The Anthony Richardson Thread

brownie man

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

I think AR-15 would be a dangerous weapon with the Colts. Colts have some serious offensive talent and add AR-15 with a solid TE and you'd have something special. 

For one he does not want to be called AR-15 for obvious reason, good choice by him in this gun psycho country that clearly glorify guns as if they all were only used in video games...

But the Colts do have some weapons, that OL is crap outside of Nelson, Kelly and sometimes Smith so they have to fix that.  But that TE room is special with Granson, I love Jelani Woods and Cox as well.  They just have to use them right and probably add another weapon at WR.  Not sure he would be a great fit because Richardson might need to sit more than one year and the Colts almost need someone who could play instantly.  Not sure Richardson is that guy.  

11 hours ago, Danger said:

Honestly? Interviews will be pivotal for him. He needs to come across as knowledgeable, prepared, and incredibly competitive. 

I give him about a 20% chance of being successful in this league, but if he does pan out he'll be something special.

He has a crazy long ways to go but so does Trey Lance for example.   Trey showed a lot more poise and control in the pocket along with more accuracy but both are similar prospects, given time their upside is absolutely massive with the physical athletic ability and arm talent they have.  And I still say Richardson is way farther along as a passer and in terms of general arm talent than Malik Willis was who is way more of a run 1st QB.   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 5:01 PM, Ozzy said:

Not sure he would be a great fit because Richardson might need to sit more than one year and the Colts almost need someone who could play instantly.

Count me as a Richardson believer, though I agree he’d need to sit. If we (Seattle) pass on Stroud in the top 5, my hope is we’d target him in the mid-1st to ideally sit behind Geno Smith for a season or two. 

I’m also high on Hendon Hooker relative to where he’s projected to go. Both of these names are miles ahead of Malik Willis for me. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics
  • Like 1

I am pretty sure he will be Josh McDaniels chosen QB for the Raiders.

- Isn't very likely to be selected before the Raiders are on the clock, which means he doesn't have to trade up.
- Played at Florida, a school the Patriots staff plucked from frequently. Josh and Ziegler would I assume have similar connections.
- Run game threat, outside of Brady Josh McDaniels drafted Tim Tebow in the first, and signed Cam Newton to follow up Brady. He would have plays designed for his ability.
- Raw enough that if it pans out it would re-enforce his 'QB Whisperer' reputation.
- Unlimited upside, upside that potentially could compete in the AFC West.
- If it fails, it's a risky prospect that wasn't likely to succeed anyways and wouldn't hamper his job potential. Like if he was fired for missing and sucking, he still could go back to NE and replace Bill one day.

On 12/19/2022 at 7:58 AM, HerbertGOAT said:

He's ridiculously good when he doesn't suck.

I wouldn't draft him. But I have much more faith in him than Will Levis.

This is where I'm at. I'm really low on Levis, if I am going to take a project pick, they need ELITE skills like Richardson has. Levis is a massive project who is just a traditional big arm pocket passer. That's not enough risk-reward for a project IMO. Plus Levis just doesn't impress me. Richardson likely busts but he can also be a superstar. Levis isn't going to be a superstar. 

• Like 2

I do not trust Richardson at all as a QB in the NFL.  I would never draft someone with such limited experience and production.  Drafting solely on measurables is not smart and although I agree he has some of the best athletic numbers from a QB we have seen, he has not put it together on the field in three years. He has never had a 60% completion percentage, never had a better than 2-1 TD to Int ratio, doesn't show an ability to read defenses or that he understands the position etc.  Sure Josh Allen had similar numbers in college and he worked out but he is the exception and I won't draft someone that high hoping for an exception.  He very well may work out but I hope the Lions don't risk it unless he is there in the late 2nd/3rd at best and have a plan for him.  He should end up somewhere he can sit like Jordan Love did and learn how to play the position for a few years but thats a waste of an early pick IMO and you may only get one useful year out of him before having to either pay or let him go.  

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, brownie man said:

Would anyone recommend a good game to watch or Richardson to beat showcase his current state as a QB?

I know he played well vs Utah but is there a better game to showcase the good and the bad of where his game is right now? 

Tennessee.  He plays pretty well, but also makes plenty of mistakes.

Utah for highs, Kentucky or Vanderbilt for lows.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Daniel Jeremiah said on his podcast he spoke to an executive who believes the QB race in this year's draft has four names and not three - Anthony Richardson is right there. 

Josh Allen really helped vault the "raw and toolsy" guys for the draft hype trains.

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Tennessee.  He plays pretty well, but also makes plenty of mistakes.

Utah for highs, Kentucky or Vanderbilt for lows.

Agreed. He makes several impressive plays against Tennessee that would make a person want to "roll the dice" on him as a prospect. During that same game you can also see his inconsistencies as well with some erratic throws. This play always sticks out to me from that game:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah.

Josh Allen has been a triumph of good coaching, not all those guys will get that (most won't!).  

He also had almost zero surrounding talent around him at Wyoming and was in a system that more or less demanded him to be less efficient, throw downfield more, discarded valuing accuracy/etc.

Richardson wasn't necessarily in the same camp IMO at Florida. Granted, he wasn't surrounded by talent everywhere, but still.

Maybe someone drafts him later, let's him get some polish and refinement, but I'd argue that Allen demonstrated some incredible arm talent and moments of elite accuracy at Wyoming, and I never really got that from Richardson from the pocket. He had some "WOW" moments and off-platform success against teams like Tennessee, but I see next to no semblance of pocket presence from winning inside the pocket or throwing in rhythm on time.

I think he'd be a really fun D2 prospect that you hope pans out after some time and coaching, but if you ask him to start or play much Year 1, I don't see that ending well.

JMHO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He also had almost zero surrounding talent around him at Wyoming and was in a system that more or less demanded him to be less efficient, throw downfield more, discarded valuing accuracy/etc.

Richardson wasn't necessarily in the same camp IMO at Florida. Granted, he wasn't surrounded by talent everywhere, but still.

Maybe someone drafts him later, let's him get some polish and refinement, but I'd argue that Allen demonstrated some incredible arm talent and moments of elite accuracy at Wyoming, and I never really got that from Richardson from the pocket. He had some "WOW" moments and off-platform success against teams like Tennessee, but I see next to no semblance of pocket presence from winning inside the pocket or throwing in rhythm on time.

I think he'd be a really fun D2 prospect that you hope pans out after some time and coaching, but if you ask him to start or play much Year 1, I don't see that ending well.

JMHO

Oh, I'm not saying Richardson is anything like Allen as a prospect. I'm just agreeing that Allen is gonna get guys with enticing physical tools, overdrafted. But what's made Allen good in the NFL, as much as his rare physical talent, is the incredible coaching job he has received. I think too often that is taken out of the mix when we talk about prospects versus busts. 

• Like 2