Week 16: San Francisco 49ers vs Washington Commanders

J-ALL-DAY

18 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Does anyone else find Nick Bosa's lack of outward intensity pretty awesome?  He has a unique sideline demeanor in that he looks half awake out there.  I imagine he has some of the highest quality sleep in the world.

He is such a superior technician out there.  Does the electrician jump up and down when he fixes a light switch, do the plumbers all hug each other after they finish snaking a drain? You put him on the field, and he gets pressures, like, what did you think was going to happen? 

I love great players in sports that go against the stereotypical normalcy of needing to have a "fiery spirit", screaming at teammates, or breaking equipment on the sidelines like a petulant child. Because according to a large contingent of armchair psychologists that shows "passion". Guys like Joe Montana, Tim Duncan, Jimmy G, and I guess Nick Bosa all seem to just be 100% chill 24/7 even in the face of adversity or tough times, but that doesn't necessarily denote "not caring". People just have different personalities, and I wish the peanut gallery understood that more. But then again maybe some folks are just never happy, because Mac Jones right now is getting dragged through the mud for his temper on the Patriots sidelines. I guess when Tom Brady does it it's endorsed, because winning changes the length of a leash. GordonRamsayMeme.jpg

Anyway, off my soapbox...for now...

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I totally messed that up. I forgot about Jimmy in 2017 and just subtracted everything from 2017 lol messed up the whole thing. I don't generally like to use Statmuse because I'm not positive on the stats they provide, but this was the baseline I had found initially:

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/george-kittle-stats-without-jimmy-garoppolo#:~:text=George Kittle has 130 catches,Jimmy Garoppolo in his career.

No, you're good. To be clear, I took EVERYTHING from 2017 out for Kittle. It was his rookie season and he didn't put up big numbers and was still trying to establish himself. 

It's nuts though that from 2018 on he is averaging over 25 yards per game with the back up QBs. Some of that is due to circumstances of course ala Deebo being hurt in both 2020 and this year. But you just can't deny his high YPC and ignore how he is able to make more plays down the field with non-Jimmy G QBs. 

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I love great players in sports that go against the stereotypical normalcy of needing to have a "fiery spirit", screaming at teammates, or breaking equipment on the sidelines like a petulant child. Because according to a large contingent of armchair psychologists that shows "passion". Guys like Joe Montana, Tim Duncan, Jimmy G, and I guess Nick Bosa all seem to just be 100% chill 24/7 even in the face of adversity or tough times, but that doesn't necessarily denote "not caring". People just have different personalities, and I wish the peanut gallery understood that more. But then again maybe some folks are just never happy, because Mac Jones right now is getting dragged through the mud for his temper on the Patriots sidelines. I guess when Tom Brady does it it's endorsed, because winning changes the length of a leash. GordonRamsayMeme.jpg

Anyway, off my soapbox...for now...

I feel like leadership comes in all different forms, but is at it's best when it is authentic.  Lack of anger and lack of passion are different, but a lot of people mistake one for the other.  You want guys to be in their optimum headspace to make plays, but it is more manageable when you have guys like Nick Bosa or Jerry Rice, as opposed to guys like Charles Haley or Terrell Owens.  It is also cool when leaders can balance the intensity without being jerks, and use their energy to lift the play of others.  Guys like Patrcik Willis and Fred Warner come to mind.  Other times you get a guy who seems to be a mix of everything, like Trent Williams.  

I think that Nick Bosa plays with pure intensity on the field, then conserves his energy for the next one.  What makes Bosa's sideline demeanor unique, even among the guys you described above, is he does not have a leader's burden on his shoulders.  Sure, he sets a great example with his work ethic, knowledge, and technique, but he is ultimately only responsible for completing his own assignment on a given play.  It gives him an ability to internalize his focus and then target it with laser like precision.  

That being said, I am just a dude watching on TV guessing what these guys are like.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I feel like leadership comes in all different forms, but is at it's best when it is authentic.  Lack of anger and lack of passion are different, but a lot of people mistake one for the other.  You want guys to be in their optimum headspace to make plays, but it is more manageable when you have guys like Nick Bosa or Jerry Rice, as opposed to guys like Charles Haley or Terrell Owens.  It is also cool when leaders can balance the intensity without being jerks, and use their energy to lift the play of others.  Guys like Patrcik Willis and Fred Warner come to mind.  Other times you get a guy who seems to be a mix of everything, like Trent Williams.  

I think that Nick Bosa plays with pure intensity on the field, then conserves his energy for the next one.  What makes Bosa's sideline demeanor unique, even among the guys you described above, is he does not have a leader's burden on his shoulders.  Sure, he sets a great example with his work ethic, knowledge, and technique, but he is ultimately only responsible for completing his own assignment on a given play.  It gives him an ability to internalize his focus and then target it with laser like precision.  

That being said, I am just a dude watching on TV guessing what these guys are like.

Very well stated...and I agree.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Great game guys!

You guys are legit. 

Good luck the rest of the way. You guys are excellent in all phases of the game.

