The Anthony Richardson Thread

brownie man

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

Oh, I'm not saying Richardson is anything like Allen as a prospect. I'm just agreeing that Allen is gonna get guys with enticing physical tools, overdrafted. But what's made Allen good in the NFL, as much as his rare physical talent, is the incredible coaching job he has received. I think too often that is taken out of the mix when we talk about prospects versus busts. 

Oh yeah I didn't mean to come across argumentative at all, so much as it was my intention to add to the overall conversation and body here. :) 

• Like 1

Just now, goldfishwars said:

Oh, I'm not saying Richardson is anything like Allen as a prospect. I'm just agreeing that Allen is gonna get guys with enticing physical tools, overdrafted. But what's made Allen good in the NFL, as much as his rare physical talent, is the incredible coaching job he has received. I think too often that is taken out of the mix when we talk about prospects versus busts. 

Yep.  He's already getting a bunch of draft analysts to overvalue some QBs.

They've been drafting toolsy, low accuracy, raw QBs for decades, but they never worked out.  Allen is the first one to really hit, and he hit big, which makes a bunch of people overvalue the type.  It's like thinking a lottery ticket is a sound investment just because someone you know wins.  The risk/reward ratio didn't change.

And as good a season as Daboll got out of Danny Dimes this year, it's pretty clear to me that it's about the developers.  Turns out great QB coaches get great results out of QBs.  Who'da thunk?

• Like 5

On 1/27/2023 at 8:41 AM, goldfishwars said:

Well, I'm saying Richardson is SUPER similar to Allen as a prospect. Allen, too, did not really have a sample size of throwing with rhythm etc. Remember, most people preferred the accuracy or Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold etc over Allen. Heck, some people preferred Mason Rudolph's accuracy and mechanics over Allen.

The main thing with Allen was that you saw flashes (like Richardson), his physical traits were truly elite (like Richardson) and his character and football IQ were also considered amazing. Not sure where Richardson stands on that.

Allen landed with a good coaching staff and a patient front office that tried to build around him, much like with Hurts and the Eagles. That's going to be super important for Richardson. 

14 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Well, I'm saying Richardson is SUPER similar to Allen as a prospect. Allen, too, did not really have a sample size of throwing with rhythm etc. Remember, most people preferred the accuracy or Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold etc over Allen. Heck, some people preferred Mason Rudolph's accuracy and mechanics over Allen.

The main thing with Allen was that you saw flashes (like Richardson), his physical traits were truly elite (like Richardson) and his character and football IQ were also considered amazing. Not sure where Richardson stands on that.

Allen landed with a good coaching staff and a patient front office that tried to build around him, much like with Hurts and the Eagles. That's going to be super important for Richardson. 

Okay, none of this refutes what I said

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 8:00 PM, Trojan said:

I am pretty sure he will be Josh McDaniels chosen QB for the Raiders.

- Isn't very likely to be selected before the Raiders are on the clock, which means he doesn't have to trade up.
- Played at Florida, a school the Patriots staff plucked from frequently. Josh and Ziegler would I assume have similar connections.
- Run game threat, outside of Brady Josh McDaniels drafted Tim Tebow in the first, and signed Cam Newton to follow up Brady. He would have plays designed for his ability.
- Raw enough that if it pans out it would re-enforce his 'QB Whisperer' reputation.
- Unlimited upside, upside that potentially could compete in the AFC West.
- If it fails, it's a risky prospect that wasn't likely to succeed anyways and wouldn't hamper his job potential. Like if he was fired for missing and sucking, he still could go back to NE and replace Bill one day.

McDaniels system emphasizes accuracy and Richardson is arguably the least accurate first round QB prospect that we've ever seen. I don't see them investing a top 10 pick into a guy that is a year or two away when they might get fired next year. 

On 1/27/2023 at 9:46 AM, Daniel said:

They've been drafting toolsy, low accuracy, raw QBs for decades, but they never worked out

Jamarcus Russell and Akili Smith have entered the chatroom.

In all honesty, Kelly and Steve Young were the last guys I can remember before Allen panning out in that department…that’s a long time ago.

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Jamarcus Russell and Akili Smith have entered the chatroom.

In all honesty, Kelly and Steve Young were the last guys I can remember before Allen panning out in that department…that’s a long time ago.

The thing that scares me with Richardson is that other than Josh Allen, I can't remember any QB prospect that had extreme issues with accuracy and then went onto be a good NFL starter. He gets compared to guys like Cam Newton, Jalen Hurts, and Lamar Jackson as well but all three of those guys were extremely dominant in college, he wasn't despite all of his physical tools.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The thing that scares me with Richardson is that other than Josh Allen, I can't remember any QB prospect that had extreme issues with accuracy and then went onto be a good NFL starter. He gets compared to guys like Cam Newton, Jalen Hurts, and Lamar Jackson as well but all three of those guys were extremely dominant in college, he wasn't despite all of his physical tools.

The closest thing you’ll find is Matt Stafford, but he showed progression each year at Georgia. Then you have to go back to maybe Matt Ryan and from there someone like Favre or Aikman.

• Like 1

Yeah.  Players like Richardson are a lottery ticket.

You probably need a good QB developer on staff to give him a real chance, and even then, it's gonna take time.  And I like Richardson as a prospect.  I think he's worth a later first round pick all day, but you need the infrastructure on staff for that pick to make sense.

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah.  Players like Richardson are a lottery ticket.

You probably need a good QB developer on staff to give him a real chance, and even then, it's gonna take time.  And I like Richardson as a prospect.  I think he's worth a later first round pick all day, but you need the infrastructure on staff for that pick to make sense.

I think he'd make a ton of sense for Detroit or Seattle with their second first round picks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Those would be fantastic landing spots for him.

I think Detroit is probably the best fit. Dan Campbell should be there for the foreseeable future, he'd get to work with one of the best young offensive coaches in the league in Ben Johnson, and they have a young core of skill players (ARSB/Swift/Jameo) that would be on the same timeline.