them down with Brock Osweiler(and he made 2 pretty great throws in that game that were both dropped in the end zone) of all people at QB. I know they played what has to be one of the easier schedules of any Super Bowl team in recent years(5 games against the worst of the worst teams in the league, a Steelers team with Landry Jones at QB, and I know when they beat us earlier that year both Duane Brown and Cushing were out). As they were getting beat 28-3 by Atlanta it crossed my mind that this could be one of the weakest teams to ever play in a Super Bowl, then the rest is history. Really a credit to Brady for dragging that team, seemingly against their will, to a Super Bowl win that year. 

Edited by ShinobiMusashi
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 7:47 PM, FinSting said:

1977 Broncos. What are you even doing in the Super Bowl? Sposed to be the Raiders year but that's the NFL surprise.

Denver QB Craig Morton, 4 completions to the offense, 4 completions to the defense (INT). QB rating of 0.0, this shizz is legendary. 

Offense was trash, but that D was loaded 

On 7/22/2023 at 4:31 AM, ShinobiMusashi said:

85 Patriots-86/87/89 Broncos- The balance was so far out in favor of the NFC during this era I feel like some of the AFC Champions from this era wouldn't have even made it out of the Wild Card round in the NFC bracket those years. 

The 85 Patriots had eight Pro Bowlers. They may have been the most talented team in the AFC. They just didn't have great QB's, and it showed in the Super Bowl.

As for the Bronco teams, though, I am with you. They were very lucky to be in three SB's in the 80's. They only had eleven Pro Bowlers those three years combined (not counting Sammy Winder in 86, who was only an alternate, and had under 800 yards rushing).

On 12/19/2022 at 7:03 PM, Shockwave said:

2005 Steelers

I kinda understand it because Ben wasn’t Ben yet. That offensive line was horrible too.

However, they had Troy P, Casey Hampton, and Joey Porter in their primes. They had a bunch of very solid role players on defense too.

41 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I kinda understand it because Ben wasn’t Ben yet. That offensive line was horrible too.

However, they had Troy P, Casey Hampton, and Joey Porter in their primes. They had a bunch of very solid role players on defense too.

The offensive line was good for the steelers in 2005.It was in 2008 that it was horrible.I think overall our 2005 team was better.More balanced

3 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

The offensive line was good for the steelers in 2005.It was in 2008 that it was horrible.I think overall our 2005 team was better.More balanced

I think the 2010 Steelers were better than their two SB winners, though. 

• 2 weeks later...

2015 Panthers Offense. 

The offense had just enough of the right pieces to take advantage of Cam's strengths. However Cam carried that team and inflated every element of that offense. Jonathan Stewart was becoming a shell of himself. Cam took defenders away from his RB's, made Ted Ginn a force to be respected in coverage with his arm, and made his o line look a better than they were. He was an automatic 3rd down conversion machine. Without Cam they were maybe an 9-7 team at best. 

Edited by RabidPanther89
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 2:28 PM, biggie. said:

Mainly cuz of Zombie Peyton and their o-line. RBs were decent and the receivers were solid.

C.J. Anderson was the only good RB they had that year. At WR, Emmanuel Sanders was the best that they had. Demaryius Thomas had a lot of drops that year, and Cody Latimer didn't have the trust of Peyton Manning. After that, their WR's weren't much.