Honestly, you guys looked like a Superbowl team. I'll be very surprised, if you're not representing the NFC in the Superbowl.

Unfortunately for us, it looks like we're folding in this Playoff hunt.

I don't have much confidence in our team, with our QB situation.

Anyways, great victory & maybe you guys can get that #2 seed.

So great job!

Man, if you guys could just find a QB that could give you average to above average play all season, you guys would win 11+ games a year with that defense and offensive skill guys. 

The Commanders are so close to being legit. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Great game guys!

You guys are legit. 

Good luck the rest of the way. You guys are excellent in all phases of the game.

Honestly, you guys looked like a Superbowl team. I'll be very surprised, if you're not representing the NFC in the Superbowl.

Unfortunately for us, it looks like we're folding in this Playoff hunt.

I don't have much confidence in our team, with our QB situation.

Anyways, great victory & maybe you guys can get that #2 seed.

So great job!

Same to you, good luck rest of the way, you guys got screwed against the Giants IMO, clear DPI on the last Henicke throw.

• Like 2

Below are Pro Football Focus' five highest-graded 49ers players on offense against the Commanders.

George Kittle, TE, 95.6, 47 snaps
Brock Purdy, QB, 79.7, 52 snaps
Spencer Burford, RG, 78.8, 25 snaps
Brandon Aiyuk, WR, 75.7, 50 snaps
Daniel Brunskill, RG, 74.7, 27 snaps

Below are the five highest-graded 49ers players on defense.

Nick Bosa, DE, 92.2, 55 snaps
Jordan Willis, DE, 87.5, 28 snaps
Ambry Thomas, CB, 78.1, 6 snaps
Michael Dwumfour, DT, 77.9, 22 snaps
Fred Warner, LB, 76.1, 67 snaps

Brock Purdy finds himself among the five highest-graded 49ers players on offense for the first time. The rookie quarterback's upward trending grades continue, starting with a 61.4 overall mark in his first extended playing time during Week 13 against the Miami Dolphins and climbing to 79.7 against the Commanders (69.1 vs. TB, 70.3 vs. SEA).

Purdy finished the game 15-of-22 for 234 passing yards, two touchdowns, an interception, and a passer rating of 114.6. He becomes the first quarterback in franchise history to win his first three NFL starts and the first rookie quarterback since 1950 to win his first three starts and throw two-or-more touchdown passes in each game.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/165080-pffs-highest-lowest-graded-49ers-players-commanders-plus-counts/

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

That big post route touchdown is just kind of hilarious to watch on film. It was a Mills (or Gator or Pin or whatever syntax one personally uses for that concept). Mills is a quarters killer, but it's cover 3. But the middle field safety cheats hard on an in breaking route that isn't there, so Kittle doesn't even have to finish his route to hold the middle field safety to open up the post route behind him and breaks his route off to the post to take advantage of the empty space. Looked like a double post live lol. It's that sort of absurd defensive cheating that it is beautiful to punish down the field. Long may it continue.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JIllg said:

That big post route touchdown is just kind of hilarious to watch on film. It was a Mills (or Gator or Pin or whatever syntax one personally uses for that concept). Mills is a quarters killer, but it's cover 3. But the middle field safety cheats hard on an in breaking route that isn't there, so Kittle doesn't even have to finish his route to hold the middle field safety to open up the post route behind him and breaks his route off to the post to take advantage of the empty space. Looked like a double post live lol. It's that sort of absurd defensive cheating that it is beautiful to punish down the field. Long may it continue.

I'm curious if Shanny was pissed that Kittle went rogue. I get that it was there, but Shanny is kind of a "all the pieces need to work in harmony" type. Another time, that may end up incomplete because of confusion on who is getting the ball there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm curious if Shanny was pissed that Kittle went rogue. I get that it was there, but Shanny is kind of a "all the pieces need to work in harmony" type. Another time, that may end up incomplete because of confusion on who is getting the ball there. 

He said he was mad until he saw the refs hands go up LOL.

• Like 5

After watching Jonny's video, I'm more impressed with Kinlaw, if he can stay healthy the rest of the way, I'd consider picking up his 5th yr option, it'll only be $9.562M, yes fully GTD, but he is a good player, just needs to stay healthy, glad to have both him and AA back.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 49erscap said:

After watching Jonny's video, I'm more impressed with Kinlaw, if he can stay healthy the rest of the way, I'd consider picking up his 5th yr option, it'll only be $9.562M, yes fully GTD, but he is a good player, just needs to stay healthy, glad to have both him and AA back.

Kinlaw is a very strong man.  The way he was able to hold up throughout the play, even when his legs were down there in the pile, he was still pushing.  He had only been back on the field a few snaps and he had the confidence to hang in there and clog up the play.  That's very impressive.  Having a dude who can clog run lanes and hold up is nice.  

One random play I liked was a play by TY McGill, he blew through the line and smashed the running back.  It was a play fake, but he made it a very painful play fake for the RB.  Teams have to earn everything against this defense, lol. 

• Like 1