The Anthony Richardson Thread

brownie man

I'd want nothing to do with either Richardson or Levis. PhYsIcAl ToOlS are getting so overrated. People want to bring up Cam Newton, but while he was a flawed passer he was Joe Montana compared to someone like Richardson.

In fact the only QB I'd be interested is Young and MAYBE Hooker.

Edited by biggie.

6 hours ago, biggie. said:

Cam Newton won a National Championship and was essentially a one man army for Auburn.

Allen made Wyoming not completely suck.

Besides, what reason is there to reasonably bet that Richardson is gonna pan out like those two? What has he done besides beba Combine warrior? Vernon Gholston was that too.

Love the Vernon Gholston comp. Makes perfect sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:
7 hours ago, biggie. said:

Cam Newton won a National Championship and was essentially a one man army for Auburn.

Allen made Wyoming not completely suck.

Besides, what reason is there to reasonably bet that Richardson is gonna pan out like those two? What has he done besides beba Combine warrior? Vernon Gholston was that too.

Love the Vernon Gholston comp. Makes perfect sense

I mean, Gholston had 8.5 sacks as a sophomore, 14 as a junior, and embarrassed #1 overall pick Jake Long with 3 sacks as well.

Respectfully, Gholston had legitimate production and quality film for 2 years as well as elite combine measurables.

He wasn’t a guy like Barkevius Mingo or something.

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I mean, Gholston had 8.5 sacks as a sophomore, 14 as a junior, and embarrassed #1 overall pick Jake Long with 3 sacks as well.

Respectfully, Gholston had legitimate production and quality film for 2 years as well as elite combine measurables.

He wasn’t a guy like Barkevius Mingo or something.

Barkevious had a pretty good agent. Kept resurfacing years after he should have

4 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I didn't see Allen in college,

Josh Allen was a straight up bad QB with a huge arm in college.  You drafted him because you believe in his ability to improve, and his tools not because he's actually good at football.  But again, the goal is to draft good NFL players not good college players.

I always see Allen brought up.    Mahomes also wasn't talked about as a universal 1st Round pick,  until like a month before the draft.   

I don't think anyone is saying it's not risky,    but there's a reason people look for the traits.  

*This should still be merged with the other Anthony Richardson thread.

The premise isn't far wrong.

Anthony Richardson has a strong arm and above average accuracy for a RB, which is what he is.  Not a passer.  Comparisons with Cam Newton overlook the fact that Newton was Dan Marino next to Anthony Richardson.  AntRich may be perfect for a team with no WRs that wants to lose (i.e. tank, like Carolina) or win (e.g. Baltimore, based on defense and, perhaps, a Tight End when healthy). 

Richardson is hardly ideal for the other franchises.  Best thing about Jimmy G going to Las Vegas?  He ain't AR.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This is a textbook case of why not to box score scout. Those incompletions were some pretty passes. 

My recollection of that game is that we were already down a bunch of WRs due to injuries and guys hitting the transfer portal. Due to that, we were forced to rely on a true freshman three-star WR (Caleb Douglas) who was not ready for the moment and dropped a number of catchable balls. Additionally, I believe Ricky Pearsall, who was killing FSU in the first half, was knocked out of the game late in the first half or early in the second half. And he was our only reliable WR.

That said, Richardson did have some genuinely terrible throws in the second half. IIRC, on the final drive, he overthrew the TE (Odom) by 10 yards on a curl route that would have put us in first and goal. And then on the hail mary, he threw the ball out of play into the stands.

He may just be being coached up well during the pre draft process but he sounds like he’s got the right amount of confident and self-awareness in interviews.  Also great charisma in workouts and with his teammates.  Some in the 4-8 range is falling in love with him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

He may just be being coached up well during the pre draft process but he sounds like he’s got the right amount of confident and self-awareness in interviews.  Also great charisma in workouts and with his teammates.  Some in the 4-8 range is falling in love with him.

Agreed. I think how guys project as leaders is one of the most overlooked aspects of evaluating QBs. 

Guys like Hurts, Burrow, Mahomes etc. were able to command respwct immediately. While guys like Kyler, Baker, Rosen, Wilson, etc didn’t really have the mental makeup to lead an nfl locker room. 

• Like 2